Thread: Australian Arcade Championships - 17th & 18th of August 2019

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)

Australian Arcade Championships - 17th & 18th of August 2019

Introducing the inaugural Australian Arcade Championships!!

In the second weekend of the Ekka Pinball Arcade Showcase, Jon Tannahill, the Brisbane Pinball & Arcade collective and some of Brisbane's finest arcade legends will be bringing you a two day arcade event to find the best of the best.

Ticket information will be available in the coming weeks.

Save the date mates!!!

Format below:

Quick Overview:
    The Australian Arcade Championship is a 2-day tournament featuring classic arcade games from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Players will be allowed 30 game attempts on the Saturday with their top 5 scores going toward qualifying. The top 16 will return on Sunday for a head to head best of 3 single elimination battle royale.

Qualifying Round Overview:
    The qualifying round of the tournament will consist of 30 attempts per player across however many games have been available for this round of the tournament. Players may play any machine as many times as he or she likes with the knowledge that only 30 attempts are allowed in total across all games. When a player has finished all his or her 30 attempts, their qualifying round is over. There shall be no additional buy ins or tournament entries allowed for any one person.

A qualifying attempt shall be defined as one single credit game played on any of the tournament machines. Games must be completed in single player mode and with no continues permitted. A time limit of 15 minutes will be enforced for all qualifying attempts. Any attempt exceeding this 15 minute time limit shall be void.

Once the qualifying round has ended, the top 16 ranked players will proceed to the Finals round the following day.

Qualifying Round Scoring:
    All scores on a machine are maintained in a ranking. Point values will be attributed to each player based on his or her ranking on each machine. The total qualifying score for each play is the total point values attributed to his or her ranks on each of the machines in the tournament. In the instance of two or more scores on a machine being exactly tied, the highest rank and associated points will be awarded to each score.

Each rank on a machine contributes the following points to a player’s total qualifying score:
    1st = 100 points
    2nd = 99 points
    3rd = 98 points
    4th to 100th = 97 down to 1 point/s
    101st onwards = 1 point

While each player may use his or her 30 attempts across all available machines, only his or her top 5 ranks will count towards his or her total qualifying score. Therefore the highest qualifying score a player may have is 500 (ranked 1st in 5 games at 100 points each). This also means that a player is not required to play all machines available and may qualify for the finals having only played a minimum of five machines.

Qualifying Tie-break Procedure
    In the event that two or more competitors are tied on the qualifying bubble, such that not all of the tied competitors can advance to the final rounds, the highest single ranked game between the competitors will be used to determine which competitor advances. If the highest ranked game for both competitors is also tied, the tiebreaker will be decided by the next highest ranked game, and so on, until the tie has been settled. In the unlikely event that this method does not break the tie due to the players’ five qualifying ranks matching exactly, a coin will be flipped to determine the outcome.

All non-essential qualifying ties, which is any tie not related to the qualifying bubble, will be decided in a similar fashion. The winner of each tie-breaking procedure will always receive the higher seed. Players will never be given a choice of seed at any point.

Final Rounds
    The top 16 players will be seeded in a single elimination tournament bracket so that seeds 1 and 2 cannot meet until the final match.

In each best of 3 head-to-head match, the higher seed selects the first game, the lower seed selecting the second game, and the higher seed selects the third game. If either seed defers the choice of machine a random title will be chosen by a Tournament Director with the result of the choice not being assigned to either player. Once a player has made a verbal declaration to a scorekeeper or Tournament Director, either by choosing an arcade title or deferring to an opponent, the decision is declared final and cannot be altered.

The choice of arcade title or deferment during the final rounds will proceed by order of seed from highest to lowest. Once an arcade title has been chosen, it cannot be chosen by another group of competitors during that same round. This limitation intentionally gives higher qualifying seeds an advantage when choosing arcade titles during the final rounds.

Competitors are only permitted to choose an arcade title once during the entirety of the final rounds. For example, if a higher-seed chooses Ms. Pac-Man in the first game of the first round, he or she will not be permitted to choose Ms. Pac-Man again for the remainder of the tournament. His or her opponent could still pick Ms. Pac-Man, however, making it possible that a competitor could play the same game multiple times.

In the final round, the two finalists shall compete over 5 games with the higher seed selecting the first game, lower seed selecting the second, higher seed selecting the third, lower seed selecting the fourth and the fifth being selected at random from games neither player has competed on in the finals thus far.

Arcade titles during the final rounds will be designated best-of-three or single-game, based solely on the estimated length of game time of the arcade title in question. Tournament Directors reserve the right to adjust this designation at any point. All games in the finals shall have a time limit of 30 minutes.

On any game designated as best-of-three, competitors will play separate single-player games and will compare scores, with the lower seed playing first in the first game. After the first game in each round, the loser of the previous game will have the option of playing first or second in the subsequent game until an overall winner for the round has been determined.

Tournament Directors reserve the right to substitute or add additional arcade titles or duplicate machines to the final rounds. If any arcade titles are added to the final rounds that were not used during the qualifying portion of the contest, all competitors will be given a 3-minute warm-up period on the machine prior to their having to compete on it. In most situations, games will only be added to the final rounds to offset malfunctions or mechanical failures that occurred during the qualifying portion of the event.

Format subject to change at the discretion of the tournament directors.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2292 Post(s)
    OMG - This format sounds absolutely amazing.

Can not wait for this event, it will be HUGE!

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    674 Post(s)
    If I can make it up there that week (no promises but I've got 6 months to save some cash) I now have to choose between this or the Brisbane Masters. Probably can't do both due to it being impossible to be in 2 places at once.

Bloody first world problems

Edit: Now that I think of it Barra will probably come over and kick all our arses and take ANOTHER trophy back across the ditch. If I stick to bashing a silver ball around it's not my fault if that happens

State
    Western ausralis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hello how do I join this awesome weekend to shine .

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    wa
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    im in ill start saveing

State
    Brisbane - Wakerley
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Sounds great, shame about the clash with the BM. Guess Iíll play in the comp Iím less likely to suck in!

Mmmm if thereís an Aus Arcade Championship t-shirt Iím in, got enough pinball shirts

Easily swayed arenít I....
    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2292 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    Sounds great, shame about the clash with the BM. Guess I’ll play in the comp I’m less likely to suck in!

Mmmm if there’s an Aus Arcade Championship t-shirt I’m in, got enough pinball shirts

Easily swayed aren’t I....
    Yeah it is a bit of a shame. I was half thinking about playing BM - but I'll prob stick with arcade - stick with the easy beats like @Foot and @Brad

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1059 Post(s)
    OH YES
    I'm assuming this is open to your good Kiwi friends from across the ditch
    Sounds amazing!

My stream - http://www.twitch.tv/barranz - Pop in and say hello!

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    674 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post
    OH YES
    I'm assuming this is open to your good Kiwi friends from across the ditch
    Sounds amazing!
    Of course it will be. Qualifying and finals for Kiwi players will be held in the sheep pavilion.

Gives the rest of us a fighting chance

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    666 Post(s)
    I love the format.

The finals will be interesting. They are going to require great strategy as well as great gameplay.

You can only choose each game once during the whole of the finals.

Do you play your favourite/preferred game first to increase your chance to get through to the next round or do you gamble on a different game and hope to win and get your preferred game in a later final?

It will be very good to watch what players do.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information