Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Australian Arcade Championships - 17th & 18th of August 2019

Am i right in thinking if u get the top 5 rankings on a single machine u can effectively keep the competition out or does it only record ur best effort on any 1 machine?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Only your best effort on each machine will count.

- - - Updated - - -

And here are the two newly announced AAC for this week, 1942 and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

This brings the officially announced games list to 17!

Two more games will be announced each week until all 23 competition games are revealed.

629839346_1942AAC.thumb.jpg.3f4aa4bc9178a79fdcfee26313fd7a8c.jpg

362746651_TMNTAAC.thumb.jpg.c912b1e8e7512b788e497409df4f77e8.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame theres no co-op comps as these games arent the same 1 player

Only your best effort on each machine will count.

- - - Updated - - -

And here are the two newly announced AAC for this week, 1942 and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

This brings the officially announced games list to 17!

Two more games will be announced each week until all 23 competition games are revealed.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149770

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149771

Shame theres no co-op comps as these games arent the same 1 player

That's actually a great idea @Swiddzy, and we've decided to run a 2-player team side comp during the AAC!

There are already several games in the AAC line-up that feature 2-player co-op play:

Blazing Star

Metal Slug 2

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

And a few more that have yet to be announced for the main comp.

Once details have been finalised there will be an official announcement on the facebook page and the bnepac website will be updated, but here are the basics so far:

- Entry in the 2-player comp will be open to all AAC ticket holders at no extra charge.

- 2-player teams will register on the Saturday of the AAC (Aug 17th)

- Players do not have to play in the 2-player comp and can choose to only play the 1-player main comp if they wish.

- Qualifying for the 2-player comp will take place concurrently with the qualifying for the main comp, 2-player score attempts DO NOT count towards your 30 credits allowed during the main comp qualifying, and therefore any scores achieved in 2-player attempts do not count towards your single player qualifying.

- No individual player may play in more than one team, once a team has registered for qualifying players may not change teams.

- Teams will be required to play all 6 or 7 co-op games in the side comp in order to qualify for the team finals. Teams will be allowed to have 2 attempts at each of the co-op games during qualifying.

- Team qualifying attempts end when one player has lost all of their lives, regardless of how many lives the remaining player has left. Team attempts are also limited to 15minutes. The scores from player 1 and player 2 are added together to give the team score for that attempt.

- Ranking and seeding for the Team event will follow the same format as the single player comp with the exception that all 6 or 7 games count towards each team's seed instead of only top 5.

- The top 4 seeded teams at the conclusion of qualifying will proceed to the team finals which will take place on the Saturday evening shortly after qualifying has ended.

- The Team finals bracket will proceed in the same manner as the single players bracket with teams facing off in best of 3 matches with the higher seed team picking the 1st and 3rd games and the lower seed team picking the 2nd game in the match.

- The Team Grand Final will also be a best of 3 match with the higher seed team picking the 1st game, the lower seed team picking the 2nd, and the 3rd game selected at random. Teams in the Grand Final may not select a game that they chose during the preliminary final.

I've probably missed a few details, but the above should answer most questions about the 2-player AAC comp. An official announcement with finalised rules will be published in the coming days.

Get keen, this comp is going to be awesome!!

-

The 2-Player Team Championship has been announced on the Facebook page.

The remaining 3 co-op games will be announced each day this week with the full details of the team side comp being released on Friday.

The remaining 3 single player only games will be announced the following week and will complete the official games list.

779564574_AACTeamTeaser.thumb.jpg.3725b530af95e4b4b62d46fa39ac0e9c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah a mate and i have registerd. We live in cq and saw a piece on the news about the ekka about showbags and made me wonder if a story about the AAC had been done. Bit late if not but i wouldn't have known about the comp if i hadn't of visited netherworlds in april. Hit the socials in as many local pages as you can might be an avenue

There are currently 28 players registered with a week to go until entries close, have you booked yours yet?

• Super Moderator

I’m all paid up for both events, some of the games were in my ‘never to be played again’ folder so at least one practice game on each before the day might be needed...

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

The website bpac.com.au is pretty up to date and has the rules. Check url tho think it may not be right, search brisbane pinball arcade collective

The Bnepac website isn't as up to date as it should be, but we'll get that sorted out as soon as possible.

ONE MAJOR OVERSIGHT that has only, just been brought to our attention is that the game time limit for Finals has been incorrectly listed as 30minutes when the correct time limit is 10mins. This change was made when the format was changed from 1 game to best of 3 games in the finals and has not be reflected in the ruleset posted on either the website or on this thread.

I apologise for any confusion caused by this.

Game settings are nearly all finalised and a list of all competition game settings will be posted later today.

The website only lists 17 of the 22 competition games, the full list is:

Space Invaders

Galaga

Donkey Kong

Pac-Man

Frogger

Dig Dug

Centipede

Mr. Do!

Wonderboy

Puzzle Bobble

Ghosts 'N Goblins

Metal Slug 2

Tron

Blazing Star

Moon Patrol

Final Fight

Mario Bros.

Raiden 2

Mortal Kombat

Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior

2-Player team games:

Blazing Star

Metal Slug 2

Final Fight

Mario Bros.

Raiden 2

10 mins isn't long with some games that will make for some pretty close scores i would have thought. How many games are played in the finals again?

The Bnepac website isn't as up to date as it should be, but we'll get that sorted out as soon as possible.

ONE MAJOR OVERSIGHT that has only, just been brought to our attention is that the game time limit for Finals has been incorrectly listed as 30minutes when the correct time limit is 10mins. This change was made when the format was changed from 1 game to best of 3 games in the finals and has not be reflected in the ruleset posted on either the website or on this thread.

I apologise for any confusion caused by this.

Game settings are nearly all finalised and a list of all competition game settings will be posted later today.

The website only lists 17 of the 22 competition games, the full list is:

Space Invaders

Galaga

Donkey Kong

Pac-Man

Frogger

Dig Dug

Centipede

Mr. Do!

Wonderboy

Puzzle Bobble

Ghosts 'N Goblins

Metal Slug 2

Tron

Blazing Star

Moon Patrol

Final Fight

Mario Bros.

Raiden 2

Mortal Kombat

Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior

2-Player team games:

Blazing Star

Metal Slug 2

Final Fight

Mario Bros.

Raiden 2

Here are the official game settings for all games in the AAC, it should go without saying that continues are not permitted on any games and that all scores are to be on a single credit.

Official AAC Game Settings:

Space Invaders:

Lives: 3

Bonus: 1500

Galaga:

Difficulty: Rank A

Bonus: 20k, 70k, and every 70k

Donkey Kong:

Bonus: 7000

Pac-man:

Lives: 5

Bonus: 10k

Frogger:

Bonus: 20k

Dig Dug:

Bonus: 10k, 40k, every 40k after

Difficulty: B – Medium

Special Rules: Use of the “Double-Kill” technique, where an enemy is killed by both pumping them up and dropping a rock on them simultaneously, resulting in a freeze of the game action is prohibited.

Centipede:

Bonus: Every 12k

Difficulty: Hard

Special Rules: Use of Spider Trapping Technique is prohibited.

Mr. Do!:

Extra: Easy To Win

Special: Easy To Win

Difficulty: 1 – Average

Wonderboy:

Bonus: 30k, 100k, 170k, 240k

Difficulty: Normal

Special Rules: You may obtain extra lives by finding the hidden letters to spell the word “SEGA”

Puzzle Bobble:

Difficulty: 4

Special Rules: Continues are Not Allowed.

Ghosts ‘N Goblins:

Bonus: 20k, 80k only

Metal Slug 2:

Hero: 3

Play Time: 60

Special Rules: You may freely select any character. Continues are not allowed.

Tron:

Bonus: 10k

Difficulty: 5

Blazing Star:

Special Rules: You may select any ship. Continues are not allowed.

Moon Patrol:

Bonus: 10k Only

1942:

Bonus: 20k, 80k, every 80k after

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:

Lives: 2

Difficulty: Medium

Special Rules: You may freely select any Turtle to play as. Point Leeching against bosses is allowed.

Final Fight:

Lives: 2

Bonus: 100k

Special Rules: You may freely select any character.

Mario Bros:

Bonus: 20k

Difficulty: Medium

Raiden 2:

Bonus: 200k, 500k only

Mortal Kombat:

Difficulty: 1 – Very Easy

Street Fighter 2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator

Deep into the finals now. Play off for 3rd soon between Mike Coolican and Mark Bell happening shortly

Final will be Barra v Foot. Best of 5, pick 2 games each and the 5th if needed wii be random.

Streaming on the Netherworld channel if you want to watch the carnage

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Barra to good in the end, well done mate

At least the Galaga high score medal is staying on this side of this ditch!

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152104

Congratulations Derek and Andrew. That's 2nd and 1st right there. Well gamed!

I hope you enjoyed the Championship. There needs to be a repeat next year for you guys to go head to head again ... :057:

I just wanted to give my personal congratulations to @Barra for winning such a prestigious and awesome event. I missed all of the twitch and live feeds for the action unfortunately but no doubt the tournament was a real cracker with plenty of stories to be told.

What were your scores for Raiden II and 1942 incidentally? I got so jealous when I saw those two games were in the line-up. :) Lucky bastards! Ahh well, maybe next year!

Well! Its taken a while to digest this (plus I've been dog sick for the last week and a half!)

Overall I thought the tournament went really well considering it was in its first year. It ran very smoothly without any hiccups at all. I was told the stream was even better than the Kong Off

But with anything in its first year though I think some tweaks could be made. Most of which we've already discussed with Jon & Jimmy at the time

-There was a clear divide in the room between which era of games people wanted to play. I think more can be done to force people to go out of their comfort zone and play something they don't like. As an example, I was able to avoid putting a credit in 13 of the 24 games, mostly 90s stuff. I know some of the other guys only played the 90s stuff and liked to avoid the 80s. If we increase the # of qualifying games to say 10 with 5 from each era, I think this will be a more accurate representation of the best overall gamer. Qualifying was super quick so I don't think 10 mandatory games would be too hard to manage within the same timeframe.

-The way the format worked there was way too much emphasis on being a higher seed after qualifying. This made it next to impossible for someone to come from a lower seed. I know Kibbey had a good suggestion to stagger the picks in the finals so the top 8 get 1 each rather than 2 at a time. This would still put emphasis on being a higher seed but at least top 8 instead of top 2

-I wasn't a huge fan of the coin flip to decide ties (even though I benefited from it). We should put something in place next year to avoid this, as in this case it actually decided who made it through (if Marc had won the coin flip between us he would have chosen 2/3 games in the semis). I think if people are tied after qualifying ends they should do some sort of showdown. If they aren't still at the venue they're automatically given lower seed? Just spitballing but I definitely think its best to avoid any sort of coin flip scenario out of the gamer's control.

-Also not a huge fan of the random game chosen to decide the final. In this case it didn't matter but I'd hate for someone to get to the final without a loss and get screwed by the random draw. I know its exciting for the fans but the players know its pretty much decided before anyone chucks a credit in.

Not trying to be super negative! The tournament as a whole was a massive success and those involved should be super proud. As a player I thought the organisation was really on point. Everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing and when.

Already excited for next year!!

Also congrats to everyone for some awesome performances! @Foot for taking the silver medal, @John73 for topping the qualifying ranks and Mike Coolican for knocking him out!! :p Also special mention to Marc Bell who absolutely crushed the games that he played. He was definitely the king of the 90s there. And of course @Jimmy Nails and @Tanna94 for putting it all together. Amazing stuff lads

:)

• Super Moderator

Barra makes some good points, especially the number of games for qualifying and the selections of games for the finals. The top 4 seeds really have a massive advantage, but I suppose thats the reward for qualifying well, just like in the Masters the top 2 qualifiers not having to play until round 3 of the finals

Realistically the way to determine the best in qualifying would be to make everyone play every game. Time then becomes an issue.

The random 5th game in the final may as well be a coin toss, you could be the best player at 99% of the games but through random selection get absolutely shafted. Maybe this game could be one not in the comp but announced before the comp so it can be practiced.Dunno

Having the 3 Neo Geo games on the one cab made it really hard to get a go at the games in qualifying, especially in the last couple of hours

John getting knocked out early stuffed my strategy for the game picks. So when I played Mike I knew our 3rd game would be tough as he was good at all the games I thought I had a shot at winning and I’d used the games I would have kept for him. So based on this I thought the way you had to plan your games/ opponents worked well.

I thought the comp was well run and played in the spirit that it should be. All involved should be proud of how it turned out.

• Administrators

I didn't complete as on paper I didn't like the format. Didn't comment as I think ANY comp is a great thing for the hobby and I didn't want to appear negative. In saying that, the way it was run and the fun people had if its on again next year I'll probably give it a go.

Brad