Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Apple ][ appreciation thread

darkjedi

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is this??

it is the original LCD display for the Apple //c. There is no backlight so it is actually very difficult to read which I why I mentioned it is not very practical!

480px-Apple_IIc_with_LCD_display.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

PSA: Those x2 caps in the Astec PSUs go in spectacular fashion.

Also not fun when it’s a few hours into a retrogaming event in a museum and someone comes over and goes “uh, that computer just went pop and smoke came out”...

IMG_4505.thumb.jpg.597f36514614d995670835a0610ef860.jpgIMG_4503.thumb.JPG.7381ce37c43985296b9e41dc33641a0f.JPG

PSA: Those x2 caps in the Astec PSUs go in spectacular fashion.

Also not fun when it’s a few hours into a retrogaming event in a museum and someone comes over and goes “uh, that computer just went pop and smoke came out”...

As quoted from the movie "The sixth element"....BIG BARTA BOOM! :lol

Hoping this is OK to post here but I faintly recall a game/program we used to use back in primary school on the old IIe (I think) circa 1987, I think it was called "The Factory" or had the word Factory in it. It was a kind of like a puzzle/test in that it showed you a shape and you had to use different machines to replicate the shape/patterns. (rotate, punch out holes, cut to size etc)

Anyone know what it was actually called or where I might be able to find a copy of it (as an emulation?) TIA

• Administrators
Hoping this is OK to post here but I faintly recall a game/program we used to use back in primary school on the old IIe (I think) circa 1987, I think it was called "The Factory" or had the word Factory in it. It was a kind of like a puzzle/test in that it showed you a shape and you had to use different machines to replicate the shape/patterns. (rotate, punch out holes, cut to size etc)

Anyone know what it was actually called or where I might be able to find a copy of it (as an emulation?) TIA

Can't help you there however anybody remember a Robot game where you built robots in a factory?

After a bunch more Googling I found a Reddit thread and burried in it was a link to this youtube video review of the game! FYI for anyone else interested :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

More like tedious as hell. I remember doing this on a mates Vic 20. Typing in code for 2 hours, saving then loading, waiting only to get a syntax error :lol. Re=read code to try and fins errors...are the days before being able to compile and check BEFORE attempting to load a programs.

Did this on the C64 too but we found it more fun to make our own stuff up especially in Game Maker etc

brad

• Administrators
More like tedious as hell. I remember doing this on a mates Vic 20. Typing in code for 2 hours, saving then loading, waiting only to get a syntax error :lol. Re=read code to try and fins errors...are the days before being able to compile and check BEFORE attempting to load a programs.

Did this on the C64 too but we found it more fun to make our own stuff up especially in Game Maker etc

brad

You jinxed me :b

I set a goal to type a page out a day and went to save it and got I/O Error :realmad:

• 2 weeks later...

This popped up on the Apple II Enthusiasts group on Facebook a couple of weeks back: the BOOTI - a new HDD/disk image card for the Apple II. Made by a guy in Victoria, it plugs into your Apple II (just the C, E & GS I believe) and will happily fire up most .hdv or .2mg files you throw at it. Apparently they're planning to extend that to include .do and other disk images, although apparently it supports some .dsk and .po stuff now.

Pretty easy usage too. Drop it into Slot 7, then plug a USB key with image files on it into the card. Boot it up and press C to enter the slot assigning configuration - from here it's similar to using flashfloppy or the cortex Amiga disk emulator. Reboot once you're done and it'll either auto-boot whatever image you put in slot 1, or press a number to manually fire that image up instead. Any firmware updates are done via the USB stick too, simply copy the updated file onto the stick, load it into a slot and boot it. Run the update tool once the disk loads and you're done!

For $74 posted it's also really affordable compared to wDrive, FloppyEmu, CFFA or Turbo Micro/Drive. If you want one, hit up the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5251478676/permalink/10158903126333677/

EExiimTUYAAr4Dx.thumb.jpg.3e6e0bea6048f62c7dfeb26ed6a68cc3.jpgEExiimTUwAAnYzV.thumb.jpg.c0838a5151d82b431d6bfb397c556a19.jpg

This popped up on the Apple II Enthusiasts group on Facebook a couple of weeks back: the BOOTI - a new HDD/disk image card for the Apple II. Made by a guy in Victoria, it plugs into your Apple II (just the C, E & GS I believe) and will happily fire up most .hdv or .2mg files you throw at it. Apparently they're planning to extend that to include .do and other disk images, although apparently it supports some .dsk and .po stuff now.

Pretty easy usage too. Drop it into Slot 7, then plug a USB key with image files on it into the card. Boot it up and press C to enter the slot assigning configuration - from here it's similar to using flashfloppy or the cortex Amiga disk emulator. Reboot once you're done and it'll either auto-boot whatever image you put in slot 1, or press a number to manually fire that image up instead. Any firmware updates are done via the USB stick too, simply copy the updated file onto the stick, load it into a slot and boot it. Run the update tool once the disk loads and you're done!

For $74 posted it's also really affordable compared to wDrive, FloppyEmu, CFFA or Turbo Micro/Drive. If you want one, hit up the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5251478676/permalink/10158903126333677/

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153732https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153733

Cause of you I ended up buying one myself :)

Can you leave the floppy controller in there or do you need to remove that?

Cause of you I ended up buying one myself :)

Can you leave the floppy controller in there or do you need to remove that?

You're welcome.

Put the BOOTI into Slot 7, then drop your FDC into Slot 6. If you need to boot off the floppy, press N when the Apple //e logo pops and it'll switch devices. Otherwise the FDC will take priority over the BOOTI and you won't be able to load anything!

• Administrators

IMG_20190926_060545.thumb.jpg.bca62f669bd08f2a1b2e4c3ffdf342d7.jpg IMG_20190927_155406.thumb.jpg.49c5306175986371800159acf4d43575.jpg

New additions to pimp my IIe Platinum from ReActiveMicro.

I was originally going to get just the No Slot Clock but seeing as postage is a killer from the USA I bit the bullet and got the UltraWarp and Phasor both in kit form.

Took about an hour and a half to assemble each....lets hope they work :D

Anybody hoarding SSI-263 speech chips?

Edited by Arcade King

• Administrators

I've tested the UltraWarp over the weekend, took me a few hours to work out the issues between it and the Microdrive Turbo.

It kept crashing on the No Slot Clock but turns out it was a ZipChip system driver that's included on prodos hard drive image for the MicroDrive. Deleted it now everything is fine.

I's a great piece of kit however you really need a way to dial down the clock for every day use. Apparently the dev is working on that for an add on so until then I wont be using it.

The No Slot Clock works well. For the NTSC International motherboard I had to cut off the left battery tab and solder a jumper to make it fit.