Thread: Apple ][ appreciation thread

State
    Point Cook
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkjedi View Post
    This popped up on the Apple II Enthusiasts group on Facebook a couple of weeks back: the BOOTI - a new HDD/disk image card for the Apple II. Made by a guy in Victoria, it plugs into your Apple II (just the C, E & GS I believe) and will happily fire up most .hdv or .2mg files you throw at it. Apparently they're planning to extend that to include .do and other disk images, although apparently it supports some .dsk and .po stuff now.

Pretty easy usage too. Drop it into Slot 7, then plug a USB key with image files on it into the card. Boot it up and press C to enter the slot assigning configuration - from here it's similar to using flashfloppy or the cortex Amiga disk emulator. Reboot once you're done and it'll either auto-boot whatever image you put in slot 1, or press a number to manually fire that image up instead. Any firmware updates are done via the USB stick too, simply copy the updated file onto the stick, load it into a slot and boot it. Run the update tool once the disk loads and you're done!

For $74 posted it's also really affordable compared to wDrive, FloppyEmu, CFFA or Turbo Micro/Drive. If you want one, hit up the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5251...8903126333677/

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=153732https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=153733
    Cause of you I ended up buying one myself
    Can you leave the floppy controller in there or do you need to remove that?

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mamejay View Post
    Cause of you I ended up buying one myself
    Can you leave the floppy controller in there or do you need to remove that?
    You're welcome.

Put the BOOTI into Slot 7, then drop your FDC into Slot 6. If you need to boot off the floppy, press N when the Apple //e logo pops and it'll switch devices. Otherwise the FDC will take priority over the BOOTI and you won't be able to load anything!

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2030 Post(s)
    IMG_20190926_060545.jpg IMG_20190927_155406.jpg

New additions to pimp my IIe Platinum from ReActiveMicro.
    I was originally going to get just the No Slot Clock but seeing as postage is a killer from the USA I bit the bullet and got the UltraWarp and Phasor both in kit form.
    Took about an hour and a half to assemble each....lets hope they work

Anybody hoarding SSI-263 speech chips?
    Last edited by Arcade King; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:26 PM.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)

And survey says?

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2030 Post(s)
    I've tested the UltraWarp over the weekend, took me a few hours to work out the issues between it and the Microdrive Turbo.
    It kept crashing on the No Slot Clock but turns out it was a ZipChip system driver that's included on prodos hard drive image for the MicroDrive. Deleted it now everything is fine.

I's a great piece of kit however you really need a way to dial down the clock for every day use. Apparently the dev is working on that for an add on so until then I wont be using it.
    The No Slot Clock works well. For the NTSC International motherboard I had to cut off the left battery tab and solder a jumper to make it fit.

State
    Point Cook
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    I just bit the bullet and grabbed a Apple II VGA scaler from a2heaven. Finally they have some in stock today. Better be worth it. No more monitor issues and colour in everything.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade King View Post
    I've tested the UltraWarp over the weekend, took me a few hours to work out the issues between it and the Microdrive Turbo.
    It kept crashing on the No Slot Clock but turns out it was a ZipChip system driver that's included on prodos hard drive image for the MicroDrive. Deleted it now everything is fine.

I's a great piece of kit however you really need a way to dial down the clock for every day use. Apparently the dev is working on that for an add on so until then I wont be using it.
    The No Slot Clock works well. For the NTSC International motherboard I had to cut off the left battery tab and solder a jumper to make it fit.
    What practical applications are there for accelerators on the A2?

Also, how's the sound card? Debating nabbing one for one of my systems, just not sure which one yet.

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2030 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjedi View Post
    What practical applications are there for accelerators on the A2?

Also, how's the sound card? Debating nabbing one for one of my systems, just not sure which one yet.
    Number crunching mainly. I wanted it to speed up Basic programs, do some compiling and pimp the old girl.

I already have a Mockingboard on my IIe and lets face it there's not a lot of games that use it however its still a cool addition and the Phazor kit was cheap enough so I grabbed it, in fact it was cheaper than the Mockingboard. What can be better than 1 Mockingboard?...2!
    Looking forward to using it when Nox Archaist gets released.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information