Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bally Harlem Globetrotters sound issue

San Carlo

Question

Hi Guys

I have had a sound issue wih my 1979 Harlem Globetrotters machine for quite awhile which I would liked to remedy.

I have sound but some of the sounds are distorted. For example... upon start up... with the 7 or so notes of the Sweet Georgia Brown tune... 4 notes may be true too pitch but the others are distorted.

I can adjust the sound volume... so no issue there.

I have tried disconnecting the connections to the sound board and reconnecting a while ago but that didn't make a difference.

I don't have any real electronics knowledge and skill so replacing actual resisitors or capacitators etc. is out of my league. I'm much better with repairing EM's.

QUESTION IS... if I can buy a a tested and working AS-2518-50 sound board from the States.... is it worth taking a punt in the hope that this fixes the problem ?? Or are there too many other possible sources of the problem to take this chance.

Or would it be better to just have the existing sound board looked at by someone? If so... any that can be recommended on the west sid eof Melbourne.

Cheers

7 answers to this question

if you can use a soldering iron you should be able to replace capacitors.

there are about 7 electrolytic capacitors that should be changed.

at a guess these changed will fix your sound issue/s but not guaranteed.

there are capacitor kits sold for the sound board.

you can buy a new sound board from https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

That’s good to know I was always under the assumption that nobody made new replacement sound boards that’s what I’ve been told anyway, so I’ve always sent mine away to be repaired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it wont. think about the fact its not all of the sounds doing it ..

if your going to quote me then put all what I said, you left out the "but not guaranteed".

are you saying it's not advisable to change electrolytic capacitors the are 30 plus years old in a pinball?

the caps are 40 years old and it's unlikely the dielectric is any good in any of them.

so what is your minimum charge to fix @San Carlo's sound board?