Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Statistics

nich2pat

Does anybody else keep statistics of their pinball playing?

I started doing this a few months ago for the sited ACDC premium pin that is at my work (University of Newcastle)

After 100 games with my basic spreadsheet I sent it off to one of the academics who works in the Mathematics and Applied Statistics section of the University who I have been helping out with her course content. I knew there was some cool stuff that could be applied to the data and I got an email back saying this:

"I've had a look at your pinball data. You must have mad skillz haha. Pivot tables are for any kind of data summary especially across multiple variables and they make it easy to apply filters etc. as well. So your main sheet where you've got average score and the % of games that you got the different multiballs these can all be done in pivot tables too.

In the red tab I had a look at comparing the average score for games where you did or did not get each of the types of multiball. Seems like scores are about 100 million higher on average whenever you get at least one multiball. I'm sure this isn't news to you though!

If you click in the pivot table it should come up with the Fields option window to the right and you can see the choices I made for the 'values' and 'columns'.

in the blue tab I had a look at whether game order on the day was related to winning Awards. The overall award rate was 10% (I had to create a new variable in the base dataset that simply flags whether or not there was a comment in your original Award column.) Looks like most of the time you play 3 or 4 games on the day, and for some reason the really big outlier scores tended to happen more often on game #1 or game #3 .

The scatterplots on that page show the scores over time with the red markers showing games associated with Awards. It looks like the blue markers (normal games) have a steady amount of variance but then there are these outlier games where you get massive scores and Awards. And it does seem as though these outlier games have become more likely over time since the start of the dataset.

In the tab for Daily average score you can see the pattern as well.

And lastly I had a look at whether you were getting the multiballs more frequently over time. Extra ball seems to be the rarest and worth the most points and the proportion of games per month that you're getting the extra ball has increased over the three months. There's a bit more daily variation though. But you can look at this type of thing for the other types of multiballs too.

If you keep recording the data it should be easier to see if any patterns are emerging."

This was the original file I sent. Columns for Score, The 3 different multiballs, extra balls, cost, encore (dreaming I know) and any high score awards/song champion etc

1065984526_ScreenShot2018-09-11at3_48_03pm.thumb.png.55eae0e233cb17902585a91f9d14952c.png

This one is the updated version

1186080108_UpdatedSpreadsheet.thumb.png.b521f96a0f2b14114389e4721e130c81.png

Extra Ball Frequency Over Time

1791007604_ExtraBallFrequencyOverTime.thumb.jpg.3caa9feb7051ccc41fb091ac95cba17c.jpg

Daily Average Score

1865762530_DailyAverageScore.thumb.png.a74a8c9998a5e1b341c7453205267f69.png

Characteristics of a Winning Game

1033015527_CharacteristicsofaWinningGame.thumb.png.1b36dae21e1527d78b1c206755ca6da7.png

Average Score by Multiball

525566408_AverageScorebyMultiball.png.7ac0aba879bc9397d75230ca2f28b0b5.png

Basically it seems like a lot of jargon to me and probably a lot of you too :)

Was thinking of putting some other values in like "Number of Songs Played" and "Game Time"

What other data would be helpful in tracking progress?

PINBALL STATS ACDC_nw.xls.zip

Edited by nich2pat

Haha *mind blown*.

I try to keep track of which ball I'm on. Sometimes, I even remember I'm on two warnings ;)

- - - Updated - - -

On a serious note Pat, I find what I try to remember is how I drained, every ball. Try write that down, the last shot you took and what drained you from which flipper.

You'll soon find a pattern between days where you can't seem to get a good score and the usual suspects. Especially on a Ritchie design.

I do through Matchplay. Actually, I do it for every single one of you :-)

The more you participate in tournaments where scores are recorded (mostly from qualifying) , the more data you'll get.

It's a work in progress (notably, I want to add a "compare against another player" feature) but there you go:

https://encapsulated.com.au/pinscores/

Also the crawler is only run manually for now, and I need to give it the matchplay ID of the player I want to crawl (it will also crawl the results of all the players that went to the same competitions, but not all their own competitions).

This probably needs to be addressed but I'm concerned by the crawling times...

Nice @capsule!

Although I note I seem to have some Transformers and Transporter scores mixed together....

And Antar (avatar) scores.

An issue with Crawling no?

haven't they just pit together an API for games over in the states? To allow standardisation across events and platforms? Think it is being added to Matchplay.

Back when pinball was facing a ban in states of the US as it was alleged to be a game of chance, it was proven (by Roger Sharpe) to be a game of skill - and that was EM days. Certainly worthy of scientific study but I play for enjoyment.

I also play for enjoyment, but I also like to see statistics

I'm not usually that much excited by statistics, but in the first year I played Wildball I did this poster of "statistics" for the season.

[ATTACH]135501[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135502[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! @capsule

Your even recording down what people are eating?

Getting a bit personal there.