Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Should I put mylar on a restored playfield

Had my Theatre of Magic playfield restored and clear coated by @SteelBalls (thanks) and was wondering if I should put down mylar where it was pre resto.

The mylar was around the pop bumper area, a couple of half moons near the slings area and some small dots where the ball drops were. I reproduced the pop bumper mylar and have the others from stock.

Personally I'm not too concerned about installing the sling mylar but unsure about the other types (mainly the pops one). I'd be surprised if this title saw another 2000 games on it any time soon.

What do you guys reckon if it was your game?

not for home use

there is a trend out there of people putting full playfield protectors on their new and restored games.. they decrease the games value to me. They are a ****ing pain in the arse down the track, and keeping a game clean and wearless in huo environment aint hard!

cliffy's and ball drops should be all you need

Is there a secret to getting those small circles off when there is damage underneath them and it looks like it will bring paint with of with them ?

You can try shellite or white spirits by lifting the mylar a little and then get the product to penetrate the glue. Slowly let it soften the glue and peel.

What I do if applying mylar to any area, I was the areas first, then apply, hoping that removal will be easier in the future .

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys looks like ball drops only. I just didn't want to install mylar after I have repopulated the playfield. The pop bumper mylar would involve removing lots of stuff including ramps. A big job.

not for home use

there is a trend out there of people putting full playfield protectors on their new and restored games.. they decrease the games value to me. They are a ****ing pain in the arse down the track, and keeping a game clean and wearless in huo environment aint hard!

cliffy's and ball drops should be all you need

IMO - I'd agree with Bwodie and in addition I'd like to say add a small protector of mylar to where the ball (regardless of game) is slammed/ejected/dropped onto the PF.

My examples would be;

GnR where it's ejected from the (mosh pit??) and slams onto the PF. Most GnR's have a telltale track

Roadshow out of the city mode ejection. Usually the fish and maybe the cop car get pounded. Also where the ball returns come down through habitrails and dump on the return lane.

CFTBL ball return lanes where the ball is again dumped on to the PF.

In general anywhere there is a short - high impact strike as opposed to a GOOD, undamaged rolling ball.

Hope that helps.

A smart fella I know recommended screen protector plastic instead of mylar...works a treat on critical wear areas. I do put a rectangle under the the steel ramp flap edges as well on my restores.

yep I gotta stop using phones they are really starting to shit me. I don't understanding what I'm texting on those things half the time and I keep forgetting to read them before pressing send. Thanks mate

Yup. I don't normally point out typos (unless it's funny), but I was going to say "To help with later removal I wax before I put mylar down" and thought that's what you were saying too.