Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Vector squiggles on Asteroids Deluxe

SpudJones

Question

Hi guys,

I just fixed an issue with my Asteroids Deluxe board not booting (bad LS157 at J2 had a floating line causing issues with Vector ram decoding). Anyway, after I got it booting, I found an issue with squiggly vectors as shown.

image.jpg

Any ideas? I tried replacing the TL081 and TL082 op amps in the output circuitry, but there was no change.

Paging @dezbaz @Johns-Arcade

Have you guys seen this before?

6 answers to this question

I see where I've gone wrong. Clearly my monitor isn't circular enough ;)

Seriously though, I know it's a PCB issue because if I put a plain Asteroids PCB in the same cab, then the display is fine. I'll pick up some 4016s during the week and change those on the board. Hopefully I haven't got a damaged DAC. I suspect what happened is that when the vector ram circuitry failed, something in the vector output circuits got driven beyond what it should have been.

p.s. interesting video about vector theory!

Edited by SpudJones

I see where I've gone wrong. Clearly my monitor isn't circular enough ;)

Seriously though, I know it's a PCB issue because if I put a plain Asteroids PCB in the same cab, then the display is fine. I'll pick up some 4016s during the week and change those on the board. Hopefully I haven't got a damaged DAC. I suspect what happened is that when the vector ram circuitry failed, something in the vector output circuits got driven beyond what it should have been.

Replace and socket all the IC's in the vector output section Mark, makes it a lot easier in the future. Looking at the image it doesn't look like a DAC issue to me.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Replace and socket all the IC's in the vector output section

As expected, it ended up being one of the CMOS 4016 ICs in the vector output section. (and all socketed now!)

Working nicely again!

Hopefully it will cool down enough that I can play a few games in my garage with a couple of cold beers! :)