Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Galaga Midway 1981 - fried board parts?

starmark

Question

Hi all. I have never been on a forum but need some guidance.

Wife bought me a Galaga Midway 1981 with a Jama multi game board fitted 8 years ago. Has been working fine up until the day before Xmas 2018, ie, only 20 days ago! Made a few weird noises, then screen went blank.

I removed back of the machine and had a look. Main fuse near power switch was OK. Fuses near what looked like the main power supply also OK. Switched power back on, and noted on what I think is the Jama board it had lights on it and seemed OK, but still no image on screen, no hum from CRT tube, no noise, etc. Had a good look around with a torch and noticed a fuse blown on what looks like the original galaga game board. Went and bought a replacement fuse from Jaycar, fitted the fuse and switched the machine on. Then watched in horror as on the old board sparks started coming from something near the top and a bad electrical burning smell went with it. The fuse I had replaced also blew. All this happened in a couple of seconds before I could switch off the power.

I have attached some photos on which I have made some red circles.

The red circled part at the top was the one that appeared to have sparks coming from it. The other part we noticed that was burnt is also circled red. The fuse that blew is also circled red.

I have no skill in this area, and also no time.

Questions

Is there a suitable trustworthy repairer I can call that does home visits? I live in Rozelle NSW.

If no repairer who I can call to home, can I remove the faulty board and take it somewhere to get fixed?

Can anyone tell me what the parts which I have circled on one of the photos are and what they do?

Many thanks to anyone who has the time and knowledge to help.

Best regards

Galaga Midway 1981.jpgGalagaMidway1981 - back full.jpgGalagaMidway1981 - back insides.jpgGalagaMidway1981 -  Old game board from right - full_LI.jpgGalagaMidway1981 -  Old game board from right_LI.jpgGalagaMidway1981 -  Old game board from left.jpgGalagaMidway1981 - power supply.jpgGalagaMidway1981 - Jama board.jpg

4 answers to this question

Can only assume from your description, but Sounds like the monitor chassis (circuit board for CRT) has failed,

Couldnt see an original galaga board in there. The photos show to be the monitors chassis board. Looks like maybe the flyback freaked out from what you have circled.

In any case, not something you want to mess around too much with. Best option would be to discharge the monitor (plenty of youtube videos on this, but if not confident, see if someone local would be willing to help) and remove the chassis board from cabinet and post it to @Jomac in Perth to recondition like new again http://www.jomac.net.au . The tube does not need to be removed from the cabinet, just that pcb.

Best to chat with him first to see if he can assist and work on that model chassis, hes the best in the business for CRT repairs :)

Edit: One thing I thought id ask - when you didnt see anything, you mentioned you couldnt hear audio either? Do you usually hear audio when the game is in Demo mode, or do you need to coin up and choose a game from the multi board before you hear audio? Trying to ascertain if you have more than one issue. I wouldve suggested getting a multimeter to see if the game board is still getting 12v/5v etc, but considering there are sparks i probably wouldnt power on the machine until the monitor chassis is fixed and reinstalled and work from there..

Wow, you gave terrific info and guidance. So appreciated. I don't think there is any sound when in demo mode, only when a game is selected. The machine has been setup by previous owner not to need coins, just starts and waits for a game selection. Expect I'll follow your advice in full. Many, many thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

You are spot on that I have never done this work before. Thanks for the tip.

Hi I have a nanao dual 8 crt colour monitor on my arcade machine and when I turned it on the other day..it was blank..but i could still hear the sound from the machine..There was no glow at the bottom of the crt and was making no sounds from there...It hasnt been played much in the last few months..would my screen be buggered or could it be fixed..Any help would be great, thanks...Im limited in my knowledge of electronics...