Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AA Top 100 pinball list doable or not ?

State
    Newy
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    464 Post(s)

I think Funhouse is better than T2.. so there you go

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1249 Post(s)
    Australia
    What is wrong with the Pinside database? it's not just American it's worldwide and a much larger sample base than here, it will never be perfect but it's pretty good, as with any review system it's only as good as the info submitted. I spend more time at AA than Pinside, but I really don't think AA can compete with their database. If I'm considering a new pin I go straight to the Pinside reviews and look here for sales

I agree with Pie Chucker's comments also.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    Australia
    The ratings (voting) system used by other lists does not necesarily need to be copied here either. There are much simpler alternatives that would mean a higher level of input from members, just by making it Easier to lodge your vote (no score for every aspect, just list personal fave game(s) of the era, done). Basically every AA member could make their contribution to the six "top 10 of the decade" lists in under 10 mins, even if their lists are not completely filled with data.... (eg. can only come up with "top 4" for '66-'75 , no problem!, the 4 entries for that member profile still count). A member can also go to their "top 10" lists and ammend them as they discover new titles or tastes.

There are plenty of possibilities from "outside the box"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    What is wrong with the Pinside database? it's not just American it's worldwide and a much larger sample base than here, it will never be perfect but it's pretty good, as with any review system it's only as good as the info submitted. I spend more time at AA than Pinside, but I really don't think AA can compete with their database. If I'm considering a new pin I go straight to the Pinside reviews and look here for sales

I agree with Pie Chucker's comments also.
    Would be good.... except there are folk like me whom do not go to "pinside"

I go to IPDB, but that seems to be sliding a bit perhaps. More people ignoring it and going to the dark-side

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1249 Post(s)
    Australia
    Yeah I use IPDB also, they are all great resources

Yes you could do something simple here and good luck if it happens.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1144 Post(s)
    Australia
    No system is perfect but I honestly think by the decade is a far better way to judge machines than a top 100 which others already do.

By the decade stops the list from being dominated by any group of machines like WPC or the latest Sterns and it also stops and makes people think back to what they actually liked and played and not necessarily what they own.

It often amazes me how people say best machine ever but that quickly changes when the next machine is released and they are now bored with there old favourite. Quite honestly if it is a great machine, it will remain a favourite I think that will stay that way for years.
    By the decade is going to be a far more "less of what I own and more of what I enjoyed to play", and therefore a more honest form of reviewing I think.

Sure, the start of the decade may be mainly EMs and the end of the decade may be SS but that doesn't mean you wouldn't include EMs in your top 10 for that decade if there were EMs in that decade that you really enjoyed playing.

You could break it down further by the half decade or even by the year but that will have many doing multiple searches on IPdb to see what machines were actually made in that year.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    Australia
    Yeah decades (groups of 10 years) don't have to start at 0. Last EM decade (66-75) , first SS decade (76-85), second SS decade (86-95), third SS decade (96-05), fourth (ressurection) SS decade (06-15), network/LCD decade (16-25) .... so on

That groups games together a little better ?

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
    Yeah decades (groups of 10 years) don't have to start at 0. Last EM decade (66-75) , first SS decade (76-85), second SS decade (86-95), third SS decade (96-05), fourth (ressurection) SS decade (06-15), network/LCD decade (16-25) .... so on

That groups games together a little better ?
    Agree.
    Pins in: Funhouse ~ Taxi ~ Johnny Mnemonic ~ Monster Bash LE ~ Whirlwind
    Pins out: Star Trek The Next Gen ~ White Water ~ Big Hurt

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)
    Australia
    How hard would it be to have a "section" in each members profile where there are fields for the top 5 or top 10 personal favourite titles of each of these decades? .

Can they be drop down boxes with a list of each game counted in that specific decade?

Can this data be processed and fed into a dynamic list on the forum? (for example, a game put by a member in position 1 gets 1 point, position 2 gets 0.9 point, position 3 gets 0.8 point, and so on) .

Could it automatically update based on the current member data in the fields? (showing all available choices for each decade in order of the number of "points" they have accumulated against them by all/any members)

Can it all be made into a basic low maintenance AA decade specific "favourites list" ? (once set up)

How much hassle does this sound like @Arcade King ?

State
    Redlands
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1791 Post(s)
    Australia
    Sounds like a good idea. I believe you can add custom variables into the profile pages however we'd need somebody with programming experience to make us a mod to compile the data into a separate page.
    I'll keep my eye out for a mod that will do the job.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    809 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcade King View Post
    Sounds like a good idea. I believe you can add custom variables into the profile pages however we'd need somebody with programming experience to make us a mod to compile the data into a separate page.
    I'll keep my eye out for a mod that will do the job.
    Which programming language?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Aussie Arcade mobile app
    Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information