Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

BOTA USA at Netherworld - 27th & 28th of April

Hey mates

We have very kindly been invited to participate in the USA Battle of the Arcades in 2019!!

It's a pretty eclectic list of games that I can admit I have hardly played any of them, but we are willing to commit to getting hardware and control panels as close as we can and the directors of the event are giving us plenty of leeway when it comes to using MAME or multi boards.

If anyone has original cabs or boards of the games listed below and would be willing to loan them for the weekend that would be amazing.

Dave is already busy building control panels and we will endeavour to get as many of these titles on the floor at Netherworld as quickly as we can so you guys can start practicing.

Rules and details below. Am not sure yet if we will have to play through the night to match the USA time difference but could be a fun couple of nights if we have to.

We are also still running the Australia & NZ BOTA this year also after the success of last year and may borrow quite heavily from the USA format. At this stage thinking mid June for AUS&NZ BOTA and I will send out invites to arcades early next week.

Would love to have a big team together for this so obviously players that spend more time at other venues or would like to come in from interstate to compete are encouraged to please come get involved.

Start practicing mates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dates: April 27th and 28th. Exact Start and End times TBC

2-Player Games:

Mario Bros.

Space Duel

Single-Player Games:

Black Widow

Congo Bongo

Crystal Castles

Elevator Action

Marble Madness

Mr. Do!

Pole Position

Punch-Out!!

Track & Field

Tron

Scoring Rules:

• Teams must have 10 or more players
  • No credit may exceed one hour of gameplay
  • A 2-player game (not exceeding one hour) ends the moment one of the two players loses their last life, and the score taken is the sum of both player's individual scores at that point -- in the case of Space Duel, the game in 'tethered' mode actually displays 'Combined Score' and also kills off both players simultaneously
  • Tournament scoring is by rank, not percentage-based; e.g. with four teams of 10 players, a first place score on a single-player game will earn 40pts.
  • The Overall Scoreboard will sum team totals from the Single-Player Scoreboard and the 2-Player Scoreboard
  • Team totals from the Single-Player Scoreboard will be summed from the top 10 qualified players from each team
  • Team totals from the 2-Player Scoreboard will be summed from the top 5 pairs from each team
  • Tournament points are worth quadruple for 2-player submissions; e.g. with four teams of 10 players, 5 pairs per team, a first place score on a 2-player game will earn 80pts. (4 x 20pts.)
  • To qualify for the Single-Player Scoreboard a player must submit scores for all 10 single-player games
  • To qualify for the Single-Player Scoreboard team totals a player must be ranked within the top 10 of their team, inclusively
  • Players are not required to submit for the 2-player games to qualify for the Single-Player Scoreboard
  • Players are not required to qualify for the Single-Player Scoreboard to submit for the 2-player games
  • A player may be partner in only one 2-player pair submission per 2-player game -- players are free to mix and match their partners and play with multiple partners per 2-player game, but previous scores will be overwritten if even one of the pair is duplicated in another submission for the same 2-player game
  • All scores must be submitted before tournament end, at precisely [time not yet determined]

Game Settings:

Black Widow

Lives: 3

Difficulty: Medium

Bonus Life: 20K

Must Start At Level 1

DIPS: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/A-J/Black%20Widow%20(TM-234%201st%20Printing)%20[Operator's%20&%20Parts]%20[English].pdf

Congo Bongo

Bonus Life: 10K

DIPS: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/A-J/Congo%20Bongo%20[Owner's]%20[English].pdf

Crystal Castles

Bonus Life: Yes (70K)

Warping Permitted

Soft DIPS: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/A-J/Crystal%20Castles%20(TM-241%202nd%20Printing)%20[Operator's%20&%20Parts]%20[English].pdf

Elevator Action

Difficulty: Very Easy

DIPS: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/A-J/Elevator%20Action%20(Upright)%20[English].pdf

Marble Madness

Time: 60 seconds

Difficulty: Normal

No Continues

Soft DIPS: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/K-R/Marble%20Madness%20(TM-276%201st%20Printing)%20[Operator's%20&%20Parts]%20[English].pdf

Mario Bros.

Difficulty: 2 (Medium)

Bonus Life: 20K

DIPS: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/K-R/Mario%20Bros.%20[Operation]%20[English].pdf

Mr. Do!

Difficulty: 1 (Average)

Extra: Easy

Special: Easy

255 Extra Lives Trick is Not Permitted

DIPS: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/K-R/Mr.%20Do!%20[Operation]%20[English].pdf

Pole Position

Time: 120 seconds

Practice Difficulty: C

Extended Lap Difficulty: G [75 - 51 - 57 - 61]

Laps: 4

Punch-Out!!

Time: 1

Difficulty: 1

Rematch: No

DIPS: Switch Bank 2 --> I = On, J = Off, K = On, L - P = Off. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/K-R/Punch-Out!!%20[Operation]%20[English].pdf

Space Duel

Lives: 4

Must Select 'Tethered' Play Mode

Track & Field

1 Event Loop. Game Ends After High Jump.

Tron

Difficulty: 5

Soft DIPS: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/S-Z/Tron%20[Parts%20&%20Operating]%20[English].pdf

This is awesome news Jimmy for NW to be invited to duke it out in the international arena!!

Great to hear Dave is already working hard on the control panels, quite a variety of them will be required for this list & i'm really looking forward to getting some hands-on practice once the control panels are functioning.

I'm going to begin my training on these games tomorrow. I seriously havent even played 70% of the games so its going to be a trial by fire the next few weeks. Also The 30% I have played I am very average at so will be interesting to see where my scores end up in 16 weeks time.

Can't beleive Congo Bongo is in the list - its one of the few games I have had a few credits on, but it hurts my brain & makes me cry :cry

• 4 weeks later...

I put about an hour or 2 into Track & Field over the weekend & found the different button combinations as well as the different ways each event utilised the 3 different buttons pretty interesitng. This is a game where everyone is going to have to learn how to be competent & reach qualifying speed/distance in as many events as they can.

I found a pretty useful video of (I believe the current) World Champ Hector Rodriguez doing a record run:

Picked up a few tips from watching his style & only made it up to the hammer throw & then high jump events. Hammer throw is really tricky to get the thing thrown straight & at the right height angle due to your little athlete guy spinning a million miles an hour by the time he's spun himself from the left to the right of the throwers circle. The 3 times I did mamnge to throw the hammer out into the field just felt like luck.

High jump I just couldnt get it, I can see how Hector is doing it but I can't make it work. Think I maybe need to adjust my timing of when I first hit the jump button, I might have been hitting it too early & not giving myself the right minimal amount of distance between the athlete & the high jump pole.

Anyone got any further hints for this game? Or is there a game hints & tips thread for this game (& possibly some of the others) already hiding somewhere in the forum here? I know there is one for Mr Do!, but might be an idea to have a centralised area that we can reference immediately as we have a practice session on any given game.

Maybe we could create a completely new thread where the 1st 12 posts are dedicated to a BOTA USA game, which could then be updated by someone when new hints & tips get found out?

Just under 12 weeks to go & 12 games to learn how to master.. or at least be competent at. Anyone else training already for the comp?

Lastly- Does anyone have working roms for Tron or Space Duel? trying to load mine last night in wolf186 MAME failed.

Bit of T&F info here:

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Track_%26_Field/Walkthrough

Bit of stuff that isn't in there that I know of:

* 100m sprint: If you can tie in 100m race with the other athlete, you get 1000 bonus points. Pretty difficult, but can be done.

* Long jump: Hit anywhere on the "foul" line in the long jump gives you a speed boost, so you want to try and do this without fouling. Aim for 45% on your jump, and keep button mashing while in the air.

* Javelin: Not sure on angle here, I think around 40 degrees? Keep button mashing while the javelin is in the air. If you have qualified already, you can throw the javelin at maximum degree, have it go off the top of the screen and bring down a bird/chicken for 1000 points

* 110 Hurdles - not special stuff here, not sure if you get 1000 bonus for getting the same time as the other athlete

* Hammer throw - don't look at the guy at all, just focus on the speed bar. Once you get the timing right after practice, this is the easiest event ever.

* High Jump - easy event also once you get the hang of it. If you are confident, foul your first two attempts and you'll get 1000 pt bonus if you then successfully achieve the required height to finish the event. Jump when as close to the bar as possible, AFAIK button mashing in the run up doesn't do anything but I could be wrong, but button mashing after you jump definitely helps.

I had a quick go at NW today - bombed out on the High Jump because I haven't played for a while.

If you are going to play this game several times, bring Gatorade and sweatbands - you really do work up a sweat playing this game. I assume the old electric knife on the buttons is not allowed for this game, nor is the 35mm film container on the fingers to rub over the buttons :)

Had one quick game of T&F last Sunday at NW - I did pretty badly. Haven't played in years, and haven't played using buttons to run in about 30 years. I wasn't ever that great it, but absolutely love the game.

Bombed out on high jump, which is pretty much the easiest event.... :(

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know when a "potential team" meeting is going to happen, and I'll come in and help where I can.

I'm probably blow average as a player on T&F and Elevator Action, but I have played them a fair bit.

I've played a LOT of Mario Bros. and am probably above par in Aussie standards, but still not great. I've played a few of the other games on the list, but I wouldn't class myself as any good on any of them :(

Had one quick game of T&F last Sunday at NW - I did pretty badly. Haven't played in years, and haven't played using buttons to run in about 30 years. I wasn't ever that great it, but absolutely love the game.

Bombed out on high jump, which is pretty much the easiest event.... :(

The Cleaner got 100K first go with his mop resting on his shoulder

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

• 1 month later...

Hey mates

Quick update below from USA BOTA crew. The Netherworld team has been crushing at our regular Sunday morning training. Still plenty of room for more players if anyone wants to get involved. Going to be an amazing weekend and we will have a slight advantage by finishing a few hours later then the other teams due to some compensation with the time difference. Can't wait!!

--------------------------

The final teams lineup and play hours are set...

The PNW team playing out of Sante's 36th Chamber in Seattle and team 2084 playing out of SoCal will play April 27th from 9AM to 9PM and April 28th from 10AM to 4PM.

Team GGA and Morristown Game Vault will play April 27th from 11AM to 11PM and April 28th from 12PM to 6PM.

And Netherworld will play April 28th from 8AM to 8PM and April 29th from 6AM to 12PM.

Please review the scoring rules and game settings I've previously sent and send me any questions as soon as possible.

Finally, teams are required to provide some measure of streaming, though how involved the streaming setup is entirely up to the site organizers. This can be something as simple as a room cam capturing the sights and sounds of the arcade or something as involved as direct-feeds with running commentary. Quality streams will help the contest and our hobby at large continue to grow, however I completely understand some locations will have limitations.

Currently I have Twitch addresses for...

GGA: http://twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade

and Netherworld: http://twitch.tv/netherworldarcade

but still need links from 36th Chamber, 2084 and Morristown. Please send those my way when you can.

Over the next five weeks until the contest begins we'll be rolling out announcements on the BotA Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/battleofthearcades/) profiling the games and the participating arcades. If there's anything in particular you'd like the Facebook page to say or not say about your arcade, email johnbart@gmail.com

Thanks folks. Should be an exciting, hard-fought tournament.