Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cutting MDF with a jigsaw

Hi all,

Was wondering if its possible to cut both side panels with the jigsaw by clamping two pieces of 18mm MDF together or will the cut end up being too crap? I realize the jigsaw blade has some flex in it so even single panel cuts results in a slightly wobbly feel when running my finger along regardless of cutting directly along the line. I was thinking two panels will probably make this wobble even more noticeable.

Or should I just mark one piece from the other?

Cheers

Derek.

Hi all,

Was wondering if its possible to cut both side panels with the jigsaw by clamping two pieces of 18mm MDF together or will the cut end up being too crap? I realize the jigsaw blade has some flex in it so even single panel cuts results in a slightly wobbly feel when running my finger along regardless of cutting directly along the line. I was thinking two panels will probably make this wobble even more noticeable.

Cheers

Derek.

Jigsaws don't like cutting thick pieces and you will end up with a badly tapered edge.

I would suggest cutting as many straight edges as possible with a circular saw, then rough cutting the remaining edges on one panel at a time and then finishing it off with a router

You can use the first panel as a template for the router for the second panel.

Hi all,

Cheers

Derek.

I find it best to cut one Piece and get it perfect, then Use a router to cut the second piece, using the first one as a template. Much better result

using this type of bit

bit.jpg.bf6df5c8a3a8863680d0323705373edd.jpg

Edit, Boots beat me to it lol

Edited by jason1

that mini-chainsaw looks good, might give that a go next time (running a tight budget on this one)

I have a flush cut router bit although the blade length is 20mm so would that be okay for 18mm MDF as it'd only be 1mm either side at best? or can it be done in two overlapping goes?

What it that? I think I need one!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

it's a nanoblade chainsaw. A brilliant device for DIY'ers that cuts neater, at variable speeds, and you can plunge cut with ease, no need to pre-drill like you need to with a jigsaw.

it really is the ducks guts, get one, you wont regret it :)

I find it best to cut one Piece and get it perfect, then Use a router to cut the second piece, using the first one as a template. Much better result

using this type of bit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]141193[/ATTACH]

Edit, Boots beat me to it lol

Yep, this is how I do it.

When using 8mm MDF I'll make a template first out of 16mm MDF (less effort sanding) then use that to make the first side panel, use it to trace the rough outline of the second panel, rough cut with a jigsaw/circular saw with about 5mm overlap then flush trim the second panel around the first panel.

I can quickly knock up another cab next time using the template.

The mini chainsaw is a brilliant idea, will have to look into getting one.

Edited by Kaizen