State
    Poodegrah Vic
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    897 Post(s)
    Australia

Using SSD for XXXX-in-1 systems

I'm new to the XXXX-in-1 system. I bought a 1066-in-1 family board over Xmas in a stand up cab and was told I can clone the ide drive to an SSD and use the SSD instead. Has anyone done this successfully and what are you using to connect your sata ssd to your ide port on your family board?

I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IDE-to-S...72.m2749.l2649

and managed to clone the ide drive to the ssd drive by using this adaptor to connect the ssd to ide2 and following the instructions on page 18 of the board manual. But when I take out the ide drive and replace it with this and the ssd, the computer starts up, I see the fuzzy Windows 2000 start up screen, but then the screen just goes fuzzy (a different fuzzy than normal fuzzy) and the system doesn't start up as normal.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Or am I using the wrong adaptor? Do I have to change anything in the bios, or ?

I'm a complete noob at this so far.

If this has been asked and answered, can you point me to the thread as I couldn't find anything doing a search.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    My mission (if I choose to accept it ) is to find every TZ on the planet and get them corrected if their caps are in the wrong order. Hardest part will be getting the flyer corrected

State
    Brookdale Perth W.A.
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Australia
    I use cf to ide adapter. as cf use ide standard.

State
    Poodegrah Vic
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    897 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by rtoago View Post
    I use cf to ide adapter. as cf use ide standard.
    So get one of these?

And one of these?

Or is there a certain model that only works with xxxx-in-1's?
    My mission (if I choose to accept it ) is to find every TZ on the planet and get them corrected if their caps are in the wrong order. Hardest part will be getting the flyer corrected

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1403 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post
    I'm new to the XXXX-in-1 system. I bought a 1066-in-1 family board over Xmas in a stand up cab and was told I can clone the ide drive to an SSD and use the SSD instead. Has anyone done this successfully and what are you using to connect your sata ssd to your ide port on your family board?

I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IDE-to-S...72.m2749.l2649

and managed to clone the ide drive to the ssd drive by using this adaptor to connect the ssd to ide2 and following the instructions on page 18 of the board manual. But when I take out the ide drive and replace it with this and the ssd, the computer starts up, I see the fuzzy Windows 2000 start up screen, but then the screen just goes fuzzy (a different fuzzy than normal fuzzy) and the system doesn't start up as normal.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Or am I using the wrong adaptor? Do I have to change anything in the bios, or ?

I'm a complete noob at this so far.

If this has been asked and answered, can you point me to the thread as I couldn't find anything doing a search.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    with your cloned image. can you load the newly cloned SSD into windows disk manager ? check to see there are 3 partitions on the SSD, 2x windows partition and one non-windows partition.

i have a sneaking suspicion if you are using the onboard program in the games family image to clone to SSD, it wont work. Your best bet would probably be remove the HDD from the gamebox, and connect it to your PC on an IDE port.

Then use a program like acronis self-image to clone the entire IDE to your SSD.

State
    Poodegrah Vic
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    897 Post(s)
    Australia

Thanks Jed,

I tried the onboard clone (which is an old version of Norton Ghost). It cloned successfully and showed the 3 partitions as you mentioned. I then also used this duplicator dock: https://www.mwave.com.au/product/sta...ck-hdd-ab86458 which did the same clone (3 partitions) as previous.

I've got a suspicion that it's the adaptor that I'm using. Will have to try a cf to ide adaptor. Just waiting to see if there's a certain model I need to use or if the one I found above will do the trick.

State
    limestone coast, SA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    What size SSD?
    If it is bigger than 137GB, it might be the windows 2000 LBA issue.

State
    Poodegrah Vic
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    897 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by crazyau View Post
    What size SSD?
    If it is bigger than 137GB, it might be the windows 2000 LBA issue.
    Yep I had 2 ssd's to try. First was 200gig and then I realised the adaptor said Max storage: 137GB. The 200 bluescreened (prolly cause of LBA).

My second try was with a 110 gig ssd. The 110 gig had the issue in post #1 .

I'd like to try @rtoago's option. Can someone confirm if post #3 is the correct CF adaptor to use? I may need a 64 gig card if the current IDE is 40gig. Have to check it.

State
    Poodegrah Vic
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    897 Post(s)
    Australia

Ahh I think I get it now. My hdd is only 10 gig so I'll buy a 16 gig CF and this adaptor: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/StarTech...72.m2749.l2649

State
    Poodegrah Vic
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    897 Post(s)
    Australia

I'm at wits' end.

My HDD is a 10gig IDE. Got my 16 gig card and CF2IDE adaptor. Put the card in the adaptor, followed the instructions on page 18 of family board manual. Turn on machine and press 2 player at start to start ghost...

Hmm. So I buy a 32 gig CF card...

I give up. I'm beaten. I'm over it. ... Actually I've got one more thing to try in the next few days... then I'll give up beaten.

State
    VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    United States
    Are you sure the spinning drive you're trying to replace is only 10GB capacity? It's more likely larger, with only 10GB used, meaning the partitions you're trying to clone are actually larger than 10GB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information