Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Using SSD for XXXX-in-1 systems

ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma

Question

I'm new to the XXXX-in-1 system. I bought a 1066-in-1 family board over Xmas in a stand up cab and was told I can clone the ide drive to an SSD and use the SSD instead. Has anyone done this successfully and what are you using to connect your sata ssd to your ide port on your family board?

I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IDE-to-SATA-Or-SATA-to-IDE-Dual-Direction-Converter-Adapter-Power-Cable-AC1195/202292733707?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

z7haUvr.jpg

and managed to clone the ide drive to the ssd drive by using this adaptor to connect the ssd to ide2 and following the instructions on page 18 of the board manual. But when I take out the ide drive and replace it with this and the ssd, the computer starts up, I see the fuzzy Windows 2000 start up screen, but then the screen just goes fuzzy (a different fuzzy than normal fuzzy) and the system doesn't start up as normal.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Or am I using the wrong adaptor? Do I have to change anything in the bios, or :unsure?

I'm a complete noob at this so far.

If this has been asked and answered, can you point me to the thread as I couldn't find anything doing a search.

Any help would be much appreciated.

25 answers to this question

I'm new to the XXXX-in-1 system. I bought a 1066-in-1 family board over Xmas in a stand up cab and was told I can clone the ide drive to an SSD and use the SSD instead. Has anyone done this successfully and what are you using to connect your sata ssd to your ide port on your family board?

I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IDE-to-SATA-Or-SATA-to-IDE-Dual-Direction-Converter-Adapter-Power-Cable-AC1195/202292733707?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

z7haUvr.jpg

and managed to clone the ide drive to the ssd drive by using this adaptor to connect the ssd to ide2 and following the instructions on page 18 of the board manual. But when I take out the ide drive and replace it with this and the ssd, the computer starts up, I see the fuzzy Windows 2000 start up screen, but then the screen just goes fuzzy (a different fuzzy than normal fuzzy) and the system doesn't start up as normal.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Or am I using the wrong adaptor? Do I have to change anything in the bios, or :unsure?

I'm a complete noob at this so far.

If this has been asked and answered, can you point me to the thread as I couldn't find anything doing a search.

Any help would be much appreciated.

with your cloned image. can you load the newly cloned SSD into windows disk manager ? check to see there are 3 partitions on the SSD, 2x windows partition and one non-windows partition.

i have a sneaking suspicion if you are using the onboard program in the games family image to clone to SSD, it wont work. Your best bet would probably be remove the HDD from the gamebox, and connect it to your PC on an IDE port.

Then use a program like acronis self-image to clone the entire IDE to your SSD.

Thanks Jed,

I tried the onboard clone (which is an old version of Norton Ghost). It cloned successfully and showed the 3 partitions as you mentioned. I then also used this duplicator dock: https://www.mwave.com.au/product/startech-usb-to-ide-sata-standalone-hard-drive-duplicator-dock-hdd-ab86458 which did the same clone (3 partitions) as previous.

I've got a suspicion that it's the adaptor that I'm using. Will have to try a cf to ide adaptor. Just waiting to see if there's a certain model I need to use or if the one I found above will do the trick.

What size SSD?

If it is bigger than 137GB, it might be the windows 2000 LBA issue.

Yep I had 2 ssd's to try. First was 200gig and then I realised the adaptor said Max storage: 137GB. The 200 bluescreened (prolly cause of LBA).

My second try was with a 110 gig ssd. The 110 gig had the issue in post #1 .

I'd like to try @rtoago's option. Can someone confirm if post #3 is the correct CF adaptor to use? I may need a 64 gig card if the current IDE is 40gig. Have to check it.

I'm at wits' end.

My HDD is a 10gig IDE. Got my 16 gig card and CF2IDE adaptor. Put the card in the adaptor, followed the instructions on page 18 of family board manual. Turn on machine and press 2 player at start to start ghost...

AK1ZK4Q.jpg?1

Hmm. So I buy a 32 gig CF card...

AK1ZK4Q.jpg?1

I give up. I'm beaten. I'm over it. :rolleyes... Actually I've got one more thing to try in the next few days... then I'll give up beaten.

Don't have my ide dock on me to check on my laptop atm, but the bios of the family board said it's 10 gig and the sticker on the drive says 10:

IMG_4163.thumb.JPG.bd90b370a5d43524083f3cee55b47efa.JPG

Hopefully I'll get access to my dock later today to triple check AND this dock clones so I'll try cloning it that way.

Sent from your mums iPhone using Aussie Arcade

^^^ yes. you're using a version of Norton Ghost that is 15 years old.

That's what's on the 1066-in-1 family board I have. I was able to clone 220and 110gig ssd's with that 15 year old version, but they wouldn't start up when I switched the drives over in the family board. Same issue when I cloned those same 220 and 110 with the dock so I don't think 15 year old ghost is the issue.

Tried cloning to a 16 gig and 32 CF card today but the dock spat out an error (didn't write down the error, something about 'destination drive overflow' if memory serves me right) and I don't have the dock with me (@hashman is borrowing it).

I'm suspecting it's the CF2IDE adaptor. I have another which I can try, but it's done my head in so I have to walk away from it for a while. And I broke the ide cable and **** me if I can find another in the 5 old computer cases I have lying around (but I can probably now start up a SATA cable ebay store :lol). When I get the dock back from hashman, I'll try it again as I'll have all drives/cables/dock in front of me in one place :D

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far. Much appreciated.

Bluddy Hell, this S'o'm'bitch is fighting me.

I had an online chat with Startech who is the manufacturer of the IDE2CF adaptor and the Cloning Dock. Told them when I try to clone the display says "Target Drive Target Overflow". Bloke was very helpful and got me to reset the dock back to default and it cloned no worries.

So replaced the IDE with the IDE2CF adaptor and cloned CF Card and turned on machine.

Started off normal, then ended up stuck at a pop up window. Couldn't see what it was and none of the buttons worked so I plugged in a vga monitor and it was this popup:

wYwMEKh.jpg?1

Anyone know how to read that?? I plugged in a mouse cause none of the buttons worked and got this popup:

eDRbbMM.jpg?1

If I press yes, the computer reboots and goes through all the above then comes back to this popup. If I press No I get this popup:

Buz2uee.jpg?1

Something about D:\temp\settting.reg. Do I need to change something in that file?? If I click whatever the button says, the game starts up:

HOI7QgB.jpg?1

Anyone know how to get rid of the popups or how can I press ok left/right without a keyboard/mouse. I just want it to start up like a normal 1066-in-1 and play it.

Ohhh!!! **** ME!!!! Now if I plug the CRT back in, I can navigate the popups, but when it gets to the game menu, It's a scrolling screen.

I thought maybe I did something to the video output so put the 3/4 player board in and changed the video setting until the screen looked right, but when you turn the machine off and back on, it's back to the scrolling video.

**** THIS!! It's doing my head in :lol. I'm having another break. **** this shit!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Goody! It's not me!!! I put the original 10gig IDE back in and it's all back to normal... Back to the drawing board... after my stress break.

I was about to embark on upgrading games family 2700 machine to 3700 but am now put off after reading ur thread and discussing with operator of arcade rewind who deals in games family machines. He advised the hardware and software are specially configured and tampering with would be difficult and you'd need to be quite tech savvy to pull off. That said I'll probably still try and install a different mame emulator and see if i can get it to work with the jamma board. Tho if u can't even put a cloned drive in i don't hold much hope

Sent from my SM-G960F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I was about to embark on upgrading games family 2700 machine to 3700 but am now put off after reading ur thread and discussing with operator of arcade rewind who deals in games family machines. He advised the hardware and software are specially configured and tampering with would be difficult and you'd need to be quite tech savvy to pull off. That said I'll probably still try and install a different mame emulator and see if i can get it to work with the jamma board. Tho if u can't even put a cloned drive in i don't hold much hope

Yep and to boot I've been told by many people that the time and money I've spent trying this, it would be cheaper just to buy another games family if this one broke so no need to clone hard drives anymore. That's why I haven't bothered trying this again.

Hi, I got the same errors up and took a photo with Google translate to work out what it said:

Limited virtual memory Your system has no page files, or the page file is too small.

1. Right click on the computer, click on "Properties", then click on the Advanced tab. Click on the Performance Options button and then click on Change. On the u drive [Volume Label], select the drive you want. To create a page file, please single, w initial size (MB) box, then enter the page file size. Or - To increase the page file size, click the Maximum (MB) box and enter a larger page file size. When everything is ready, click on "Settings" and then click OK.

And the setting.reg:

Registry Editor could not enter ditemldsetting.reg: An error occurred while opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.

Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my MI 8 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Such a shame a waste of good hardware having multiple machines not too mention the expense! There's a guy on YouTube who's hacked it but doesn't give clear instructions as to how

Yep and to boot I've been told by many people that the time and money I've spent trying this, it would be cheaper just to buy another games family if this one broke so no need to clone hard drives anymore. That's why I haven't bothered trying this again.

So.. somehow I got an xxxx-in-1 to boot from SSD.. once... And never again... I just had to take a few pictures to prove it, no idea what I had done differently to other people bit it ran.. and I played it for an hour before powering it down and trying again... Never worked again .. just a black screen or the win2k loading bar, it could be my machine though it has been pretty selective from the start but would come good of I reset it.. so it is possible, just need to work out how, unfortunately the image I was using is fairly degraded and during cloning it had multiple errors (that I ignored and continued to clone) I'm hoping to get a good image and trying again!! I'm using an unbranded single Chanel IDE to sata adapter I purchased years ago and only just opened..IMG_20190612_173241.thumb.jpeg.8ba46dba02a9417dc8560abd11d75d8b.jpegIMG_20190612_173247.thumb.jpeg.887f73b7029ce5013c915b93d49504f8.jpeg

Sent from my MI 8 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

l had succes in this with running the XXXX in 1 software on later duo core board and ssd also on win.xp theres is alot of tricks to this setup and theres a way to run the ssd - but needs to be config right and theres 3 ghost imgs that has to be done not just 1 as the software to run and restore is on all 3 partions