Thread: Please help me get started with MESS

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)

Please help me get started with MESS

I have been using mame for many years and now run Groovymame on my Astro cabs, but I find the set up quite complicated and therefore I only learn as much as I need to know to get it running and configured who I like it. I use the MaLa frontend and have a great theme for it.

So now I want to start playing some old fav console games but I have no idea how to get started with MESS, it's supposed to be rolled into mame now but there is no executable for it so how do I select it from MaLa?

I tried using Fusion364 tonight but it said I needed to update my drivers to Directx7 and I wasn't sure if that would stuff up my groovymame so I didn't do it.

I would rather be able to access all the emulators with MESS instead of using single console ones anyway.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1508 Post(s)
    Been a long time since I've screwed around with Mess or rather now the mess option ins mame core. Howver heres a previous post I responded to along with a link on how to set it up with Mala. Effectively once paths are setup just like for mame, you call the system then the rom.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthr...-Mala-and-Mess

https://www.retrorgb.com/malafe-otheremus.html

Cheers,

Brad

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Same .exe as mame/GM, you just need more options in the commandline to indicate system and media along with the rom itself, and the path to it. If you get really stuck and google is no help, msg me and i'll try to dig up some old commandlines from a previous build of mine.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)

Thanks guys, I will try to get started from your links and info and see how I go. I don't generally use command lines but hopefully Brads retro link will give me enough guidance.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Thread Information