State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    443 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    I think it's slightly different from what you're talking about.
    Yeah, thinking about it some more, it is quite different. I wrote a whole huge post that wasnít correct but turned out to be a good way to think through the concept. The descriptions of it in your links arenít very clear until you understand it already though. My take on it, and correct me if Iím wrong is that if we have three frames 0,1,2, running in a game with one frame of input delay and with frame 0 being drawn to the screen at current time and also being the frame during which an input is received, the original game would not show a reaction to input until frame 2. But run-ahead will load frame -1 from save-state, calculate a new frame 0 and save state but not show anything because the old frame 0 is on screen, then calculate a new frame 1 and show it. Obviously we can run further ahead for games with more than one frame of input lag, so 0,1,2,3 or more.

I guess thatís the only way the inputs could be going back in time, after the popular phrasing. Itís very clever. Otherwise it would be just-in-time emulation.

Cheers for making me think about this. Now if only RA had a useable frontendÖ

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buttersoft View Post
    My take on it, and correct me if I’m wrong is that if we have three frames 0,1,2, running in a game with one frame of input delay and with frame 0 being drawn to the screen at current time and also being the frame during which an input is received, the original game would not show a reaction to input until frame 2. But run-ahead will load frame -1 from save-state, calculate a new frame 0 and save state but not show anything because the old frame 0 is on screen, then calculate a new frame 1 and show it. Obviously we can run further ahead for games with more than one frame of input lag, so 0,1,2,3 or more.
    Yup, you got it. And you can see why it's so crazy resource intensive because of how it works. But with some older systems, it's actually achievable given how fast modern PCs are.

I think it's a great idea even if it's just a purely academic exercise. PCs are only getting faster, so why not do cool things with all that left over grunt when it comes to emulation tricks?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information