Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What direction should I go?

JustAnotherRat

Question

I picked up a couple of low boys on Gumtree, neither of them are working. The screens don't appear to do anything, one of them makes a crackling noise that when the volume pot is turned on the gameboard get louder and quieter. I was hoping that the sound would give me a hint as to what the game boards actually are but I'm not that lucky.

So... I need to work out the best method of getting these puppies going.

Do I get someone to look at the screens? One is missing the neck board. Is it even worth it? Should I just put LCD screens in it? If so, that means basically install a PC or Raspberry Pi for games and a j-pac doesn't it?

If anyone can tell me where a good place to read and learn I'd appreciate it. I've been reading threads etc. and I think it's best to go the LCD approach but would like opinions.

Thanks. [ATTACH]140960[/ATTACH]

22 answers to this question

They look cool nice pick up. I'd try to keep them authentic with crt if possible. Best get someone to come check them over and maybe get them going if their is anyone.

If you can check voltage on power supply would be a good basic first step. The crt stores a massive amount of voltage so use extreme caution with it. As for converting them try giving the arcade suppliers a call. Vadership, Austin Amusement, Diy arcades should be helpful and best places to buy what you need.

Also put more photos up here of the insides would help with advice from others. If all else fails sell one to me ; )

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If the tubes are intact, monitor chassis can be repaired. Lots of photos of the monitor chassis, labels on the tubes and also the tube necks would be a good start. If you take photos of the boards there's a 90% chance someone on here will be able to ID them.

Heaps of paths you can do down to get a MAME PC or multiboard running. Keeping the CRT is an option, putting in an LCD is another and both have their strengths and drawbacks.

If your selling them then just LCD, Pandoras box, some new joysticks and buttons, should not cost you any more than $150 a cab and some time, if you keep them, get the chassis fixed or new one, do the same pandoras box joysticks and buttons and have $300 + into em each, still worth the same amount once done, not as if they are special rare dedicated cabs.

Kortek monitor in the second one. Is the SFII missing the entire chassis? Or just the neckboard? Some Korteks can be ok, but a large amount of them were pretty average even when they were first built. If you paid to have the chassis repaired, it would cost around $90 plus post for each chassis. The unknown factor are the tubes, you have no idea if they work, or have a good picture.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and what you want the cabinets to be in the end. Going the CRT route will be more costly and difficult, but if you're a CRT man, it could be worth the extra effort. If you are just going to play them for a bit and then sell them, put LCDs and multiboards in.

Try the boards in a working JAMMA cab and see what they do. They both look like bootlegs, so if they aren't genuine, not really worth getting them repaired if they don't work. Then again, they only look like bootlegs of SFII and MK, they could have put anything in the cab and not changed the marquee, so who knows what you have :)

Really???

Yeah I was just joking about you wanting to kill gaming, but I do like to see CRTs saved where possible, if they are stuffed, badly scratched or bad screen burn then throw them away, but if they are good they should always be saved.

I often see people here saying just put an LCD in because it's easier, but if you get the chassis for a CRT refurbished it should last 10 years without needing to be touched, nothing difficult about that. I think people should only recommend LCD as a last resort.