Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

BALLY / STERN Solid State Custom Playfields

You using our little diode friends eh? Keep up the good work :)

Yes..praise be.

With this board configuration a tree of single lites that counts to seven

can be replaced by a lite which changes colour seven times.

IMG_20190303_191654996.thumb.jpg.9907d99524f03d9faabd7bf09fa3eb46.jpg

This counts to 5 ( W,G,B,P,R )

the scores 10k,15k,20k,25k,50k will be colour coded

on the artwork infront of the kickout hole.

try

This set up replaces these 5 Inserts on Paragon.

.....and yes i was bitten by a vampire last week

IMG_20190303_192748466.thumb.jpg.5eeaab13af254295aeeb747b1e252e9b.jpg

Edited by kress

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Playfield Plastic overlay is now done.

This can lift on and off with the removal of

The spinners and a few rubbers.

Some holes to be cut in the timber below - mount the

light boards ( tomorrow me thinks).

Right now it's playing Super Fast and quiet.

IMG_20190309_170454392.thumb.jpg.dc37f38f22ad5e26d497d0bbc7c99216.jpg

IMG_20190309_171352187.thumb.jpg.ec048629c648aae2fa104d265df1b315.jpg

Closer holes drilled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144214[/ATTACH]

So, you send the playfield out to a client like that, but when they want their money back you point to the sticker "Sorry, No Refunds " :lol looking forward to see the artwork for the playfield, keep up the good work.

Lights

few more to go.

In front of drop targets and the spinners.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144239[/ATTACH]

Looks pretty good. Is that design maxing out all the solenoid drives that the Paragon program used?. Looks like you have 3 slingshots but I may be wrong. I like that if that is the case though.

She should be a nice active machine.

The extra slingshot was the beasts liar Pop Bumper.

As for other solenoids

Drop Target reset is done on the auxiliary board.

2 x kickout hole solenoids deleted.

2 x target reset solenoids deleted.

The extra slingshot was the beasts liar Pop Bumper.

As for other solenoids

Drop Target reset is done on the auxiliary board.

2 x kickout hole solenoids deleted.

2 x target reset solenoids deleted.

Cool, 3 slingshots. Auxiliary board for Paragon aye. You can utilize the remaining unused solenoid drive circuits on the Bally Solenoid Driver Board by putting driver wires directly to the R-57 though to R-71 resistors where they come out of the U2 74L154 chip. It will bypass the U2 chip control of the drive circuit but if it isn't being used, I see it as a waste having them just sitting there doing nothing. I know this isn't something you would be interested in trying to keep everything Bally compatible but I thought you may be interested none the less.

This is the Tech Sheet for Black Pyramid showing just how many drives are not being used on that machine along with the output connector locations.

rgqJrMK.jpg

Cool, 3 slingshots. Auxiliary board for Paragon aye. You can utilize the remaining unused solenoid drive circuits on the Bally Solenoid Driver Board by putting driver wires directly to the R-57 though to R-71 resistors where they come out of the U2 74L154 chip. It will bypass the U2 chip control of the drive circuit but if it isn't being used, I see it as a waste having them just sitting there doing nothing. I know this isn't something you would be interested in trying to keep everything Bally compatible but I thought you may be interested none the less.

This is the Tech Sheet for Black Pyramid showing just how many drives are not being used on that machine along with the output connector locations.

rgqJrMK.jpg

Thanks @Autosteve

The Aux board is there to extend the game and to replace some costly mecs

1. It replaces the inline targets with the collection of both loops - for each target.

2. It interferes with the drop target bank auto reset - and resets the single drops on at a time.

3. It provides scoring outs for 500 and 1000 + add bonus.

4. Provides extra playfield insert lighting.

5. Serial out for audio / video drive.

6. Does RGB GI lighting and sequencing .

7.Enables and disables the kickout hole for target / jackpot reset.

This is all done under the playfield with single 40 pin chip

and maintains a Bally standard wiring setup.

Modding the CPU interface connections takes the machine outside its

ability to be changed out for another playfield.

I get where your coming from but it would only work for a single game.

@kress , yer I didn't think it would be something you would use as it requires modding the board set and wiring but still thought you may be interested none the less.

Speaking of interesting, that Aux board sounds like a work of art. Some interesting features you have working there.

I'm just looking out how Bally utilized the 5th bank select line ATM on a very few of there games. It seems the chip always had the ability, they just very rarely used it.

That 5th line was just held high normally but if it is set low, the solenoid drives are further multiplexed.

I contacted the PinSound guys and asked the question about providing support for the 80's Bally's and they said after a few other little projects they plan on adapting there product to 80's Bally's so we can add custom modern sounds and music to older games or custom games which will be cool

I contacted the PinSound guys and asked the question about providing support for the 80's Bally's and they said after a few other little projects they plan on adapting there product to 80's Bally's so we can add custom modern sounds and music to older games or custom games which will be cool

I've been doing some experiments with this as well trying to hack the sound board.

Because these are basically analogue sounds generated on the board ( a synthesizer if you will )

which are mixed by a binary coded string at its input its kooky...But i think do-able.

It has to be for this project because the sound board is the main drawback - too many variations

4 different boards were used between Bally and Stern and chimes.

I know it can be done because they did it... it will need the wav trigger board or similar for speed definitely .

This is low on the Totem pole right now but does need resolving for this project.

Hopefully it will be done by Pinsound and is a universal board for all games.

Incorporating Bally and Stern will be tricky cause Sterns used a different header on the board.

We have put a Wild Fyre playfield into the cab and the game ran fine but not a squeak from the Bally soundboard.

I got a couple of the WAV Trigger boards for my alltek 80's approach homebrew but I have read that you can't link wires directly to the playfield switches as the power spikes can pop the boards so need to learn a solution to overcome this instead of double switching all features

you have probably seen this @kress so for anyone else curious these are great little boards

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/wav-trigger-hookup-guide-v11?_ga=2.193834286.248046402.1497335576-1526744906.1495167266

this project made good use of similar older style boards

This may be a case of the later the Bally SS, the easier. The first sound boards are mainly just sounds with a couple of tunes for a couple of features were as the later sound boards seem to have far more tunes so that means more triggers.

To give an example on Black Pyramid there is a dedicated tune that only plays when you loose the ball down the outlanes. It only scores something like 1000 points but it is a tune not used for anything else including other 1000 point shots. Landing the ball in the upper hole, it can score 5 different things. The 5 scores have 3 totally different tunes depending on what is lit when you land the ball in hole. It actually is quite complex even though it only uses sounds on that board with no speech. Probably because it uses a 6821 as it decoder chip. The outputs of the 6821 would probably be more suited for all the tunes and sounds the wave trigger boards can play.

I got a couple of the WAV Trigger boards for my alltek 80's approach homebrew but I have read that you can't link wires directly to the playfield switches as the power spikes can pop the boards so need to learn a solution to overcome this instead of double switching all features

you have probably seen this @kress so for anyone else curious these are great little boards

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/wav-trigger-hookup-guide-v11?_ga=2.193834286.248046402.1497335576-1526744906.1495167266

this project made good use of similar older style boards

I thought this was Spinal Tap at first look ... Poor Flash Gordon

My approach to this is to relocate the original switch wiring to the output of my board

which gives the machine what it requires switch matrix wise.

Then the playfield switches go to the input of my board ( which has its own 49 switch matrix ) so i can ' mess ' with rules ,add sounds ,lighting and video.

This board is so over blown for intergrating to a Bally its designed to run a complete game like Airplane!.

The thing is the more you try to design something from scratch thats efficient hardware wise

the more it ends up being exactly how engineers did it in the past.

49 input switch Matrix ( summed low )

IMG_20190313_060622282.thumb.jpg.0ba96b37ccfd150bad7df4695e361fbe.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update

Cabinet repaired , customised and painted.

All Electrical hardware installed - Amp , Speakers and Bally soundboard.

Gi Lighting .

Playfield rubbing and plastic overlay done.

IMG_20190427_172829845.thumb.jpg.50ef923d1362f750d653caea4b5af205.jpgIMG_20190427_172843720.thumb.jpg.e9882c44799b89afdfafc9fdab34fa97.jpgIMG_20190427_172858863.thumb.jpg.0bb8fc8572926ec991ff63e67ce8ca75.jpgIMG_20190427_172850107.thumb.jpg.9dea959063e624af3b7571406d1023d6.jpgIMG_20190427_172847173.thumb.jpg.2d187f32bf99b3acce01815c8037d7f3.jpg

IMG_20190427_192525969.thumb.jpg.673489d2d06d2fa67b6cb2bccba2f251.jpg

IMG_20190427_172902169.thumb.jpg.55eeaee17bc24da04f703b5e70822025.jpg

IMG_20190427_192555316.thumb.jpg.32e41445373947f624c5a4b1439f43b7.jpg

Edited by kress

• 2 months later...
Looks very nice :D I like the Bally Artwork, Simple, but striking visually.....However the Russians have downloaded the exposed workings of the HHGTTG and will be selling rip offs at the Mosco Sunday Markets by November !:o

If they could reverse engineer it and send me a manual, that would be awesome !:)!