Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Exciter speaker Mini Comparison

OzStick

Question

I know other people have made recommendations as to what they feel is the "best" exciter to use for a SSF setup, but this is typically a simple opinion based on the one type they have purchased rather than a review of several different types.

Being at a point where I had to purchase more stock, only to find out that the Digitech Exciters from Jaycar have been discontinued, I needed to look for alternatives and (for now) settled on two; the Dayton DAEX58FP and the Dayton DAEX25FHE-4.

This is a short and quick comparison of both Dayton units to the Digitech AS-3039 Exciter, which I have been using for some time and been very happy with. Anyone who has visited me and played my test rig will attest to how well a simple 2-exciter SSF setup can perform. So let's get on with it:

Dayton DAEX58FP

http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/a/daex58fp_photo_5_2.jpg

These are slightly more compact than the Digitech unit and offer the same flat plastic panel for simple mounting to a panel. This makes them easy to re-position, which is especially handy if you've never used them before and need to experiment with their location. More importantly they are rated at 25W and 8Ohm and offer noticeably more punch compared to the Digitech, which means you get more "feels" at the same volume.

Dayton DAEX25FHE-4

daex25fhe-4_photo_5_2.jpg

These are smaller again and rated at 4 ohms and 24W, meaning that they should be more efficient than the other two exciters. Whilst they are framed and have 4 eyelets for mounting, they do not "flat mount" like the other two and are designed to mount using a ring of high strength 3M adhesive tape. You can screw mount them, but you'd need to use thin screws (either 4g or M3) at least 20mm long and take care to ensure they are all screwed to the same depth so the exciter mounts flat to the surface.

These exciters lack a bit of punch compared to the other two and would be best to use if you have a timber lockdown bar (or control panel) so the vibrations are transmitted more directly.

CONCLUSION

If you find your local Jaycar no longer have the Digitech AS-3039, the Dayton DAEX58FP seems to be a perfect substitute and for a similar price. They can be a little harder to find but these guys appear to always have them in stock:

https://www.wagneronline.com.au/dayton-sound-exciter-58mm-25w/speaker-drivers-audiophile/audio-speakers-pa/991146/fl/

That's it for now, but I may try out other Dayton models in the future.

daex58fp_photo_5_2.thumb.jpg.cc7644d08a83c6a8b626aac03fdeeab9.jpg

1 answer to this question