Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Tournament Format Idea: Zzap Parallel Matchplay

Zzap

I've been thinking about a range of IFPA tournament formats, looking to optimise time and TGP and I've come up with a format that I think optimises both to the max, but at the cost of requiring a lot of machines!

So to get 100% TGP you need 25 two player games, or 12.5 (really 13) four player games.

The downside of having four player games is one player plays, while three others stand around waiting.

To optimise time, you want everyone playing at the same time. To do this, you can have groups of four people play across four machines. You play your ball on one machine, then rotate to the next one where someone's just finished their first ball etc. This could use any of the standard points per game (such as IFPA 7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd etc)

You play three rounds of these four player, four games = 12 four player games, then top two play off for the final in a one on one match.

Downside is you need at least one machine for everyone in the competition - 20 players = 20 machines!

Thoughts?

This is definitely a creative idea, congratulations! :)

Even if not against the rules as they stand right now (can a player have more than game in progress at the same time?), I suspect that, after a year of doing this and getting significant points, the IFPA might well put a stop to it. I would check with Dan @Fair Dinkum Dan and Luke @LCM before implementing this—they have a direct line to the pinball Gods…

Michi.

This is definitely a creative idea, congratulations! :)

Even if not against the rules as they stand right now (can a player have more than game in progress at the same time?), I suspect that, after a year of doing this and getting significant points, the IFPA might well put a stop to it. I would check with Dan @Fair Dinkum Dan and Luke @LCM before implementing this—they have a direct line to the pinball Gods…

Michi.

It’s fine. Dave Stewart out in Seattle has been running this format for years. It’s called something like Multi-Game Match Play Madness or something like that.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

It’s fine. Dave Stewart out in Seattle has been running this format for years. It’s called something like Multi-Game Match Play Madness or something like that.

Thanks for confirming that Josh!

It sounds like a fun idea. "Madness" seems to be appropriate. Somewhat more frenzied than even a flip frenzy :)

As long as everything goes well, I think it would definitely save a lot of time.

I wonder how hard it is to keep things on track if something goes wrong, though. For one, playing four games concurrently, the potential for someone to play the wrong ball would go up. Dealing with malfunctions, stuck balls, sorting out compensation balls, asking for a ruling, etc. are also an issue. Normally, all players are at the machine when that happens and can hear the ruling. But, with this format, the players who need to know are playing other machines at the time. Not sure how you would best sort that out.

I would try this for a few rounds just to get experience. Having each player record their player number on each machine on a sheet of paper would probably be a good idea. Also, some rule about who goes next on a machine when it becomes available will be needed. (You might have two players finish their ball on two other machines pretty much simultaneously.)

Michi.

It’s fine. Dave Stewart out in Seattle has been running this format for years. It’s called something like Multi-Game Match Play Madness or something like that

Doh! Hard to come up with with an original format :) Thanks for clarifying Josh