Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bally 6M$M displays

greydog

Question

Hi all

Having an issue with player 6 display on my Six Million Dollar man, it constanty displays zeros, I swapped displays and its the same so no problems with actual display, the Mpu is rough and had alot of repairs in its time, thinking the issue is probably there, any tips on what can try to identify the problem?

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

16 answers to this question

From memory the extra displays get driven via a lamp board somehow reseat your lamp board connectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, checked out your suggestion and it appears the credit- match display is driven from lamp driver as is the high score to date.

I have an Altek lamp driver board that I'll pop in, see what happens.

I would be looking at U20 on the MPU (4502), check the associated J1 connector pins first, I have had just one display not working with this chip as the problem, but a pin on the J1 connector can cause a problem as well.

Less likely could be U8 (5101), can cause display problems but usually all displays. Could clear all the data on the the 5101 by using S33 in test mode, clear/zero each current bookkeeping entry one by one with S33. Just means you need to set up settings like replay scores ect again.

At least you can verify the problem is with the MPU trying the Altek

Edited by richard.m

I would be looking at U20 on the MPU (4502), check the associated J1 connector pins first, I have had just one display not working with this chip as the problem, but a pin on the J1 connector can cause a problem as well.

Less likely could be U8 (5101), can cause display problems but usually all displays. Could clear all the data on the the 5101 by using S33 in test mode, clear/zero each current bookkeeping entry one by one with S33. Just means you need to set up settings like replay scores ect again.

At least you can verify the problem is with the MPU trying the Altek

Thanks for the help and tips.

The Alltek lamp driver board made no difference, I have installed a Tangles Nvram in U8 but still cleared everything as suggested but still no joy.

I have reflowed solder on J1 pins and all looks good.

Ill replace the chip at U20 at some stage and see if thats the culprit, if not it's off to the professionals [emoji2]

Could you please explain how I measure that, I'm way out of my deapth now [emoji16]

If you don't have a logic probe then with the machine OFF, check if you have zero ohm continuity from the bottom leg of resistor R104 on the MPU board, to pin 15 of the 6th display connector. Resistor R104 is around the bottom left of the MPU board near connector J4. This is the display strobe signal for the 6th display.

If you don't have continuity, you might have to recrimp the terminal at pin 8 of the J4 connector at the MPU board.

• Like 1

If you don't have a logic probe then with the machine OFF, check if you have zero ohm continuity from the bottom leg of resistor R104 on the MPU board, to pin 15 of the 6th display connector. Resistor R104 is around the bottom left of the MPU board near connector J4. This is the display strobe signal for the 6th display.

If you don't have continuity, you might have to recrimp the terminal at pin 8 of the J4 connector at the MPU board.

Ahhhh Quench you the man [emoji16]

All fixed, did exactly what you said and bingo problem found, the tab on the wire in the plug at pin 8 J4 was broken.

Thanks for your help..[emoji106]

20180822_074254.thumb.jpeg.47278c58975382865c41da3ca8445511.jpeg