Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bartronica in Melbourne's CBD is getting so good games.

Bartronica in Melbourne's CBD, located in a basement location at 335 Flinders Lane is getting quite alot of good games now. You may or may not heard about the Point Blank world recorded that was set by Jackson Smith with a score of 212,516, beating Queensland Netherworld's Tyson Hargreaves who got 201,851.

Jackson's score is the first world record that I know of set at Bartronica, but there could be more world records set there if people knew some of the recent additions they have there. Bartronica has some of the Konami one's, you know Simpson and TMNT as well as Midway's Mortal Kombat 1 and 2. But, in recent times they got in some cool stuff like, VS. Super Mario Bros, MS. Pacman, Ghouls and Ghosts, Double Dragon 1 and 2, Donkey Kong, Snow Bros, Galaga, House of the Dead, Virtual Cop 2 and the super rare Baby Pacman, which is a video game/Pinball hybrid from 1981. One of the owners Aaron said there is going to be more games added in the future.

I'm saying this because not many great gamers go there and this place has potential to have more records set or at the very least have some great gamers showcase their talent. I know there are some great Snow Bros players out there and maybe some Ghouls and Ghost too and I would like to see them play someday.

There was a guy who uploaded to the Bartronica gamer's hub on Facebook, that got over 100,000 points on House of the Dead and apparently the game doesn't show the score properly after you get over 100,000. I would love to see this guy play since I really like the game but I'm crap at the light gun games now. My arms get sore for holding the guns in that position, LOL.

I have met a few gamers in recent weeks that have been playing the games at Bartronica. These guys are great players and they are better than the average person who goes there. The people who go there just usually drink but some people play the games, but you have to go on a regular basis to see the ones who can actually play, it's rare to bump into them. Like I said I recently met a couple of guys that can play, but I've recently been going there every week on a Thursday/Friday.

I hope to see more gamers going there since they are getting more of the 'Classic' games rather than the big, 90's 4 player games nobody rarely plays.

• Like 1

G'day NIJ! Great post mate. Nice to see you on AA!

It is definitely exciting with the new machines coming over to Bartronica from Pinball Paradise. Can't wait to see what Aaron has in store for us arcade nuts in the coming weeks. :) It was only the second time I'd played Double Dragon II on arcade there last friday night which was great fun and motivating to say the least!

I have to echo your sentiments on the desire to create a strong arcade gaming community at Bartronica. This was partly the reason I started the high score watch thread here. Hopefully we start seeing more gamers interacting, encouraging each other and going for these records. This way, we can start cultivating a greater sense of community and to attempt to build on it in a similar way to the thriving scene in Brisbane.

One key goal I feel is for our Melbourne barcades to have a full team by the time next years "Battle of the Arcades" comes around. We didn't quite make it for that at Pixel Alley this year, but small steps as they say! I know I thoroughly enjoyed being part of the first one.

I also think once Bartronica gets a new high score board revamped and fully updated properly, we'll start seeing more movement on the scoring front. For me, this is definitely a huge priority for the integrity of the scene. We need to see the respect given to the gaming culture. I'm sure the chap who asked for his House of the Dead score to go up would agree. :)

That guy who did the HOTD score, I think his name is Chris. I didn't know what was going on at first, but he obviously completed the game and I think it's the only way you can get your name on the game, I could be wrong. He got a final score of 101,260. But on the high score screen, the high score is 1260, er what. His next score is 99,260, so even though at the end you can see your score in full, on the high score table it can't handle anything after 100,000. Just the last four digits are displayed. weired. have a look at the pics on the hub.

- - - Updated - - -

Was it the original Time Crisis. They had that and I miss it terribly. I don't want to play Time Crisis 2, but sometimes I do. Hopefully it wasn't me smelling at the bar i go there Thursday/Friday LOL. If it was, I'm sorry, but I use Lynx.

• 2 years later...

In the words of Monty Python "Spam spam spam; spam!" �

And now for something completely different:

It is fantastic that Bartronica and Pixel Alley are now back open again after the long dry spell caused by the Melbourne lockdowns. It's really pleasing that they've survived and are open for us arcade nuts again to put in a few creds and have a quiet brew or two after work. :)

In the absence of Ms Pacman from Bartronica (man I hope it comes back soon...@Pelly? Anyone? Help!) I've been getting into Speed Race recently with a couple of mates; one of which is the OP.

With a simple compelling gampelay which takes me back to Le Mans on C64, getting 3000+ on this game and hearing the short rewarding jingle never fails to bring a pleasurable buzz.

The Bartronica record is a fascinating topic; with the question of whether Alex's old "3925" is actually possible. If you're around the place Alex, tell us how you did it!

The highest I've seen thus far in around 4 years is NIJ's "3875"; an astounding run which featured no mistakes. The machine definitely has some quirks though in the way that it every so often steals your extension time; the unwitting player can be left in shock as to why his 90 seconds was suddenly turned into just 10. :) Analysing how and why it does this is a fun topic of discussion too.

Still a great game and so much fun to play!

Other newer additions to the Bartronica array of cabs: Tetris (low boy) Altered Beast (another low boy) and Rastan (it's back again...yes!)

Double Dragon I & II are no more; alas, which is a shame, as I was just starting to improve a bit on DD2. :) Same goes for Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja which was another game I loved a kid. Hopefully they will return one day along with some other new machines to surprise gamers and keep us coming back for more. Keep up the great work Mr Josh Flamank!

(But please bring back Ms Pacman soon...) :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Went there on the weekend. Quality of the machines leaves a lot to be desired and their Neo Geo doesn't have sound. 😞

Also the 64 TV is set to 16:9. Yuck.

Music is too loud to hear the games anyway.

• Sad 1