Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

42" 28" 19" build

Hi All

I am saying goodbye to my setup which is my 42" TV sitting on the pool table. Its been my setup for quite a while now, probably about time to build something.

I have a panasonic 42" LCD for the playfield.

Viewsonic 28" 16x10 aspect ratio for the backglass. It looks really good at that aspect ratio and the colours are amazing.

A 19" monitor for the DMD. Maybe use half of the same monitor for video topper screen too.

I have a pinscape main board all soldered up and ready to go.

Amps and 5 exciters

Plunger with potentiometer, buttons from Chris at OzStick

Pinball legs, knocker and a tilt bob.

I made the base cabinet so far and a bracket for the decased playfield TV which I will hinge.

I'm deciding at the moment how to do the side rails and what material to use. Also how I am going to have the glass panel slide in neatly. I am leaning towards routing an aluminium channel into the sides a little and using some felt on the inside of the channel. How have you guys done it?

I am also undecided on finishing it. I am happy with one solid colour and no artwork. I was thinking of spray painting or vinyl wrap. I haven't used vinyl wrap before but I have sprayed. I am not the world greatest spray painter but I think I could get a half decent finish. I'm in Perth if anyone know a good place to get vinyl.

Progress may be slow on this one as a work away from home a lot. But I am going to try and push it along.

Cheers

Legin

IMG_20181227_155019999.thumb.jpg.b8e8cbb84e90927fa3c915f31b131f2f.jpg

IMG_20181229_120749614.thumb.jpg.fe58d4931faa5afd6a3660d223209052.jpg

IMG_20181230_104503453.thumb.jpg.7a09014d210525ffd8248e2a159bc545.jpg

IMG_20181229_164011480.thumb.jpg.367383b3b3a1f145c6e04dcfe6926484.jpg

I'm deciding at the moment how to do the side rails and what material to use. Also how I am going to have the glass panel slide in neatly. I am leaning towards routing an aluminium channel into the sides a little and using some felt on the inside of the channel. How have you guys done it?

Cheers

Legin

I think the majority of pincabs use real pinball siderails and the plastic side rail trim that goes with it for the playfeild glass.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I think the majority of pincabs use real pinball siderails and the plastic side rail trim that goes with it for the playfeild glass.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

+ 1. But more importantly, is your cab a standard size? If not, getting a decent lockdown bar made up could be fun. Good luck with the build! Mine has stalled / been at the bottom of the priority list for a little too long :-).

+ 1. But more importantly, is your cab a standard size? If not, getting a decent lockdown bar made up could be fun. Good luck with the build! Mine has stalled / been at the bottom of the priority list for a little too long :-).

I deliberately made the cab a standard widebody size. Both length and width. I never intended to use a standard lockdown bar. i am going to make my own out of wood.

With the side rails I know I can get them from Railways but do the sell the channel too? I couldnt find the channel in Oz.

I am trying not to buy too many expensive pinball specific parts. I am a cheap ass and Im trying to keep the cost down.

I deliberately made the cab a standard widebody size. Both length and width. I never intended to use a standard lockdown bar. i am going to make my own out of wood.

With the side rails I know I can get them from Railways but do the sell the channel too? I couldnt find the channel in Oz.

I am trying not to buy too many expensive pinball specific parts. I am a cheap ass and Im trying to keep the cost down.

I am a cheap ass too, but some bits you have to buy to get it right. Channel is 2 of these. https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/03-7135-1.html.

If you are considering vinyl wrap then there's a huge range available as vehicle wrap on Ebay. Last lot I got was 5m x 60cm of matte black embossed carbon fibre pattern and that wrapped two 3/4 sized cabs with plenty to spare and only cost me about $50. I even got a squeegee, a trimmer, a cutter and a nifty tool to poke the wrap into corners, all of which came in handy.

I used ply (noticed you have too, which is good) and I didn't bother with a full undercoat of paint before the vinyl, rather I just used some black water based enamel that I applied with a foam roller and did a quick cover of the bottom and back panels on both the cabinet and backbox, then a quick sand once the paint was dried to knock the furry bits off, then a thorough wipe over with a tack cloth and then on went the wrap. Easy peasy and the vinyl wrap sticks like the proverbial.......

If you are considering vinyl wrap then there's a huge range available as vehicle wrap on Ebay. Last lot I got was 5m x 60cm of matte black embossed carbon fibre pattern and that wrapped two 3/4 sized cabs with plenty to spare and only cost me about $50. I even got a squeegee, a trimmer, a cutter and a nifty tool to poke the wrap into corners, all of which came in handy..

Thanks Chris. I have had a quick poke around ebay. Was the stuff you got from an Australian seller? There seems to be a lot of people selling odd sizes of vinyl and you have to weed through a lot of listings. If you could share the link that would be great.

Thanks Chris. I have had a quick poke around ebay. Was the stuff you got from an Australian seller? There seems to be a lot of people selling odd sizes of vinyl and you have to weed through a lot of listings. If you could share the link that would be great.

Yep, no worries.

I actually bought the "tools" separately from the vinyl as it turned out cheaper for me to do it that way. I got the tools from here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Pcs-Vinyl-Wrap-Applicator-Tools-Car-Home-Decals-Micro-Squeegee-Cutter-AUS/162923537405?hash=item25eeffe3fd:g:w3IAAOSw~LBb2llZ:rk:1:pf:0

The carbon fibre vinyl I bought form this seller:

https://www.ebay.com.au/str/michael-oz-electronics/3D-CARBON-FIBRE-VINYL-WRAP/_i.html?_storecat=14015802018

They offer a wide range of widths, lengths, styles and colours, AND they are a LOCAL seller so you won't have to wait 7 weeks for delivery!!! Their vinyl is good quality, too.

Yep, no worries.

I actually bought the "tools" separately from the vinyl as it turned out cheaper for me to do it that way. I got the tools from here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Pcs-Vinyl-Wrap-Applicator-Tools-Car-Home-Decals-Micro-Squeegee-Cutter-AUS/162923537405?hash=item25eeffe3fd:g:w3IAAOSw~LBb2llZ:rk:1:pf:0

The carbon fibre vinyl I bought form this seller:

https://www.ebay.com.au/str/michael-oz-electronics/3D-CARBON-FIBRE-VINYL-WRAP/_i.html?_storecat=14015802018

They offer a wide range of widths, lengths, styles and colours, AND they are a LOCAL seller so you won't have to wait 7 weeks for delivery!!! Their vinyl is good quality, too.

Thanks for the links Chris

I ended up buying the tools. I also scored a roll of vinyl from a mate. It has about 20mt on it buy the looks of it. He owed me a favour so I get to use whatever I need from the roll. Just goes to show it always pays to ask around, you never know what people have laying around.

Backglass assembled

Made some more progress on the build. It will all come to a stop for a while as I am of too work for a week or so.

The backglass is all put together and the 2 monitors are all secured nicely inside.

I am waiting on some t-moulding. Once I get that I can pull it apart again and cut the slots.

I have to mount the back doors on the backglass and cut some access holes and mounting holes.

I made a very rough wooden lockdown bar. It still need more work to accommodate the side rails I got from Jeff at Railways. Thanks Jeff. His rails look awesome.

I am also going to shape the lockdown bar a bit, I left heaps of meat on the front and sides to be able to shape it with a rasp etc.

IMG_20190109_160514967.thumb.jpg.f7344c4d1acccfb6be12d205004d4758.jpgIMG_20190109_155903676.thumb.jpg.9a30403e1a6c6af934b7cad10ae4b700.jpgIMG_20190109_161834699.thumb.jpg.a9cec7c28871f48d5486106c8348c523.jpgIMG_20190109_161820302.thumb.jpg.f95e0e944c46e20196fa8588fc528d85.jpg

Good start on your lockdown - looks rather bulky at the moment but no doubt that will change.

Are you putting speakers in the backbox alongside the lower monitor? That would be the place for them IMO and if so, I reckon rectangular holes for them will some sort of custom grille inserted in from behind would complete the look and may help the backbox to not look so tall. Again it will all look completely different once it's all finished off.:cool:

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I have neglected this thread. Very naughty of me.

I will find some photos and upload them. Basically it has been finished for a long time now.

I have ended up getting rid of the wooden lockdown. I have a genuine williams lockdown.

Went with SSF no contactors. Cheap amps off ebay, they work great.

Im running VPX, MAME and Pinball FX3, frontend is PinupPopper.

I love my virtual pinball machine and I play it almost every day (when I am not away at work FIFO)

image_145992.thumb.jpg.d9bb272b21f83c7ae9d3a927418a94ed.jpg image_145993.thumb.jpg.42f630111a7dab4362ba4019c202c533.jpg

image_145994.thumb.jpg.c9e24d01ecfadfe969dec3ed0a2f2b5f.jpg image_145995.thumb.jpg.d79d2daa618940c2bec0f60e3bfbf156.jpg

Edited by Arcade King
  • Like 3

Hi All

I have neglected this thread. Very naughty of me.

I will find some photos and upload them. Basically it has been finished for a long time now.

I have ended up getting rid of the wooden lockdown. I have a genuine williams lockdown.

Went with SSF no contactors. Cheap amps off ebay, they work great.

Im running VPX, MAME and Pinball FX3, frontend is PinupPopper.

I love my virtual pinball machine and I play it almost every day (when I am not away at work FIFO)

How do you like Pinup popper as a front end ? is it easy to setup ?

I really like pinup popper. I have used pinballx in the past. Popper is much better especially for media. Easy to install, use the guides. This one in particular: http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php

Lots of other youtube vids. Terry Hargerty has some cracking videos on everything. I used his doflinx one recently. Top notch stuff

Edited by legin

I made an addition to my pincab yesterday, I made a MAME controller which just clips on using bed frame joiners,

Just one joystick and a spinner. I like racing games especially champion sprint

1182748324_MAMEcontroller.thumb.jpg.881d8fd4f152d5ba48f7f6925a6a0306.jpg

• Like 3

I made an addition to my pincab yesterday, I made a MAME controller which just clips on using bed frame joiners,

Just one joystick and a spinner. I like racing games especially champion sprint

Cool idea with the clip-on control panel.

I've seen multi-use pincabs with two joysticks and a myriad of LED buttons on the front and they look horrible! this is a clever solution for a multicab :023: