Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B + OR.. ODROID XU4

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here but it feels good to be back! Hahaha I'll be setting up another (WWF) Bartop Arcade machine, I would like some feedback regarding what SBC to use. I'n the past, I've always used an old de-cased, quad or dual core PC. This time I'd like to give a SBC a go... Why? Well.... Because I haven't used one before and would like to run Emulation Station due to the ease of setup as compared to Hyperspin (from what I've read/watched on the internet anyways).

The purpose of this Bartop build will be to play MAME ROMs from the 80's/90's and perhaps some of the older consoles as well i.e NES, Master System, SNES etc. This machine MUST be capable of playing Mortal Kombat I - III Ultimate, NBA Jam series, Metal Slug Series and CPS System III would be nice as well.

Here's where the tricky bit comes in, I've seen in the past that the Raspberry 2/3 series has struggled with the above games. I've read that you need to use older ROM sets (0.79 from memory) as well as different MAME cores in order for the above games to work. Not to mention, overclocking the CPU on the Raspberry Pi. I haven't really seen/read much info regarding testing of the newer Raspberry Pi Model B +. It can be safely overclocked to 1.575 Ghz (as done by ETA Prime):

Would this be enough power to emulate the above without any audio issues, frame skipping, graphical glitches etc? I want an easy setup, I don't want to have to find obscure versions of every ROM, customise all of the setting for said ROM in order for it to work.

OR...

Should I spend a little more and purchase the ODROID XU4?

The ODROID XU4 has 2Ghz right off the bat without even overclocking! There are 2 reasons why I'm reluctant to buy the ODROID. The first is lack of on-board 3.5mm line out. Now the LCD that I'll be using does not have HDMI therefore audio cannot be sent this way. I also can't use a HDMI to DVI cable as my DVI port is analog. I plan on using a HDMI to VGA converter, and for audio a small 12 volt amplifier that will plug into the line out on the Raspberry Pi. How would I be able to achieve audio out using the ODROID XU4?

And secondly, the support community for the ODROID seems as though it is lacking? It seems like there is a larger community online for Raspberry Pi support, and if I get stuck I should be able to find a solution for any problems that may arise.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

You won't be getting CPS3 running smoothly in either of those devices, period.

I'd stick with Rpi, more mature and greater user base / support.

This guy manages to get Street Fighter 3 - 3rd Strike working on a Raspberry Pi 2, or is it a hoax?