Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Toshiba LR27012 Zapping - I want to live again!

teddy

Question

Astro City.jpg

So this is Christmas, and what have you done? Well I spent a few days getting my astro city in perfect working order which included updating mame, creating custom game lists and removing unsuitable games for kids. I thought I would introduce them all to some fun and simple games. Success! One final test before the kids arrive and zzzzaaaapp is all I hear from the Astro City. I walked away with my head down with no time to do more work on the Astro City.

It sounds like the zapping noise is coming from the yoke. Are there any basic troubleshooting steps I should look at? Would the monitor be fried or just the yoke? I have no idea where to start for the monitor and what actually may be dead.

Here is the deadly sound.

Thanks.

12 answers to this question

Hmmm, there is a visible arc there on the vid, but it's hard to say exactly where it's coming from. I wouldn't have thought the yoke would get a high enough voltage to actually arc. So it might still be the anode button. Sometimes when dirt or dust gets under the anode cap that will cause arcing. You could try cleaning it and reseating it, possibly with some spark-plug grease around the rubber rim, or vaseline if you don't have the former?

Of course, take a good look at the yoke area as well when you open it up. Maybe someone else can report in on what the inductances/resistances should be across the coils when you use a multimeter?

EDIT: and shit yes, as prktkljokr notes, make sure you know how to discharge the tube before going near anything there.

Edited by buttersoft

Thanks everyone. When my nephews leave next week I’ll take another look.

I don’t know how to discharge the monitor but I’m aware of the dangers.

Is this something I can learn and perform? Can I measure if there is still voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Machine off, Get a screwdriver with a good plastic handle, earth the metal of the screwdriver to the metal chassis of the monitor with a length of wire, jumper cable whatever, slip it under the cap, you will hear a crack do it a couple of times to make sure, then squeeze the anode cap on both sides and lift off.

My first time I had gardening gloves on :lol