Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

info needed on 12v to 240v inverters

I know little about inverters and looking on Ebay throws up hundreds that will do varying jobs.

I have just bought myself a 4X4 Mitsubishi Canter crew cab, now its time to stuff it with all the 4X4 goodies, it runs a 12v system, I think I would like it to have a inverter that will be overkill for what I think I will need.

I have been looking on Ebay and have seen that there are units that are 3000W with a peak of 6000W, these vary from $80 through to $400, there are ones that do 6000W with a peak of 12000W that are about $450 - $550 and 1 that has a peak of 32000W.

I also see that some are just marked as just inverters and some are marked as solar inverters, some have a rated power much less than the 6000W, like 900W, so what do I need to look for if I wish to use things like a small compressor, run power to a Caravan or whatever, or should I just mount a Generator under the tray and be done with the inverter crap?

I have a 2000W pure sin inverter (max 4000W). My experience has been that it will be dependant on the types of battery that you have as to whether they will be able to supply the current needed. As an example, my current system is let down by the fact that it cannot draw enough current from the two batteries that run it. 600W seems to be the max for my setup despite what the inverter is rated for.

The other thing to note is that anything that is element driven will require significant power. Think kettles etc. My recommendation is to look at what you want to power at once and add the wattages. Anything more than 300W is going to require multiple batteries to feed the inverter with enough current.

Also, I have both a generator and a solar inverter to charge the batteries.

I see what your saying, so if I tried to run it from my sons little 3cyl Mirage it will only run to what the little battery will allow.

The truck has 2 batteries, they are deep cycle truck batteries and they are linked together, + to + and - to -, so still only 12V but the cranking amps are higher, I know I have a 120W one that used to power the sons Playstation in the car, he now uses it to play a 17" bartop arcade when he's at car meets, thats why I thought that a inverter was the way to go.

Inverters are cool but they use power so anything using a lot of 220-240volt AC I would recommend a generator.

However, I like using 220-240 volt lighting off a 12volt system because the bulbs are common and actually comparing usable light output, use less power.

Another thing to consider is the bigger the inverter, the more power they use even when no load is on them so a 2000watt inverter will use a couple of amps from the battery with nothing connected to it where as a small inverter, like I use for lighting use virtually nothing.

I use 75 watt inverters and that will drive quite a few 220-240 volt light bulbs.

These style inverters are similar to what I use. They say 75watts and are Chinese so don't pull over 50 watts and they should be fine.

You can run a couple of light bulbs, I use 9watt LED style 220-240volt bulbs and about 5 off one inverter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/75W-Car-Charger-Adapter-DC-12V-to-AC-220V-Power-Inverter-Cigarette-Ligter-USB-/223008358937?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0

These style inverters are similar to what I use. They say 75watts and are Chinese so don't pull over 50 watts and they should be fine.

You can run a couple of light bulbs, I use 9watt LED style 220-240volt bulbs and about 5 off one inverter.

Thanks for the info on them using power, I will have to ad a switch to the system.

75 watts are a little small for what I was looking for, the lighting I definitely have covered, 2 x 52", 2 x 24", 2 x 12" Cree LED lightbars, 2 x 5" adjustable LED work lights 4 x 4" LED Reverse lights, not short on the lighting that's for sure, I pitty the fool that high beams me :D, like I said, I am going overkill so I know I have way more than I ever need.

Thanks for the info on them using power, I will have to ad a switch to the system.

75 watts are a little small for what I was looking for, the lighting I definitely have covered, 2 x 52", 2 x 24", 2 x 12" Cree LED lightbars, 2 x 5" adjustable LED work lights 4 x 4" LED Reverse lights, not short on the lighting that's for sure, I pitty the fool that high beams me :D, like I said, I am going overkill so I know I have way more than I ever need.

Sounds like the oldmans dmax. Like a ufo

Hes got extra 2 batteries, fridge, waterpump and has i think 2kva inverter in rear just incase. Charged from 3 solar panel's on rear cab and seems to ok

Ow sorry, I thought you were after a camping style setup and after reading your lighting, yes you have it covered I would say.

Maybe a second alternator might be in order. Running a 2nd alternator means less load on one and you have a backup system charging and you stop the chance of belt slip on the one alternator when you try pulling to much from it.

Batteries,

The ones I use atm seem to be doing the job...

https://www.everybattery.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=T-105RE_set_of_2

Wired in series will give you 12vDC and 225amps and is probably the best bang for your buck ATM plus they are rather small for the capacity even when wired together.

I like this brand of battery because they are designed to clean themselves of calcium buildup on the plates simply throwing 17 volts into them for a short time as recommended by the manufacturer using there special charger.

It makes them last a lot longer than normal deep cycles on the market that you can only chemically clean.

If you go the 2nd alternator wired solely to these batteries and totally isolated from the car's original setup you have peace of mind the inverter you use can't blow up the car's electronics and you will never get a flat battery.

You don't like the 2nd alternator idea at least go a twin battery charging circuit with priority to car's original battery, batteries and once they are charged fully then it swaps over to the secondary batteries.

Inverter, use two of those batteries I linked to and you should get many hours pulling what you want but just bare in mind, 2400 watts @ 240 volts is going to need in excess of 40amps from the 12volt DC batteries to achieve and even deeps cycles don't like going below 60% charge.

Better to just start up the car and let it's alternator or alternators a chance to recharge the batteries.

Solar panels, I wouldn't bother as they are very little output in comparison to what the alternator can put in the batteries for you at the turn of a key and you don't then need a solar inverter either so the money saved can go towards more batteries and fuel to run the car for 1/2 hour or so..

....Car alternator......60-100amps

....2 X 100 watt solar panels......13.333amps at best.

Remember, those batteries I linked to are 225amps and doing the maths shows just how long solar panels would take to charge them in perfect solar conditions.

What are you planning to run? If your planning to run a mobile pinball parlor, a pizza machine and a disco then go with a big diesel generator but if it's just for lights & the TV a 2500-3500 watt inverter should be fine.

Would like to run a compressor if needed, or a power tool or 2, just dont know if these inverters are up to the task.

I have a generator that I could mount under the tray, but its not going to be used regularly on the truck, and there is the possibility it might go for a midnight walk on its own :)

Would like to run a compressor if needed, or a power tool or 2, just dont know if these inverters are up to the task.

I have a generator that I could mount under the tray, but its not going to be used regularly on the truck, and there is the possibility it might go for a midnight walk on its own :)

How many horsepower or watts is the compressor & does it have hard or soft start caps on the electric motor.

Try this calculator to work out load ect.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.html

How many horsepower or watts is the compressor & does it have hard or soft start caps on the electric motor.

Try this calculator to work out load ect.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.html

After checking the specs of the compressor its 2500 Watts 2HP, its only small, it has hard start I think?, but would still like something that will out do what it is needed for as needs change.

Im thinking that 6000W with a 12000W peak would be what I may need to look at, more than enough for now and a bit for later :)