Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Stern Playboy displaying start game and free play during gameplay

robm

Question

Went to help a guy with a Stern Playboy this morning which was not booting. Reseated the 5v plugs on mpu and power supply board and got all that sorted. Will replace the plugs and header pins when I get more time.

However, I played a few test games and occasionally in the middle of the game the 'press start and free play' messages appeared on the dmd. Then you would hit a shot and the normal animations and score display would resume. It was quite unusual... Like the dmd thought it was in attract mode when it was in the middle of a game.

I reseated cables and chip on the dmd controller board and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone had a similar issue with SAM games or suggested fixes?

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

2 answers to this question

Went to help a guy with a Stern Playboy this morning which was not booting. Reseated the 5v plugs on mpu and power supply board and got all that sorted. Will replace the plugs and header pins when I get more time.

However, I played a few test games and occasionally in the middle of the game the 'press start and free play' messages appeared on the dmd. Then you would hit a shot and the normal animations and score display would resume. It was quite unusual... Like the dmd thought it was in attract mode when it was in the middle of a game.

I reseated cables and chip on the dmd controller board and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone had a similar issue with SAM games or suggested fixes?

Although not a Stern, my Frankenstein used to do this regularly and it was reseting as a result of an unstable voltage going to the DMD driver. Seems like you've checked all that out though

Again, probably a different issue but this was the only time I've heard of this issue.

Speaking of Playboy, can I PM you about an issue I could do with a pic of theirs to compare to mine?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate. Will double check that if I am around there again. The guy wasn't too concerned, it was more out of interest sake for me.

I can ask him for pics but he was not that comfortable poking around the machine if it involved lifting the playfield...