Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

B&O MX7000

THX11

Question

I've scored two of these for free from work (yet to pick up). I can't seem to find the actual tube size, just a few indications of 28inch and one that said 26.5 and so on. Can these be stripped and used as an arcade monitor with the RGB (scart) inputs?

8 answers to this question

Not the type of TV you'd want to strip as they're awesome sets and hard to find. Great for console gaming.

You'd need to find a suitable arcade chassis to pair with the tube or if using the current chassis, you would need a device to attenuate and buffer the video signal coming from arcade game boards.

No, unfortunately you can't just connect a jamma game board straight to the TV. Arcade games output a high voltage video signal that would at best, look incredibly bright and washed out on a TV monitor or at worst damage it.

The bare minimum you would need to do is use either resistors or better yet, potentiometers to lower the arcade board video signal to TV standards.

The proper way of doing it for the best possible picture and no threat of damage to either the arcade board (by placing it under an incorrect load) or the TV is to attenuate, regenerate and buffer the RGBS signals to the proper voltage and impedance. This can be done via a circuit comprising of resistors / pots, a video IC such as the THS7314/16/74 and capacitors.

Happy to help if I can - when you say you want to use them as an arcade monitor, are you wanting to install them into a cab with existing wiring or are you planning a scratch build? Or are you looking to play arcade games on the TV using a Supergun?

If you want to be able to play boards on the TV, you can absolutely do that via the SCART inputs using a Supergun (ps. @Frank_fjs makes a great one I'd be happy to demonstrate for you) - if you want to just use the tube and chassis and install it into a cab that's a bit more complicated since you need to find a frame that will fit the tube into the cab, the chances of the frame from another tube fitting are infinitesimally small.

Another option to use the TV in an existing cab or a scratch build would be to install the TV, case and all into the cab and blank out the edges using cardboard to make a frame, use a Supergun powered by an arcade power supply, plug a JAMMA extension harness into the Supergun to connect to game boards and a SCART cable to connect to the TV. Controls can be wired up to the Supergun via DB15 connector, or remove the DB15 connectors and solder the controls directly to the points on the board.

There are definitely options if you can give us an idea of what you're hoping to do :)

- - - Updated - - -

Go with the pots first. I'd recommend some cheap 1k linear ones from Jaycar or the like.

To use a MAME PC with it, you'd just need to combine sync somehow, the video lines can feed straight in.

Easy enough to make a small PCB with a 74LS08 (AND logic) to combine sync. This is how it's achieved on arcade boards :)

If you wanted to get really fancy you could probably fit the logic chip inside a SCART housing...

Easy enough to make a small PCB with a 74LS08 (AND logic) to combine sync. This is how it's achieved on arcade boards :)

Joey posted up a sync inverter/combiner IC schematic a few years ago, and that might work too. Most of the time you can't just tie the lines together though, you have to attenuate the vertical sync a little more than the horizonal sync, but I've not tried with a B&O set. Admittedly that's with VGA-port sync, which has a +5VDC offset.