Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Commodore 64

Fezlar

Hi all.

The retro gaming bug has bitten me recently.

Back in the mid 80's I spent a lot of time playing the C64.

It the new Commodore 64 mini any good? Or are there better options out there.

I am not very computer literate, so I don't have too much time to set up complicated emulators etc. Just a plug n play type thing would suit.

Cheers

Paul

So you might get some opposite opinions, but here is mine. I really like it. Sure, its not the same as playing a real C64 on a CRT monitor, which I still have multiple working sets of.

Pros:

- Its a licenced product in a cute small C64 breadbin replica case.

- Good selection of licenced games that come pre-installed.

- HDMI output, with options for scanlines etc

- Recent official firmware updates allow loading c64 disk images from usb stick (and more like cartridge/ d81 files) so you can put your favourite game files on a stick and load up.

- Save states! This is my favourite feature.

- Convenience for me playing in lounge on LCD TV rather than setting up original hardware (which I like to do when I have time).

- Can attach USB keyboard which maps out automatically

Cons:

- Joystick is pretty rubbish but functional. I have bought a USB hub and some control pads pads as an alternative which works well. Many people online have shared photos of their broken joystick. I can see how it could happen, but would be surprised if it could be done without being a bit too rough.

- Its emulation - not a real hardware C64 in there. Some minor issues as you would expect from emulation.

- Not compatible with every single game ever, and has problems with multi disk games. However some cracks/ conversions do solve this issue for many games.

- The keyboard is not functional.

- "But my raspberry pi is much better and plays all teh romz!" yaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

So I am a pretty big C64 fan, had one back in the day and played it heaps. Have several working lovingly cleaned/ repaired C64s, but now find myself using the C64 mini to play games for the convenience. Sure there are better more expensive modern solutions out there, also plenty of people hate the C64 mini (hey its the internet!)

But I am very happy, and if you look many people online are happy too. I would never give up my real C64s owning this - but really suits me with how easy it is to use and save games like a modern console.

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated.

Just bought one online, suppose to be here Friday or Monday, (hopefully)

One last question, it say I need a power adaptor to play and it's not included. Is it a standard USB micro plug, like a phone charger cable, or one of the plug in adaptors pictured below

download.jpeg.bfe980c560041f4eb8746cc699e4faa9.jpeg

Thanks paul

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated.

Just bought one online, suppose to be here Friday or Monday, (hopefully)

One last question, it say I need a power adaptor to play and it's not included. Is it a standard USB micro plug, like a phone charger cable, or one of the plug in adaptors pictured below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]140170[/ATTACH]

Thanks paul

It comes with a micro usb cable, which might be able to plug into a port in your tv, or use a standard phone usb plug pack if you've got a spare around (I read 1A was the requirement on one site, but you might double check the packaging)