Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Washing machine commutator

The washing machine (bosch) stopped spinning the other day so I pulled the motor out and brushes are pretty much non existent. Waiting for a new set to arrive next week.

Have given the commutator a quick hit with 600 emery paper. See pic... Should I get into it more so there are no black grooves or would it be OK as is? bc2a491b55d114531759727e5f33581b.jpg

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

How badly uneven was it before the initial sanding? Badly worn brushes are most likely due to shot bearings or bent rotor shaft.
Bearings look and sound pretty good and nothing looks bent. I didn't take much off 1st sanding. The machine is 9 years old or so

As long as it feels smooth and even now, will probably give you another 9 years with the new brushes.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add to that... Any additional sanding you do could make it more uneven and accelerate future wear, so I’d leave it. 9 years is pretty good :-).

Yeah i wouldn't worry too much about it, except maybe go for say a quick touch up with 100, 150, 300 then 600. Ideally you would put it in a lathe and machine it smooth but if you get a few more years out of it just by giving it a quick touch up then that's great. We throw stuff away too readily nowadays so good on ya for fixing it :)

Yeah i wouldn't worry too much about it, except maybe go for say a quick touch up with 100, 150, 300 then 600. Ideally you would put it in a lathe and machine it smooth but if you get a few more years out of it just by giving it a quick touch up then that's great. We throw stuff away too readily nowadays so good on ya for fixing it :)

Agreed, it's crazy to think that you could probably buy a replacement part for less than it would cost to get someone to machine it.

I recently turned the comm on my MR2 power steering motor but think I need to go back and re-check it, trips on excess motor current (or so fault code indicates) so reckon i've got a bit of swarf shorting a segment or two out (did goto great effort to clean between segments post machining) but really should of done continuity checks before reassembly ><

When we used to machine commutators, we would have a fine tooth broken hacksaw blade. Sides ground down to make it straight and thin. Then you can clean out all swarf and carbon from the com after it's been machined. This is for DC stuff mind, so up to 12V. From memory the 24V truck motors didn't have grooves between the segments as the extra heat and power kept every thing level when wearing down. Rule of thumb though, if it had grooves, clean them out!

Awesome news for me. New brushes arrived today which cost $10...compared to $80 which the spare parts mob wanted locally.

Put the new brushes in and installed the motor and put machine back together and it works like a charm with no noise at all.

Nice when you have a win!