Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

GK 2019 in 1 Rebuild

armpit

Question

A mate of mine has a Gameking 2019 in 1 which I already added some extra games to ages ago, but yesterday it started blue screening with CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE so I went over with a USB keyboard and tried a few BIOS changes and booting into safe mode but no joy.

Then after about the 5th reboot we got no display so I pulled the box out and brought it home and powered it up with everything disconnected and only my POST tester plugged in. Seems the mobo has carked it, because it is not posting at all. :(

I spoke to a mate in town with a shop and he has a i5 machine that we can have for a couple of bob. I was hoping I could grab it and then all I would need to do is solder the connections from the jamma board to the mobo the same way as it is done with the GK board, plug everything else in and Bob's your uncle.

Before I go down that route though, I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing such and if there are any pitfalls I should look out for, or if I should not even bother with that plan and just get him to order a Pandora or something to bung in the cab. I know he would prefer me to do a PC build so we can put emu's for other machines on it and he could also use it as a jukebox.

3 answers to this question

Before I go down that route though, I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing such and if there are any pitfalls I should look out for, or if I should not even bother with that plan and just get him to order a Pandora or something to bung in the cab. I know he would prefer me to do a PC build so we can put emu's for other machines on it and he could also use it as a jukebox.

Yep - don't bother! not worth the hassle, in the end you've still got a really inflexible and fragile system. I had an xxxx-1 cab as my first machine for a few years from around 2008 and while it was good to get me on the road to being a backyarder, the system sucks.

these multicabs are usually JAMMA based so just get a JPAC to use with a PC and utilise your existing monitor and joystick/buttons, i did that with my xxxx-1 cab and it's still going strong. And add anything you want easily!

Cheers Jed.

After doing some research, I agree 100%. Don't think he will be too happy about spending money on another piece of hardware, but I'm sure once I point out how much better the jpac will be than the crappy adapter the machine came with he will agree it is the way to go.

Nice avatar by the way mate, spent an afternoon last weekend playing Moonstone on my pi and throwing a few stubbies down my kneck. ;)

Cheers Jed.

After doing some research, I agree 100%. Don't think he will be too happy about spending money on another piece of hardware, but I'm sure once I point out how much better the jpac will be than the crappy adapter the machine came with he will agree it is the way to go.

Nice avatar by the way mate, spent an afternoon last weekend playing Moonstone on my pi and throwing a few stubbies down my kneck. ;)

Moonstone was such a great multiplayer game as well, i remember having heaps of fun with friends hacking and slashing each other to bits :)

Mooonstone, IK+, Speedball 2, age shall not weary them..

Probably my fave Amiga game of all time - EBONSTAR. Never played a 4 player game as fun. 2 people on joysticks, another 2 people crammed on the keyboard, last ship standing. The title theme tune for Ebonstar is etched into my brain forever :)