Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Arcade cab speaker replacement

ocyen

Question

Hi all

I'm trying to find new speakers for an air hockey table. The game came with a missing amplifier as well as both speakers missing so I'm trying to get some replacements. The original amp was a TDA7262. It's a 20+20w stereo amp. I'm trying to find some speakers to use with it but there are so many available I'm having a hard time finding one that can be driven by the amp but is not expensive. Can anyone advise a good potential set of speakers that this amp can drive? I'm not too concerned about sound quality being perfect, as long as I can hear it. I was given some great advice to run an external power supply into the cabinet to power some better speakers but I'd prefer to keep things simple and just plug some speakers into the jacks already on the board.

The original speaker specs are 40w, 4 ohm, 80-20K Hz. Appreciate any help!

Edited by ocyen

12 answers to this question

Are you sure they were 40w or 20w each? Seems a bit high, 2 x 20w 4 or 8ohm should do the trick which you would find in car audio range

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Hey Jason

That's exactly what I thought - that 40w was too much. But here is a pic from a working cab. IMG_5254.JPG

Should the amp and speaker be the same wattage or the amp rated slightly higher?

That speaker is 40w max and the amp rating im assuming is max also. Dont get caught up in "max" numbers the mean nothing

realistically the amp will be putting about 8 RMS, so if i was you i would be looking for a speaker with around a 10w RMS but more importantly get speakers with a high sensitivity

that way the amp wont have work as hard to get the sound levels you want

Makes sense. I'll look around the 10w range and see what I can get. Does the frequency range matter that much on games like this? I figure the sound files probably aren't that great a quality anyway.

Not really you will find most 4s are around 60 to 20k hz. I wouldn't expect you would find any that go lower and dont worry about going to a 3 or 4 way speaker as there is not point in anything higher than 20k

just look at any cheap name brand speaker and you should be fine but i wound try to find something at least 89 db sensitivity

Not really you will find most 4s are around 60 to 20k hz. I wouldn't expect you would find any that go lower and dont worry about going to a 3 or 4 way speaker as there is not point in anything higher than 20k

just look at any cheap name brand speaker and you should be fine but i wound try to find something at least 89 db sensitivity

Mate, you almost sound like you know what your talking about.:p

My reliable and reputable supplier of arcade speakers has always been the local car wreckers.:o

Cheap, about $5 a speaker. Exactly what the aspiring tight arse is looking at paying or you are being ripped off.

Who ease would let you return it if it isn't any good?.;)

4 Ohm 10-20 watt is the standard car speaker size fitted in most cars.