Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

CHIP TESTER. Good to have a second opinion

taito

Question

gadget.png

I purchased this chip tester. $24.95 on ebay and initially wasn't that impressed. Sometimes it reports bad IC's as good. That can't be good I thought.... :o

But keeping this in mind it's been a good testing tool. For example. Sometimes a chip in circuit may fall under suspicion but as there's the chance that the chips that input/output to it could actually be the culprit. So it's good when you've just removed a chip because you think it's bad, and the gadget confirms it too.

You just want to be careful you don't get caught out by it reporting good on a bad IC. In this senario it's usually evendent as the faults are glitchy, not completely dead. But anyway if you're like me and sometimes cant let go of things because you think they might be good, this gadget is awesome! It's certainly taken some of the guess work out of repairing PCBs.

DEAD.. In the bin!!!!!!!!!!

For those who might want one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Function-IC-LED-Optocoupler-LM399-DIP-CHIP-TESTER-Model-Number-Detector/151765528456?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Thanks to @Kaizen for initially posting this device in a thread.

Oh and as there's no English instructions...

If you hold the tester as pictured above you put the chip as high as it will go with the notch end at the bottom, pointing down.

Oh hang on the seller had put up visual instructions. lol.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]139448[/ATTACH]

Edited by taito

10 answers to this question

I've had no issues with mine but bear in mind that there are some chips it either can't test or may give a slightly false reading.

i.e. a vintage 9316 (74161 not LS) will read as a 74163, from experience I know that the chip is good an it's just an anomaly with the tester. Good vintage 74107s will test bad even though they are good but good newer 74LS107 test fine.

There are some 74XX chips it can't test and they will comenup as ERR even though they are good.

if unsure and a variant I haven't tested before then I'll put a known working chip in first and conffirm before testing the suspect one.

Oh!! :o

Cheers man. That makes sense.

Actually.. I have been testing the 74XXX type and vinatage 93XX and have been getting "ERR" on all of them. lol.

I've had no issues with mine but bear in mind that there are some chips it either can't test or may give a slightly false reading.

i.e. a vintage 9316 (74161 not LS) will read as a 74163, from experience I know that the chip is good an it's just an anomaly with the tester. Good vintage 74107s will test bad even though they are good but good newer 74LS107 test fine.

There are some 74XX chips it can't test and they will comenup as ERR even though they are good.

if unsure and a variant I haven't tested before then I'll put a known working chip in first and conffirm before testing the suspect one.

Since we're on the topic of testers...

@SeaJay gave me this little tester a while back and its getting some good use. Caps and transistors mainly.

It's cool in that I don't have to use the diode function on my multi-meter anymore, just pop it in and press the button, nice! Tells me if transisters are good or not! Too Easy!!

Fixed a sound circuit after I found a 5uf cap which it measured at 300pf. Replace the cap and all good!!!

componet tester.jpg