Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Huge Galaga Nerd - Bartop Arcade Machine Wanted

Hi all, kiwi kid of the 80's here. I'm now in my mid 40's and busting to get back into some gaming and thought a bartop arcade machine running Retro Pi might be the solution for me. (need to keep it space friendly). Budget is around $1000. The way I see it I have 2 options.

1. buy a pre-built unit. Here in QLD I've been looking at ultracustomcabs.com.au and for $1000 the price is right, machines look great. Only issue is 6-7 weeks wait and they're asking for $600 deposit. I'm concerned that Id be giving a fair chunk of cash and no guarantee on delivery. The guys seem great but I've been burned with house renos so always wary of excessive deposits.

2. buy a flat pack unit, and fit it out with sanwa, 27 inch lcd, Raspberry Pi, speakers, vinyl wrap, art work etc. I'm reasonably handy and have custom built fibreglass subwoofer boxes in the past. Besides this would be a fun way to go and maybe a xmas project with the kids.

Any thoughts on the way to go and that ultracustom mob?

PS. fave games include Space Invaders, Gyruss, TRON, Moon Patrol, Scramble, Defender and of course Galaga :)

Cheers

Currently looking at a flat pack unit. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/robina/other-video-games-consoles/arcade-cabinet-flat-packs-diy-kits/1191095061 They're on Gold Coast so handy for me in BNE. Interestingly they have a 21inch monitor version or a 27 inch and nothing in between. Was really looking for a 24 inch to be more portable and wife freindly :)

Any other flat pack options greatly appreciated. Will be completed with RP 3 and im hoping for some complete retro graphics, maybe something unique. Galaga is my thing but it's not the most awe inspiring graphic on a cabinet.

Thanks everyone, I'll be picking up one of @wwf's cabinets I think but will be trying something a little different to others here in terms of screen.

This is all pretty exciting and wouldnt be surprised if its the 1st of many builds, especially when the kids of freinds the sort of things that are possible :D.

Funny how the retro gaming community is still strong, but 90% of people don't realise the noise I get when I get a message on my phone is the Galaga additional credit noise :)

What are thoughts on this screen for @wwf cabinet. Squeezing 22.5 inch, 1920x1200 16:10 into that small cabinet should look pretty cool. 501mm x 340mm to fit an internal screen size capacity of 500mm x 350mm

https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/office/T23d-10D18225WT0-22-5-inch-Monitor/p/61C3MAR6AU

Edited by relliksalta

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I finished my build and enjoying the fruits of labour now. Galaga and Gyruss are getting a good hammering.

I'm heading to Japan for a few weeks holiday in April and will be keen to check out some arcade goodness. Super Potato stores in Tokyo and Osaka appear on the must-do-list. Any other tips or requests for purchases in Japan :)

Here is a link. A few minor things to do like the speaker covers which just arrived today so will install later. Pretty happy overall.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1akLACRatqoP_8EUjEJ7OMpGsNGZ9Z4x_

Now added pic 18 with the final install of speaker covers from Amazon ($4 each). Added joystick extensions that added 1.5cm. Also replaced an earlier middle white button to a dual USB port for keyboard or USB gaming controllers.

Edited by relliksalta

Which pi image did you use? I’ve tried a few very good ones and a lot of not so nice ones. Looks like your setup has good bezels and some nice comic artwork. There’s a few images using that art at the moment with one that is quite standout for 128gb cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that looks pretty nice. Bought a bartop kit a few years ago - it's together and semi working, but I never got around to finishing it as nicely as yours.

By the way - what part of Qld are you in, and what are your top scores on Gyruss and Galaga?