Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mounting a split system A/c

Any one here mounted a Split system Air Conditioner in a tin shed gameroom? I'm considering putting a 3.3kw unit to be mounted 2.5mt up which puts it between the metal horizontal perlings. The only way I've come up with so far is to mount an 12 or 15mm MDF sheet between the top & middle perlings with a pine timber framework to stiffen it all up.

Any one done this.

here's what I did, There's coach screws in the top n bottom for the timbers.

Thanks Toads, Great minds think alike..:) Very similar to what I envisaged, only I'm not ready to close up the walls & ceiling yet. The power usage is not an issue as we produce way more surplus electricity than we use.

This is my solution, simple, intensely strong & leaves the area ready when I plaster it all up. Hopefully finished before the Friday heat. I still need to get some Aircon conduit for outside.

Awesome! Now we will be cool, while being cool in your awesome shed come March. :cool:

Well it's in, I just have to wait until next week for my Sparky's refrigeration mate to vacuum the pipes & leak test it. Then I have the gameroom cool in summer & warm in winter. :) By the way, this is an Aldi unit it's a 3.3kw inverter reverse cycle $699. About a 1/3 of the price of other brands out there, came with a 60 month (5 years) warranty too!

Well it's in, I just have to wait until next week for my Sparky's refrigeration mate to vacuum the pipes & leak test it. Then I have the gameroom cool in summer & warm in winter. :) By the way, this is an Aldi unit it's a 3.3kw inverter reverse cycle $699. About a 1/3 of the price of other brands out there, came with a 60 month (5 years) warranty too!

would a 3.3kw keep it cool on a hot day with out the insulation?

that would be a pretty big test for the unit I would imagine.

I couldn't imagine my 5kw Panasonic would be able to keep up in a tin shed with out insulation. It would have a heart attack lol

I saw aldi a few weeks ago they had 5kw systems for $800.

@jason1, the system has gone in mostly for the beer nights I have here to make it more enjoyable around the Bar & seating area Winter & Summer. Once the insulation & plaster walls go in it can only get better. $699 verses $5000. :)

yer when you get the walls in it will make a huge difference obviously, and yer probably good on a humid hot night

Did they have the 5kw unit at your store? 5kw for just over $800, crazy cheap, surely these aldi airconditioners would be a good shed airConditioner on a budget.

Yer I saw those AC units at Aldi not that we need one, we have two ACs in this house as is and they never get used. Our problem is the price of the power and that is what I found funny. The AC unit itself was only about twice the cost of our cost to run the thing.

Last quarter I dropped off the pool pump and that dropped our bill by $250 but it was still over $1000 and that is in a house with solar hotwater.

Yes I know you have solar but does your solar power the house when the state is running rolling blackouts?. I noticed one day last week Victoria was pulling nearly 10% of it's power from NSW and the irony is we in NSW were pulling about 8% or our power from QLD.

That day wasn't a hot day in NSW. I hate to think what will happen when all the states have a hot day.

I know you have solar but does your solar power the house when the state is running rolling blackouts?.

No, it doesn't Steve but we do have an electric start 5kw diesel generator that goes on when the grid goes down. it's wired to the house power network.

@Autosteve what did you do, pointed the bone at me. :blink: All power in the district is gone, restoration 18:30pm minimum. Luckily I'm in the cool house with the generator ticking away sweetly. The house Aircon is on, TV & computer all running well on fossil fuel..:laugh:

Luckily I fueled it up last week, should run for 24 hours before I'm out of diesel...:(

@Autosteve what did you do, pointed the bone at me. :blink: All power in the district is gone, restoration 18:30pm minimum. Luckily I'm in the cool house with the generator ticking away sweetly. The house Aircon is on, TV & computer all running well on fossil fuel..:laugh:

Luckily I fueled it up last week, should run for 24 hours before I'm out of diesel...:(

Mate I'd like to say wisdom but it is purely remembering history from when I was a kid here in NSW before the last of our power stations come on line in the 70's. Power shedding was the normal where about once a fortnight, it was your turn to have no power for several hours and the area was several adjoining suburbs. All of a sudden your power would come back on and another area was left in black.

Good investment that generator providing you store spare fuel for it. I'd be taking this as a warming for what is to come and have a couple of jerry cans of fuel for it for extended power outage periods.

Maybe also have a couple of truck batteries on chargers powered from your solar. You connect inverters to the batteries and at least if the power goes out on your farm, you still have light till you get the generator on or for those times when you don't need the full generator's power and just minimal lighting and a TV for example, you can run solely off the batteries. Been doing similar on my farm for 7 years now but we don't have mains at all, just solar, batteries and a generator.

Only time will tell if such measures are really needed but if we do end up with 50% renewables instead of the current 6-8%, I would say it may well be needed.