Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

How True Is This Becoming...

There are university graduates that go straight into paid work, progress in wage earnings and pay back their debt. There are also ones that go to uni for the wrong reasons (no real goal or avoiding employment) and end up unemployed and in debt.

Some people who do a trade are talented, earn good money, etc, but others are thoroughly hopeless and end up on the dole.

Then there are the others who leave high school and do no further education. Some of them go straight into paid work and others don't seem to get anywhere.

I don't think that you can reliably say what level of education will lead to success (financially or socially) as it also depends on the individual.

Steve does have a point as a tradie myself there is good money to be made if you do the over time as it's double bubble long live the eba

Don't know if steve makes a really good point, he is generalising massively

True there is money to be made as a "tradie" but at the cost of hard physical work, exposure to dangerous substances and more.

I can't knock being a tradie really as it has helped me immensely but there is a cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Also trades that were good for making a living 30years ago are now almost non existent so you have to choose wisely

Don't know if steve makes a really good point, he is generalising massively

True there is money to be made as a "tradie" but at the cost of hard physical work, exposure to dangerous substances and more.

I can't knock being a tradie really as it has helped me immensely but there is a cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Also trades that were good for making a living 30years ago are now almost non existent so you have to choose wisely

To tell the truth, a mate of mine in Canada sent it to me as this is a massive problem in Canada so he tells me.

I just found the irony of the one so educated with the attitude is the one who has no control of her destiny and wasn't looking at finding parallels to it here in Australia.

If we all think hard about this you will probably find it is different here in Australia.

Because we put such little effort into training tradesman these days as opposed to heavily subsidizing university education by taxpayers, you will probably find the guy up the pole would most likely be a 457 visa holder.

I know out of the close to 10 times we have had NBN workers here, only twice has the guy been an Australian.

One thing is for sure trades are in the decline I have seen a massive reduction in the number of trades jobs here in SA over the last 30 years due to the decline in manufacturing

Nobody really wants to get their hands dirty either

In another thirty years where are all the practical people going to be?

This may be where we are heading:lol

Nobody should be judging anyone else for the career they choose to follow. Saying someone is smarter than someone else just because of the job they have is a long bow to draw.

I have a degree but I don't see myself as any better than someone without one. Likewise, I don't think someone with a PhD is any better than me. I have met some real dumbasses with PhDs. And I've met some real dumbasses without degrees, too.

If you have to, judge the person because they're an idiot, and not on how qualified they are or how much money they make.

I couldn't get my job without a degree and it's a job I wanted to do, so here we are. Not everyone chooses their job just based on the money.

Turning this into a pissing contest about money is irrelevant, too. Doing so just creates more division in our society which we do not need.

How True Is This Becoming...

I love how this forum likes to constantly stereotype young people

I’d like to know why someone posting a meme that has been floating around the net somehow reflects the ideas of all AA members.

High horse riders are the worst.

Yep, I am willing to admit I did adopt a high horse approach. I did exactly what Steve's meme did, stereotyped, generalised and tarred people with the same brush. It was stupid and I was angry over a bullshit meme, which is foolish.

I apologise. I posted in anger and did not think about what I was saying. The opinions presented are of the poster alone and not all of AA.

Yep, I am willing to admit I did adopt a high horse approach. I did exactly what Steve's meme did, stereotyped, generalised and tarred people with the same brush. It was stupid and I was angry over a bullshit meme, which is foolish.

I apologise. I posted in anger and did not think about what I was saying. The opinions presented are of the poster alone and not all of AA.

Legendary response mate. Easy to get caught up when something pisses us off. Known to do that myself haha

Geez I just want my kids to try, enjoy themselves and love what they do. One wants to be an engineer, another a coach and professional referee and the third a chef or a princess, she's a bit undecided.

There's already too many princesses around:lol

True there is money to be made as a "tradie" but at the cost of hard physical work

I'd hardly describe that as a cost. I find physical work a hell of a lot more interesting than sitting on my arse entering numbers into spreadsheets while wearing a suit like I did at my "degree job".

I'd hardly describe that as a cost. I find physical work a hell of a lot more interesting than sitting on my arse entering numbers into spreadsheets while wearing a suit like I did at my "degree job".

I've done desk/phone and everything in between to ship's bilges. Give me physical work any day. But, if there's better camaraderie to be had in the office then I'll take that!

Edited by Mick80

So for those that have children attending or completing high school , have you ever asked them what they plan on doing for a career, or do you tell them they don't have a choice and you should choose for them? Guidance is important but that's not the question here.

From some of the responses given it sounds like further education is not important nor warranted unless your a" doctor or the like" whatever that's suppose to mean. As for a trade great if a person can get one, if the jobs aren't being replaced with 457 Visa employee's and privatisation has created a huge void for apprenticeships. As for adult apprenticeships, don't like the idea of a financially established adult leaving a job in order to take that off a young person and miss out on a potential career.

- - - Updated - - -

All I know is what I experience everday

car load of tradies comes into my shop, they are loud and joking, but each will spend $12-$17 each for morning tea

a pair of suits come in, a bit stiff, might spend $7 each while saying 'I really shouldn't'

Just appreciate the business or put a sign up "minimum spend $12 Tradies Only, No Suits"

- - - Updated - - -

I went to University for 4 years to get a degree in video production. Quite hard at the beginning to get work, so had to move away from Newcastle to Sydney. Got work in a bunch of different areas and got enough experience that I could move wherever I wanted to get work. I would have loved to have learnt a trade as i'm pretty useless on the tools.

Looking back I dont think University was the best way to get in to video production. My boss at my first job got experience as a production assistant and worked his way up learning on the job. Doing his apprenticeship if you will. Ive got a niece and nephew who have just finished year 12 and they don't know what they want to do. There seemed to be a bit of pressure for me to continue in higher education after finishing year 12 because nobody told me otherwise. I guess I didnt realise what my options were when I finished school.

My nephew would love to be a sports journalist but told me that he wont do it because "there are not many jobs out there for sports journalists and the pay isn't very good" He has enrolled in a business course at University and hates it. I think it would be better doing something you love doing and work hard enough to get a job doing that rather than a job that is boring but good job prospects

I went to UNI several times. Music. Computer Sci. Then back to music! lol. I love working with my hands and seriously targeted trade work for over 3 years. I loved working outside, on roofs, driving places. I was hard working and wasn't half bad at the jobs. I studied hard and was among the tops in the TAFE courses. I was dedicated. In the end I gave up as I couldn't get an apprenticeship. Too old! This field is very very competitive. I enjoyed reading the comments. Personally I found the work easy enough, physically challenging, and sometimes you really have to use your noggin, but there's so much more to being a trades person. Most have to run their own business. Those who do, know this is not a cake walk. Memes like the original post suggest all you have to do is decide, one way or another, but there's a stack of variables. I found out through experience, deciding doesn't make you a tradie.

I have a cert I and IV in electrotechnology. Renewables. It's not as if I don't know how electricity works. At times I found the TAFE teachers frustrating as hell. Too many people just doing their jobs, or just for the money in Australia. Not for pride it seams anymore.

This is just my 2 cents. lol. I think this has been a good thread and couldn't help wade in. :)

The ironic thing is that it's the university-educated lawyers and insurers who created the regulations requiring a dozen different qualifications before you're allowed to change a lightbulb. This is why the tradesmen who are qualified can charge so much.