Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

isolation transformer

jaredjames

Question

Hi im putting a new arcade monitor in a machine the monitor needs an isolation transformer

i have an old one but not sure what wires go where i know the 2 red wires went to the monitor and

the black ones from the ac does it matter what way around i put the wires?

IMG_20181125_184146.jpg

4 answers to this question

In general cases the neutral might be switched differently or not switched at all, or might be connected to earth, or doing other things different. If there's only one pole switching, it has to be the active, otherwise throwing the switch leaves whatever circuit live.

I'm not 100% on arcade monitor power circuits as i haven't played around with that many, but I would guess that if neither pole of the input and neither pole of the output of that transformer is connected to ground, and if the chassis has a plug that can slip on either way around without difficultly, then it's likely that the poles can be reversed without a problem. Just make sure that any switch prior to the input isolates the active line or both lines, not just the neutral.

Please be aware that that's only a guess. If you're not 100%, wait to see if anyone else wants to answer, or get help from a pro :)

EDIT: Yes, it probably is a stepdown. Make sure you get the input and output sides the right away around! You could try feeding it 12V or something first, and putting a low-voltage globe and a meter on the outout.

• Super Moderator

No it doesnt matter which way the wires go as long as the red ones run to the monitor and the other side to AC(active brown,neutral light blue)

You can run an earth lead (green)to the mounting tab of your transformer