Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Safe Removal Of Touchscreen From CRT.

I've got a Midway Touchmaster 7000 but the Wells Gardener CRT EHT is dead.

It went to Jomac and that EHT is no longer available....GRRRRR...so I need to remove the 3M touchscreen and it's driver module safely so I can reuse it on another replacement monitor.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it safely from the tube surface?.

We used to just pull them off but this often damaged them in which case we would just put on a "then" $860 new replacement touchscreen.

Problem is I don't have a spare God knows how much they are now if they are even available touchscreen.

Whoa, almost a question I asked yesterday. I have an as yet unknown inch 29inch crt with a 3m touchpanel over the top. Had a quick gander but it doesn't look pretty.

Yer some are pretty easy to just peel off but not the 3M brand. They stick extremely good and if it gets stretched removing it you can end up with dead sectors.

Something I'm out to avoid.

Not real sure I could replace it with another brand of touchscreen either as the drivers are in the Midway software and these machines were made 5 years before touchscreens were a commercial product even though it is a USB adapted device.

If I did remove it, it would go in the bin. I'm just not sure whether to leave it as is, possibly for someone who desires such a thing. If I could find another 29inch tube I'd probably leave it as is.

If you peel off the edge tape, can you feel how soft the bonding is that holds the touch glass to the tube.

Many moons ago, I used to remove 3M touch screens from Ceronix tubes, which were held on with a type of silicon. Would get the tube nice and hot in the sun, or a heater and use some piano wire or a metal guitar string and saw away from all sides. There was a couple of mil gap between the glass and tube. Not sure how much you have.

Tougher to do on a curved tube, as you don’t want to put cosmetic scratches on the inside of the touch glass.

If you do manage to get it off, we never used to bond them back on, just heaps of good quality 3M tape holding them in place ;)