Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Help with Mame Machine please

Hi All,

Please bare with here and I am usually over in the pinball section and admit to my absolute lack of knowledge when it comes to Mame. A couple of years ago i decided to buy a stand up Mame machine i saw advertised built here in Brisbane. I have not really played it too much and have not been able to for a while now because it wont work properly.

When I boot it up the computer tells me that the hard drive is full. I have never added anything to the computer so not sure how it would have filled it up but no matter what I do I cant clear up space. My amateur guess would be that since I had it connected to WiFi it might have automatically downloaded some windows updates which filled up the hard drive. I can get into the Mame emulator and start up the games but the mapping for the joy stick and buttons wont work at all. I can change the mapping in the game but it does not save it so it needs to be done every time which is a pain.

Where I purchased it from said they can fix it for me and now they make machines are much better. They can put a new computer in and run hyperspin which sounds great but at a cost of just under $1000 after already spending quite a bit in the first place to buy the machine I cant justify the money.

I do have spare hard drives lying around I could use but I really don't know what to do. At the moment its a just a cool looking expensive ornament but I have someone who wants to buy it from me but I wont give it to them until it runs properly. I am happy to pay to get this fixed and up and running but hoping it could be done for a lot cheaper than 1000 bucks. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated or if anyone in Brisbane can assist i am happy to pay for the help.

Thanks

First get windirstat and run it on the machine mb - it's a very small program, so you won't have to delete much. It will show you where the space is going in nice pretty pictures with colour groups for file types and locations.

EDIT: actually, before that run disk cleanup from the start menu and clear as much space as you can. Then defrag, if it's not an SSD. Then get windirstat.

For the controls issue, make sure the mame.ini points to the /cfg folder and that the /cfg folder and probably your whole MAME directory is not set to read-only. And make sure you configure global controls first, not inputs per machine/game. I dunno, that's all i can think of.

• Administrators

These all sound like pretty easy fixes imo.

As has already been suggested try windirstat to find out space issues.

It would also help if we had an idea of what the specs of the PC were. Windows Version, HDD size etc. The config issue sounds like it "might" be a permissions thing with Windows but it could be others as well. I mean what control interface is it using? As Buttersoft suggested, they could also be issues but only if you accidentally "borked" it or the guy who set it up didn't know what he's doing.

Gem's suggestion of resetting the ribbon cable would be an option IF the OS wasn't loading or you were getting BIOS errors etc but this is not the case.

Brad

First get windirstat and run it on the machine mb - it's a very small program, so you won't have to delete much. It will show you where the space is going in nice pretty pictures with colour groups for file types and locations.

EDIT: actually, before that run disk cleanup from the start menu and clear as much space as you can. Then defrag, if it's not an SSD. Then get windirstat.

For the controls issue, make sure the mame.ini points to the /cfg folder and that the /cfg folder and probably your whole MAME directory is not set to read-only. And make sure you configure global controls first, not inputs per machine/game. I dunno, that's all i can think of.

Thanks for that, I have done the disk clean up and it tell me it can free up x amount of space but it never actually does it. From memory it just locks up, I will have a look at these things tonight! Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

These all sound like pretty easy fixes imo.

As has already been suggested try windirstat to find out space issues.

It would also help if we had an idea of what the specs of the PC were. Windows Version, HDD size etc. The config issue sounds like it "might" be a permissions thing with Windows but it could be others as well. I mean what control interface is it using? As Buttersoft suggested, they could also be issues but only if you accidentally "borked" it or the guy who set it up didn't know what he's doing.

Gem's suggestion of resetting the ribbon cable would be an option IF the OS wasn't loading or you were getting BIOS errors etc but this is not the case.

Brad

Thanks I will look get that information tonight when I get home. It all worked fine for the first 6 months, someone was playing it and then afterwards the problem of the controls started. They swear they didn't change anything or even get out of the emulator but it never worked the same again. I recall the hard drive is small but cant remember the exact size.

I have to say thanks for the help guys!! I really appreciate it and the problem is solved. I have no idea how or why but the file was set to read only, no idea how it changed itself but once I changed it and changed the settings they save and all is good.

If it helps anyone in the future what happened with my full hard drive space was there 3.7GB in disk cleanup and when I selected it to clean up it would run through and stop but not remove the files so the space would not free up. I turned off hibernation using the CMD prompt and then it worked so now there is 4GB free. Not much but hopefully enough to keep me out of trouble.

Thanks again!!!