Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LAI 12v capacitor

mrjamma

Question

Hey guys

Does anyone have an LAI 26" cab that they could check something on for me with a multimeter.

These cabs seem to have an extra power supply source for the coin mech/lighting systems (likely not to put too much load on the normal PSU's 12v), but I have a specific query related to the Arlec 'capacitor' style system. Ill put a photo up later of one.

Im testing one here which starts off as an Arlec transformer which connects to your 240v dist, then two wires output from it out to a terminal block and the terminal block connects up to a capacitor cylinder, and then finally from that cylinder comes out an orange/black wire for 12v

Long and short, I tested the orange and black wires coming from that capacitor, however it seems to be around 17v, rather than 12v.

The arlec transformer has many different options for output i.e. 24v 30v 12v etc, and I can definitely see the wires coming out of the transformer are connected to 12v pins, then those wires mate up to the capacitor.. then the capacitor has its own output wires for the lighting/coin mech.

Is it normal behaviour for this capacitor to output so high at around 17 volts?

9 answers to this question

Might want to put a load on it like a 12volt light bulb and then do a voltage check?....;)

The 12volt was also high on these machines and as a result went through the coin mech light bulbs pretty quickly. Wouldn't hurt to put a regulator in the circuit or even a couple of diodes to drop the high voltage. Each diode you run the power through will drop another .6 of a volt.

Example....3 diodes in series will drop the voltage by 1.8volts.

Just for some info on the LAI 12v capacitor. LAI also used on TMNT a black box that look like a car battery charger.

The 12v rail on my cab was later wired in to the PSU 12v rail.as the Black Box stop working.

Both of my cabs had the Black box for 12v. Never seen a 12v capacitor untill I look at Pat's TMNT.

Is that the static sensor box you guys are talking about?. It has a long wire not connected to anything coming out of it?.

No it's the extra power supply 240v to 13.4v for the coin slot light and player credit buttons lights.

I forget maybe the credit diplay too?

20181120_015352.jpg

Yep thats the same one in my personal cab as well. I reckon they look pretty cool. Like you said, looks like a big car charger in an arcade cab :D

Different to the capacitor style (and both Arlec branded), but same outcome at the end of the day

It runs the following components via that 12v output

- Coin Mech

- Face plate globe

- Credit button globes x4

The 2 digit credit display only uses 5v from standard PSU

For a home environment, Im wondering if you couldnt just run all that gear of the arcade PSU's 12v instead of adding that whole extra setup

Been some time I look at mine, Say its the same Coin Mech

- Face plate globe - Credit button globes x4.

I don't know why thay used the second power supply just for the lights and mech.

Like I said the black box was not working in my TMNT and is just wired in the main PSU 12V.

Edited by madal