Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Re-blue ramp and gate flaps

pinball god

Question

While doing my Theatre of Magic resto I thought I'd try something I've never attempted and re-blue some tired ramp flaps and one way gate flaps. So here is my effort at doing the gate flaps.

The process is degrease, remove rust and blue, degrease, apply blue.

Before purchasing the product I sanded these gates which I now find was not necessary.

Anyway they turned out well although not blue enough for me but they do look good in person.

Pictures include before, and a shot from each process.

1655297954_blue4.thumb.jpg.072a1fda3580ebc483cec7dc7b3940f3.jpg

1696351986_removerustampblue2.thumb.jpg.aa1909d19deec06cd01ed38d6eaab705.jpg

Degrease.thumb.jpg.f50ac89c7a07eeb37fab4525344e7658.jpg

Before.thumb.jpg.2db4ccc88fe58b7abc0d29cb238f7fdc.jpg

6 answers to this question

The process is degrease, remove rust and blue, degrease, apply blue.

Sounds harder than the proper process.....

Heat with blow torch till metal just goes a brown, straw colour from the heat, not to hot till red..(will remove rust and crap)

While still straw colour from heat drop in oil engine...

Heating up the metal plate will turn the metal back into mild steel and dropping it in the oil re-hardens and blues the metal.

Leave it in the oil till it cools and when you pull it out it should be perfectly blued...The proper way.

Sounds harder than the proper process.....

Heat with blow torch till metal just goes a brown, straw colour from the heat, not to hot till red..(will remove rust and crap)

While still straw colour from heat drop in oil engine...

Heating up the metal plate will turn the metal back into mild steel and dropping it in the oil re-hardens and blues the metal.

Leave it in the oil till it cools and when you pull it out it should be perfectly blued...The proper way.

yep that will work if bluing a flap still attached to a plastic ramp lol Also will need to purchase a blow torch to do 3 flaps, engine oil well that's easy. A bit like buying a $150k cnc machining centre to make a couple of slingshot plastics and screen printing equipment to make sure the job is done properly

It also needs to be Tempered at controlled temperature rates after going through the heat treatment hardening, to prevent your flaps from cracking. Makes the "right way" even more longwinded... just saying lol

Also the number of times this process can be repeated is limited.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a thread on ramp flap alternatives...

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/93953-Metal-Used-On-Ramps?highlight=flaps

You can also use the 302 SS of thicker stock to reproduce these types of gates in SS.

It also needs to be Tempered at controlled temperature rates after going through the heat treatment hardening, to prevent your flaps from cracking. Makes the "right way" even more longwinded... just saying lol

Also the number of times this process can be repeated is limited.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a thread on ramp flap alternatives...

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/93953-Metal-Used-On-Ramps?highlight=flaps

You can also use the 302 SS of thicker stock to reproduce these types of gates in SS.

Yes all good, I'm sure he meant well. People sometimes forgot the right way may not be cost effective or even an option if living in the city and space may be a problem. I don't have the space for all the equipment I'd like. Really wish I had a big compressor to do cabinet work but to buy one and do one or maybe two makes the $$$$ investment not worth while.