Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Stern spiderman playfield damage

Hi, I recently picked up a stern spiderman and it has a little damage around bumpers at the top of the playfield.

Id like to try and restore it (without a full playfield restoration or replacement) and stop the damage from getting worse. Detail can be seen in the picture.

4AE76D21-B7BE-434A-9BAC-042ED08A986D.thumb.jpg.dbf2d15d7a0414398c7d1b8b60f73d61.jpg

There is a bit of mylar around the area so I was thinking of removing the mylar repairing with some paint and putting a playfield protector on.

I’ve never done this before so keen on everyone’s thoughts or if this is a bad idea and there is another way to deal with it.

Thanks!

Is it just the red section you want to repair? If so, that's not covered by Mylar. So you could potentially leave the Mylar on if you want. A playfield protector should cover that area though. So you're on the right track.

Yes it’s just the red part really. It goes right to the edge of the mylar so could probably do that. There is a black line between the red and the blue and in one part goes a little underneath.

Any good tips on prep, paint, technique, colour matching etc?

Ok so this is bugging me more than I would like... I’m a bit of a perfectionist...

This machine has clearly had a lot of games played through it. It plays great, no problems but there are things I’d just like to make nice.

I’ve read a few restoration threads and I love the result. I’d love to make it like new again or close but that’s probably going to cost a small fortune?

I’m completely new to this hobby. Is it worth working on this machine or should I try to find a better condition example?

Do these stern spiderman machines come up in really good condition very often?

I can few myself getting sucked into the vortex!

Being completely new to the hobby IMO i would just enjoy the machine, keep it for some time and decide whether you want to hang on to it or maybe sell it for something else

The wear you have shown does not take anything away from the games artwork and is in an area that you probably wont even notice during play, this may also be a common wear spot on this particular machine

Being a perfectionist myself this hobby can really make you overthink things in terms or playfield wear and so on, but its pinball and you will learn this is all a part of it, as the machines are meant to be played and enjoyed. I wouldn't sell your machine and look for another just because of some wear between the pop bumpers, if it was in the center of the playfield different story

You are always going to find a better example no matter what game you own, I have owned a few machines in the past which i thought were pretty mint, then someone lists theirs for sale, or someone uploads photos of theirs be it on here or pinside and it literally blows you away. Its inevitable really

Welcome to the hobby regardless and enjoy your machine :welcome:

Good advice and thank you. Yes definitely enjoying it a lot and so are the kids! I just have this need to fix things I can’t stop :D

I have ordered some parts for little bits and pieces that have worn. Will keep playing it before I decide to do anything major just interested and doing lots of research. Something I normally do before I dive in!

Yes better examples do come up as i recently purchased one. But it also depends on price too. If you paid a bargain price then what are you expecting. I probably paid too much for mine but no wear, perfect cabinet etc. It's all relative.

Perfection and pinball imo are enemies. Wanting to keep your Mercedes in perfect condition bit have to drive on a dirt road to work all day at 100kms/hr, good luck.

My advice is the same play it a fair bit to just see if it's a keeper. Buy plastic protectors, cliffy protectors now because you'll suicide if a plastic breaks etc if you're that kind of guy.

The funny thing is I realise flinging a heavy metal ball around is going to cause damage! I’m ok with that and I can do some repairs. It won’t kill me that sort of thing.

I think I’m just getting used to it. It’s a lot of coin for a toy! :D

I’ve ordered Cliffy’s as well.

Thanks for everyone’s input