Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Aussie Arcade MAME challenge Round 1 rules and nominations

Aussie Arcade MAME challenge Round 1 rules and nominations

Nominations are open from now until Thursday the 12th (a short nomination for the first round)

2 games will be picked by popularity 1 from 1985 and older and 1 pre 1985

Please post nominations below

Round 1 playing will start At 8am Friday the 13 and end 8pm Sunday the 29nd

RULES

This is a casual set of competitions and is purely for FUN and not to be taken too seriously

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Selection:

Games will be selected from nominations from you guys/girls in a dedicated thread.

At this stage any era is ok but nothing that cant be run on a billy basic computer.

Nominations for the next pair of games will run at the same time as scores are being taken for the current games.

The aim is to avoid the main stay games like Galaga and Donkey Kong and play more obscure and odd games.

Games with special controls EG Steering Wheels, Guns and Track Balls are ok BUT only if they can be played with a joystick

When a game is posted I will post the ROM name and that is the version we all play.

Layout:

2 Games will be selected buy public nominations, 1 pre 1985 and 1 from 1985 onward, both games will run simultaneously

Games will be posted on a Thursday night and scores will be accepted from 8am the next morning

the games will then run for 17 days with score submissions finishing at 8pm Sunday night.

I will aim to have the Final scores and placings posted by Monday evening.

Don't worry, instructions on when games start and finish will be clearly posted with dates.

What can I Play On:

At this point any version of MAME and mutiboards so long as the dips are set to the MAME default

"Entering":

Everyone is welcome to play (except Steve...hes a dick and knows what he did) but if you plan on

submitting a score please send me a PM with your user name, real name and High score Initials you

use just so I can make a database.

(This Information will all be kept private and only used for blackmail purposes)

Submitting a Score:

To submit a score you need to post a photo or screenshot showing your score, with the first line of the post being the score.

Feel free to add a description of the setup you are using to if you like.

Start a new post for each score you want to submit, do not edit older posts as I will not notice and that score wont be counted.

This is a purely honesty based system so please respect the intent of these competitions.

Submitting a score can be done from 8am Friday (the first day of the game) until 8pm Sunday (17 ish days of play).

Please only submit scores you have gotten in the time period the games where running.

Other Stuff:

All games are to be played on MAME default setting

No saves or cheats.

No Points leaching tactics

No Pausing or continues (1 credit only per game).

if you need a Rom PM me and we can sort you out.

Any Questions just ask, at the end of the day this is intended only to be a bit of fun, Please play to the intent of the rules not to the letter of them.

Please don't take it too seriously...I'm not

last but not least everything is subject to change at a whim.

Edited by loki4101
Put in wrong dates

I like this bit

"Please play to the intent of the rules not to the letter of them."

So next month when dry July is over I can have a cider while playing as I like to do and when I need a quick piss I can pause the game as long as it's not giving me an advantage by doing so? Not that I can think of any games where it would.

Anyway that should qualify as in the spirit IMHO :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Is robotron odd enough?

Robotron should be fine but I will have to make sure its playable on a std setup.

Is there a nomination thread, also how many nominations do we put forward?

This is the nomination thread for round one. I dont see any reason that you cant nominate more than 1 game.

I like this bit

"Please play to the intent of the rules not to the letter of them."

So next month when dry July is over I can have a cider while playing as I like to do and when I need a quick piss I can pause the game as long as it's not giving me an advantage by doing so? Not that I can think of any games where it would.

Anyway that should qualify as in the spirit IMHO :)

Ummm yeah I think you might be thinking of the wrong type of "spirit" :p

I will be asking a pair of other players to help out with desisions so that way anything that need to be decided or "ruled" on can be done by a vote and not just me flipping a coin.

Robotron should be fine but I will have to make sure its playable on a std setup.

Needs 2 joysticks and a start button.

Chicken Shift and Captain Tomaday would be another pair of odd games often inflicted on visitors here...

Needs 2 joysticks and a start button.

Chicken Shift and Captain Tomaday would be another pair of odd games often inflicted on visitors here...

I will check it out, The games will still need to me playable on a standard controller setup but I remember playing smash tv on a standard setup so ill look into how it plays.

I haven't heard of Chicken Shift and Captain Tomaday. Ill look into them later today

What's a standard setup? Jamma provides 2 joysticks, 3 buttons each so robotron is fine, or is something else considered standard?

Very good point, for some reason I didnt even think of the player 2 joystick

that being the case I dont see any reason not to play it

- - - Updated - - -

I should point of something I don't think I made very clear.

So far Robotron, Chicken Shift and Captain Tomaday have been nominated so you guy/girls now can vote/second one of them and/or nominate other games.

Hope that make sense

@Jed are you putting in a vote for Chicken Shift?

Battlezone is a great game

I think pausing can be left up to the players for things like a toilet stop but please remember "Please play to the intent of the rules not to the letter of them." so no pausing for 4 hours and coming back after a nap

@Jed are you putting in a vote for Chicken Shift?

Battlezone is a great game

I think pausing can be left up to the players for things like a toilet stop but please remember "Please play to the intent of the rules not to the letter of them." so no pausing for 4 hours and coming back after a nap

I might see when all the nominations finish and cast some votes near the end. Still haven't got a PC active in my house yet after an interstate move this week.

Is there an end date for the nominations?

Here's a couple Namco shooters which I'll throw into the mix to up my post '85 noms:

Xevious 3D/G

Starblade

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Still haven't got a PC active in my house yet after an interstate move this week.

Is there an end date for the nominations?

Mines installing as we speak :)

Nominations are open from now until Thursday the 12th 5pm (a short nomination for the first round just to get things started)

robotron for the win and cruising USA I would also like to see us being able to play 2 player on some of these games and be able to submit a 2 player score together

For now Im just trying to get this off the ground with out it crashing and Burning but later on 2 player might be something we can look into, shoot me a PM as to how you see it working

Just realized I had the wrong dates

Round 1 playing will start At 8am Friday the 13 and end 8pm Sunday the 29nd

We still need some votes for 85+

Can you put up a summary of what's been nominated so far, that will make it easier for people to vote.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Can you put up a summary of what's been nominated so far, that will make it easier for people to vote.

Good call

So far its looking like this

Nominations / Votes

Pre 85

82 Robotron / III

84 Chicken Shift

81 Pleiads

84 Bullfight

80 Battlezone

81 Turbo

84 Karate Champ

85+

99 Captain Tomaday

93 Tinkle Pit

85 Repulse / I

93 Ninja Baseball Batman

92 Lethal Enforcers

95 Xevious 3D/G

91 Starblade

Edited by loki4101

• 2 weeks later...

Question? I might have missed this somewhere but is this comp going to be a series or individual challenges? Personally I like the idea of just having individual challenges, no total tally points score boards to add up and no reason to grind at games you don't like. Makes it easier and more casual for the players and for loki4101. It would give this comp more differentiation to the established MGL and might see more casual crossover, most of those who are dedicated to MGL are probably not going to want to join in another series of games but might play the occasional one off game for fun.

Also would make it easier to share about the running of the comps as all is needed is to go through one thread and pick first second and third scores for the two games and that's it finished, move onto the next games.

I would support games lasting a month if that was proven to be popular.