Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Clearing EPROMs in the Sun

taito

I purchased an UV EPROM ERACER, but postage is normally 2-3 weeks and I can't wait that long!

So I've been experimenting with putting them out in the sun. I have a few different makers.

ST

Fujitsu

Mitsubishi

On a completely clear day, Sunny, the ST's wiped in about 2-4 hours. This was pritty cool I thought.

The Fujitsu have been somewhat impervious to the suns UV rays. lol. Hardly any change to the bits at all. :0

The Mitsubishi's are clearing slowly. This week has been cloudy so not much change on those days.

We're headed for a sunny weekend so I'm hoping that will wipe at least the Mitsubishi as the ST's are the wrong size. Sigh.

Fun in the sun! :cool:

Ha... yeah, can't wait till mine arrives. Was sure today's sun was going to sort them out but nuh! Still showing unset bits. There's clear skys a commin, so a couple more attempts, then just throw them on the roof for a week. And if not done then... :realmad: Nah, this is just foolin about. not serious :lol

I tried clearing some ST EPROMs in the sun but had no luck. Finally caved and bought an eraser and it was totally worth it. They are blank within a few minutes.

So I had a quick look at a few of the EPROMS I had in the sun for a few days.

Senario one. User error! NOT GOOD

124334520_notwanttosee.thumb.jpg.bdfc746a5a09d2709a0aeebc97cc63b6.jpg

I previously set the wrong voltage level on this one and the programmer wigged out. So I think I destroyed the first few rows of cells. Doh! I don't thinks she's coming back to life.

Senario 2. Ideal. Good so far.

1147175515_wanttosee.thumb.jpg.d146574f6ff3b45dc37090716e31fa12.jpg

In this example all the bits are climbing relative to each other so I think this one will be good. One or two more days in the sun and quite possibly I'll have a winner. Fingers crossed.

Senario 3. Bit of a concern.

1565559206_bitofaconcern.thumb.jpg.c319456206af90288d0e6c468205f494.jpg

In this example most of the cells are almost there, but a few remain completely unchanged. "00" shows all the bits are still clear so I'll possibly have to wait for the burner and go hard and hope the cells reset. Other wise it's bin time, rubbish bin, not binary that is. :)

And you might ask, Why bother? Getting some good vitamin D.

Just a follow up.....

Hey it worked!! I got a Fujitsu 2764 completely wiped today in todays clear/sunny day. Passed the wiped test and I programmed it soon after I let it cool down. I have others that are just a byte away from being cleared too.

So.. pretty much all day in the sun did the trick, plus I'm guess the previous days also. But the quite obviously thing is...the clearer the days the better. I'm guessing I wont be doing this again, but was fun to try.

I forgot to mention, previously I saw a hack online using an UV LED. I tried a UV LED from Jaycar. Didn't work.

Following day...

UV index 10 today. Got another Fujitsu wiped and programmed. Mitsuitshi's are taking their sweet time. :)

Edited by taito

Just a follow up.....

Hey it worked!! I got a Fujitsu 2764 completely wiped today in todays clear/sunny day. Passed the wiped test and I programmed it soon after I let it cool down. I have others that are just a byte away from being cleared too.

So.. pretty much all day in the sun did the trick, plus I'm guess the previous days also. But the quite obviously thing is...the clearer the days the better. I'm guessing I wont be doing this again, but was fun to try.

I forgot to mention, previously I saw a hack online using an UV LED. I tried a UV LED from Jaycar. Didn't work.

UV LEDs are not true UV... You must get the grow light LEDs. They are true UV light for growing purposes like hydro setups.:blink:

UV LEDs are not true UV... You must get the grow light LEDs. They are true UV light for growing purposes like hydro setups.:blink:

All depends on which spectrum UV you're chasing. UVA is non harmful to us and plants, UVB is the spectrum that starts to get serious. It's the one that burns us and some vegetation doesn't like it at all. UVC is off the charts and is mainly used today in medical applications to kill germs and to sterilise equipment.

You can buy a 30 watt UVB tube from reptile stores for about 35 bucks but be very careful as they will damage eyes with direct exposure and will take the colour out of tattoo's real quick not to mention sunburn. Would imagine they would do the trick for you just fine.