Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dead TMNT credit board

mrjamma

Question

Hey guys

A couple of pics below of a friends dead tmnt credit board.

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on why this tmnt credit PCB has some wires underneath? Do you see noticeable trace damage which would require these as link wires for those specific areas?

Or was this for purpose of a repair or to convert it to be used as a credit board for another game?

Also when compared to other pics of these boards, looks like an extra diode on top too?

I can see a bad transistor too.

I know MK4 is a workaround, just seems like a shame to have to bin an original tmnt sunrise one.

BAD:

Bad 1.jpg

GOOD - youll see one of the pics has a different design (being 1990 compared to 1989)

Good 1.jpg

Edit: The good board with different design, photo of underneath:

20181114_183605.jpg

Edited by mrjamma

Ok.

Replaced it with the correct mpsa13 and still wont make coin counter change digits with coins, nor does it light up the 2 digit display. All other functions work. Replaced the big capacitor too just because i had a spare of same value.

The rear of pcb matches identical to the other pics on here i.e. jump wires and cut traces (guessing sunrise used to convert standard credit boards before making a dedicated tmnt credit board like the 1990 version one with different pcb layout)

Beats me

Ill just stash it for spares considering my current 1990 one in the cab works anyway. Cheers

Hey Al,

I looked at that component and must admit it looks tired. Not sure how to test them though I could always buy another component and solder it on and see how it goes, though when I look at the circuit diagram, it appears that component controls credit lamps only?

This faulty board does light up when money comes in and lamps go out once credits are all deducted, so I wouldnt think it would be at fault.

Having a look at my two areas of fault on this spare TMNT credit board, the MPSA13 would control the coin meter it seems. On first arrival, this transistor was all cracked and broken before I first replaced it (that is - replaced firstly with the wrong 2n4401 as I didnt have the diagram at that stage and the existing one was cracked to pieces), and once I replaced with correct MPSA13 it still did not allow coin meter to tick over. Im wondering if this credit board may have once received a huge voltage spike which killed the first transistor to begin with *shrug*

Looking at my second issue which is the inability for the credit board to provide 2 digit display, the diagram shows that the main ROM chip Pin 14 gives display clock and links up to Pin 15 on the edge connector, and Pin 15 on the ROM gives display data and links up to Pin 14 on the edge connector.

Looking at the PCB itself, it matches this diagram. Those two pins from the rom chip have traces which go directly from those pins, directly to the edge connector - no componentry inbetween. Testing for continuity on this board from the ROM chips pins to the edge connector also comes up okay, so no broken tracks

I think what @Jomac said in his previous post is the likely culprit - the chip itself is probably faulty in some aspect, as this credit board should at least be showing a '0' up on the 2 digit credit display if those two outputs connect to the edge connector (and I know the wiring, coin meter and 2 digit credit display in the cabinet are all perfect, as my other TMNT credit board allows everything to work 100%).

I think this board will just need to be kept as component spares. As Joey indicated, another chip cant be written anyway as it was security protected by Sunrise.

I can only assume I havent misunderstood the diagram

Cheers

EDIT: p.s. Nigel at sunrise no longer sells replacement rom chips, nor even has the data file to program a blank chip. Once these credit boards die , basically need to move to an MK4.

tmntcred.jpg

Edited by mrjamma