Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Electric Mountain Bike

Several years ago when these first appeared I said no way would I ever own one of these . But times have change and with bad knees I am seriously starting to consider getting of these bikes . I was at the bike shop picking up parts and gear for my son today and was so close to ordering one.

Has anyone out there have one and are you happy with it. Im considering the Merida EONE-SIXTY 900E . My son who spends a lot of time overseas said he cannot believe the amount of E-Bikes in the European shop with most shops now carrying more E-Bikes than normal pedalled bikes.

For those who do not know these bikes are pedal assisted if you don't pedal they do not go .Battery powered and limited to about 28kms/hour in Aus. The biggest advantage is the uphill parts of the ride

I would look into getting new knees instead personally, but yeah if that's the way you want to go then just get an eBike and enjoy it, bad knees is a fair enough excuse. I have a mate who is a very experienced MTBer and he enjoys his, same bike as what you are considering I think.

I think eBikes are great for the city if they replace car use for people and they are great for the trails for people with disabilities who could not do it otherwise. But seeing fatties being lazy on them makes me sad, I'm glad I have only seen a couple around Derby so far and none on my local trails.

I like to to jumps and bunny hops on my MTB and am always jumping onto logs and rocks etc......I would hate riding an eBike as you can't do that on a 26kg bike, but one day my knees might give out also so I would not say never.

They are holding up well so far though fingers crossed (they do make a fair creaking sound but I have had them scanned and they are OK) a couple of months ago I did an Everesting on my old 14yr old hardtail to mark my 50th birthday :D https://everesting.cc/

Hi @Rat congrats on doing an Everesting - a huge effort .

Not sure about the new knees as my surgeon keeps saying hold off. I know of several who have had it done and some are great with some having bad results . The one cyclists I know who had replacements said he feels like he has no more power in his legs and really struggle on hills . He is a very fit and activate man who has never taken any shortcuts with rehab .

I have a couple of mates who are being told to wait also, each case is different and if you can put up with your pain level then waiting is probably best. I hope they find a way to regrow knee cartilage with stem cells soon, I will have some new spinal discs while I'm there :)

Best of luck with your knees, most of us will find we develop some hurdles as we age but we must strive to jump them and keep active. I suffered badly with spinal arthritis for years, but now I have been in total remission for a few years, fingers crossed. Probably related I now have osteoporosis in hips and spine and I'm on medication to help, not a great diagnosis for a MTB XC racer who also likes the gnarly enduro stuff.

Over the last 4 years I have broken 9 bones, 7 of them were in the one stack, just this year I decided to give up Enduro racing, I still ride the enduro trails but not at race pace and only go for Strava times on the uphills. I'm am still racing XC because I'm less likely to have a big crash on the rocks doing that.

Just last weekend I had a crash at 30kmph on a social ride and landed on my side including my hip, it was scary not knowing if I was going to break. But I was fine and kept riding, I had already slowed down because the trail was slippery but was unlucky this time, I don't crash often, probably been a year since my last one.

I'm browsing the net for hip pads ATM, just found some good ones that strap over or under your clothes on a wide velco belt at the Independence Australia webpage, they also sell incontinence aids, glad I don't need them yet. That said I did one do a multi day stage race with a dude who had his bowel removed and was wearing a colostomy bag under his kit, keep on riding :D