Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Williams 1980 flipper rebuild kit

It is but you can do better by installing this kit...

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/playfield-parts/flipper-rebuild-kit/a-13524-8-08-93-10-98.html

It has better flipper links, external tension spring design instead of the earlier compression spring design as well as the spring attachments, better pawl bolt and nut setup and will need you to fit the parts as required.

What you would be doing is UPGRADING your old flipper system using these late model parts that the factory themselves found were an improvement over the older system parts and they certainly are but you do need to fit them. Heaps on the net about this upgrade but I would highly recommend taking the time.

It isn't difficult but you do need to drill a hole in the EOS bracket to mount the now tension spring and your back stop holes will need to be re-tapped to suit the larger bolts to suit the larger holes in your new backstop brackets.....

The original bolts broke regularly that is why the factory went to large bolts about 6 machines after your Scorpion. The parts are all the same other than that BUT you will need to order the earlier system 6-7 EOS switches and not use the later Fliptronics switches supplied in that kit I linked to.

These EOS switches are not compatible so it is essential you order system 6-7 EOS switches should you do this upgrade. The Fliptronics EOS contacts are designed to handle low voltage with no current and are gold contacts where as the earlier pre Fliptronics are designed for switching the flipper power high voltage and a lot of current and are tungsten contacts.

If you have any doubts and just want to "fit" old parts for new go the kit you linked to.

If you want better flippers and understand what I am saying is necessary, go the kit I linked to but order the right EOS switches as well to suit.

We have them as well and can substitute for high voltage eos

That is really good you are prepared to substitute the EOS @Ballypinball as it is such a good, very common upgrade for people to do on their early model pre fliptronics machines.

Good on you I say helping to make good even better.

Great thread, thx!

2 Qs:

Who is bally pinball

Any tips on tapping, seen the tool at bunnings but no idea how to go about it

Tap on Bally pinball name and therez a option to visit homepage, website.

Heres a lot more good info:

VID's Guide to Upgrading/Rebuilding Flippers | Tech: Generic | Pinside.com

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Great thread, thx!

2 Qs:

Who is bally pinball

Any tips on tapping, seen the tool at bunnings but no idea how to go about it

You can just swap the early model flipper mounting plates for late model ones and the holes are already done and are a direct replacement for the earlier plates or else you drill out the original threaded holes used to mount the coil backstops with a drill size that is two sizes smaller than the new bolts so the tapping tool's thread can cut a new larger thread in the metal.

You now have threads in your old plates that suit the new larger bolts. A bit of practice and you can do a thread in about 5 minutes and you have 4 to do.

What you will then have are links that don't break or wear as quick, (they all wear out over time).

Pawl bolts that are much easier to do future repairs with as you no longer need both a spanner and Allen key to adjust them, only an allen key as the nut can't spin.

Tension springs that don't bind being crushed on the plunger preventing damaged to the coil sleeves and require less effort for the coil to compress.

Tension springs handle being stretched better than compression springs being squashed.

Overall the later flipper mechs last longer and stay in adjustment for longer requiring less maintenance and are a lot easier to work with while looking pretty much exactly the same.

They are basically the exact same design used from 1980 odd to 2000 but just had a few upgrades to improve the design along the way. All you are doing is swapping the parts that were improved over the time.

Here’s all bits I used for my Firepower II upgrade. I added the capacitors. Your coils will be lower voltage.

The 28volt flipper coils are the same physical size as the later 50 volt versions and fit straight in.

The capacitors are recommended, they help preserve the EOS contacts but I like to fit them on a small board and attach it to the flipper base plate instead of the EOS bracket. Less vibration there and it also keeps them out of the way.

That look about right @Autosteve?

[ATTACH]131746[/ATTACH]

Yep that is good enough. I have just put a small bolt and nut through the existing hole beside that hole drilled in your example. Saves drilling the hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool! Can u use these caps on all high voltage EOS setups? What caps do u recommend?

Yep, any DC flipper coil that uses EOS switches just don't put them near a Fliptronics setup.

I use these ones. Overkill but convenient to get and they do the job perfectly...

https://www.jaycar.com.au/10nf-630vdc-polyester-capacitor/p/RG5201

Try to mount the cap on the base plate rather than up on the EOS itself because the leads out of the cap don't handle the vibration on the EOS for very long.

Better to have the cap in circuit mounted on the flipper base plate using a suitable cable clamp. They pretty much don't break then.