Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bartronica what are you doing?

I decided to hit up Bartronica the other night with my mate, we do this pretty much once a year and Friday was our day! we pretty much wanted to get stuck into their DK cab over several drinks, but to our shock upon arrival they got rid of it some weeks back as it was beyond repair apparently...... Really! So once we got over that we got stuck into some games and drinks and in the place of DK was now their new Nintendo addition Popeye. Never played it so now was a good time and i sucked at it. under closer inspection the 4 way joystick was so slack that when you let it go from a direction it would take a good 2 seconds to center again, this and a few other cabs like marvel vs street fighter had multiple buttons that didn't work at all which made game- play impossible. Like really c'mon guys these are the easy fixes. all in all was still a good couple of hours, we let the dude behind the bar know of the issues so hopefully next visit they are in working condition again.

ok bitch over :)

And the guy behind the bar obviously isn't trusted with the keys to games either i might add. I was there for a few games on Friday arvo and some bloke playing the Iron Maiden pro got a ball stuck......guy behind the bar response, let's whack the side of the cab and shake the fecker :unsure It worked admittedly but i was watching and cringing the whole time :o

And the guy behind the bar obviously isn't trusted with the keys to games either i might add. I was there for a few games on Friday arvo and some bloke playing the Iron Maiden pro got a ball stuck......guy behind the bar response, let's whack the side of the cab and shake the fecker :unsure It worked admittedly but i was watching and cringing the whole time :o

I may have walked past you many times Friday lol, I was there from pretty much open to 3.

i have a strange feeling the owner isn't a full on retro head, it's just a business he has put money into, I could be way off but that's the vibe I get.

I may have walked past you many times Friday lol, I was there from pretty much open to 3.

i have a strange feeling the owner isn't a full on retro head, it's just a business he has put money into, I could be way off but that's the vibe I get.

Think we didn't get there til about 3.30, but if you saw 2 blokes and 1 of them had a beard up to his eyeballs (my bro), then YUP :)

The Popeye is all original. The stick probably just needs re-greasing. Those Nintendo sticks usual do after many years of play.

The DK is not beyond repair.. Who said that? Haha [emoji14] They normally take machines out while they are getting worked on. The challenges of operating 30 year old gear I guess..

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

The Popeye is all original. The stick probably just needs re-greasing. Those Nintendo sticks usual do after many years of play.

The DK is not beyond repair.. Who said that? Haha [emoji14] They normally take machines out while they are getting worked on. The challenges of operating 30 year old gear I guess..

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

The joystick would be fine I'm sure, they just have to do some maintenance every now and then. The dude behind the bar was saying it was rooted, the pcb only just got fixed and while it was away they chucked in a dk Jr same cab and now is gone, bit weird

let's whack the side of the cab and shake the fecker It worked admittedly but i was watching and cringing the whole time

in the guys defense, Who here hasn't done that at least once in their lives ? lol.

If he had the keys why didn't he open it?

in the guys defense, Who here hasn't done that at least once in their lives ? lol.

Yeah true :D guilty with my own machines but if the ball is obviously stuck it's out with the keys. I'm not sure i'd be doing that with a new Maiden if and when i get one.

- - - Updated - - -

If he had the keys why didn't he open it?

But that is my point, it took some fairly violent shaking of the cab (much more than an average player would in a game) and several hard'ish whacks to move the unstuck ball so i'm guessing he doesn't have access to the keys.

Nah they have the keys cos they turned the volume up when I was there.

Interestingly when I was there had a bartender reach over the game to get empty glasses when I was playing. You would think they had half an idea given they are working in a barcade...

That Popeye machine is a beautiful cabinet and was working perfectly fine when I played it last (two friday nights ago...)

Pity it doesn't save the high scores though, as I'd probably play it a lot more than I have done (I've completed the game on C64 but not on arcade yet...)

Regarding the DK cabinet - If you'd followed their FB updates, you'd probably have known about their woes with this cabinet.

It has been gone for awhile now. DK Junior was operating in its place for a bit as well - but that slot is now taken by the fairly popular Ice Cold Beer game. I only really know this as I tend to lurk around the 1942 cabinet which is right next to where the DK machine was - love that game! :)

If I was to voice a minor gripe with Bartronica, it would be the slackness in updating/modernising the high score board. They only have to look at the Netherworld to see how it's done properly. It's not asking too much to give respect to the gamers as a barcade. Also, I was slightly disappointed with their not making the attempt to play in "Battle of the Arcades" but given the organisation and logistics involved, that decision was probably logical and understandable. Thankfully though, Pixel Alley stepped up for Victorian arcade fans and made it happen.

I still need to get to Ms Bartronica one of these days...I wonder if the games there have changed much since it opened?

Regarding the DK cabinet - If you'd followed their FB updates, you'd probably have known about their woes with this cabinet.

It has been gone for awhile now. DK Junior was operating in its place for a bit as well - but that slot is now taken by the fairly popular Ice Cold Beer game. I only really know this as I tend to lurk around the 1942 cabinet which is right next to where the DK machine was - love that game! :)

Hadn't seen their facebook, had just noticed on Instagram that they had a Jr board in the dk cab so I asked and they replied that the DK was in for repairs, weeks later I noticed they had it back up and working again along with the new popeye, I asked if it was back and they said it was and that was maybe maybe 2 months ago, obviously there were more issues, thought they would still keep the cab though, maybe they have and will bring it back later on, Im just going by the barstaff who may not even know.

If I was to voice a minor gripe with Bartronica, it would be the slackness in updating/modernising the high score board. They only have to look at the Netherworld to see how it's done properly. It's not asking too much to give respect to the gamers as a barcade. Also, I was slightly disappointed with their not making the attempt to play in "Battle of the Arcades" but given the organisation and logistics involved, that decision was probably logical and understandable. Thankfully though, Pixel Alley stepped up for Victorian arcade fans and made it happen.

This is why I think its owned by some guy that's not into the hobby and its just a business to them, if you cared for this stuff you would update score, maintain your gear and most of all teach the staff how to treat your expensive pins lol.

I was over in Melbourne recently and went to Bartronica.

Very disappointed.

About three quarters of the machines swallowed my money and didn't give me a credit, or the coin just came straight back out.

The barman was miserable and there was two really loud, obnoxious guys at the bar who were wasted, dropping glasses, and striding about the place. Had the feel it could kick off if you gave them the wrong look or bumped into them.

Was with my wife, so played a few games and left.

When I was there they had DK junior in the DK cab.

Don't think I would go back.

I was over in Melbourne recently and went to Bartronica.

Very disappointed.

About three quarters of the machines swallowed my money and didn't give me a credit, or the coin just came straight back out.

The barman was miserable and there was two really loud, obnoxious guys at the bar who were wasted, dropping glasses, and striding about the place. Had the feel it could kick off if you gave them the wrong look or bumped into them.

Was with my wife, so played a few games and left.

When I was there they had DK junior in the DK cab.

Don't think I would go back.

Thats disappointing mate, I did wonder if the place would attracted those kinds of people or if it would be easy going just being gamers playing games with some drinks. Not sure how a full on arcade with no bar would go, would there be enough business in it.

Thats disappointing mate, I did wonder if the place would attracted those kinds of people or if it would be easy going just being gamers playing games with some drinks. Not sure how a full on arcade with no bar would go, would there be enough business in it.

Yeah, maybe I was just unlucky on the night I went. It was a Friday around 8pm.

You would think that if a retro arcade with no drinks was done properly, with a flat entry fee, Melbourne would be busy enough to support it.

But I imagine people have done the sums and it isn't, or it would have been done by now.

I've always wondered how a Taito Station type arcade would do in Melbourne, you really can't find anything like them unless you go to Japan. In Australia there is no where in public that I know of to play Cave boards, Gunslinger Stratos, Taiko, Groove Coaster etc. The major arcades here are all driving, light gun and redemption games. The barcades are MK, NBA JAM, Simpsons, TMNT and whatever else they can find to put around those. Same old shit most people have played a million times. Would love somewhere that wasn't just for nostalgia and kids. Probably wouldn't make good business sense but I can dream. If I ever want to play an EXA with AKA to Blue I'll probably have to go to Japan or import it myself.

Wow never heard of 1UP but just googled and checked out some pics, looks kind of exactly what I had in mind and absolutely awesome! Thanks for mentioning it. I need to take a trip to Brisbane for a weekend just to check it out. Also gives me hope something like that can survive in Australia in 2018.

Wow never heard of 1UP but just googled and checked out some pics, looks kind of exactly what I had in mind and absolutely awesome! Thanks for mentioning it. I need to take a trip to Brisbane for a weekend just to check it out. Also gives me hope something like that can survive in Australia in 2018.

It's a lot of fun, the only drawback is the location. It's in the burbs or Brisbane in Morningside. I head down there once a month or so with some mates to play some games, we always have a good time. With 100 or so arcade machines, the only problem is ensuring all the monitors are good quality. While plenty are, there's a lot that need adjustment. Still, for $25 for arcade and pinball, I always get my money's worth. I head down with a few local AAers and we stash beers in a cooler in the car of a mate who doesn't drink. We play games, then duck out for footpath beers. Keeping it classy :lol

It's a lot of fun, the only drawback is the location. It's in the burbs or Brisbane in Morningside. I head down there once a month or so with some mates to play some games, we always have a good time. With 100 or so arcade machines, the only problem is ensuring all the monitors are good quality. While plenty are, there's a lot that need adjustment. Still, for $25 for arcade and pinball, I always get my money's worth. I head down with a few local AAers and we stash beers in a cooler in the car of a mate who doesn't drink. We play games, then duck out for footpath beers. Keeping it classy [emoji38]

Doesn't get much classier. Although once there's a hot box as well it'll lift the standards a bit [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk