Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Taito Cocktail Clone Repair Help

mattman

Question

Hi All,

Just picked up a Taito cocktail clone from another AA member. When power is turned on, the screen lights up but a baking electronics smell is noticeable and seems to be coming from near the coin box. Meanwhile, there is a clicking noise coming from an aluminium box located on the back of the coin box, like a contact or relay clicking.

Can anyone please tell me what this little aluminium box is / does, and what might be causing the constant clicks. Also any pointers on the burning smell would be fantastic.

The first picture is the mystery aluminium box attached to the back of the coin box, and the second is a board in the same vicinity, but situated on top of the coin box.

Interestingly, the behavior is the same with or without the 3 layer game board fitted, so am keen to move forward from this point as I don't yet know if the game board is good.

20180621_205353_001.jpg

20180621_205310_002.jpg

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance. :)

Cheers,

Matt

6 answers to this question

The mystery aluminium box is most likely for the coin counter, it stops the coin count increasing when the box is removed.

There should be a set of pins or something on the back of the coin box that closes the contacts when inserted.

The clicking is possibly the coin cointer constantly clicking over due to a fault somewhere (powering it up continuously.).

Edited by Kaizen

Hi Kaizen,

Thank you so much for your reply. From reading posts in AA I know you are a wealth of knowledge on SI and the like (Matt bows down chanting "We're not worthy"). I'm sorry I missed out on the upright SI you sold for $1000, I'm too old and slow but would have loved to purchase.

Would it be possible for you to suggest where I might start troubleshooting, or if you have experienced this before in your travels.

I have only had some experience with younger machines, but this one is special as it reminds me of my childhood in the 70's / 80's and in no way is this clone going to be changed to LCD or 60-in-1.

Old skool all the way!

Thanks again for any of your valuable advice.

Humbly yours,

Matt

The mystery aluminium box is most likely for the coin counter, it stops the coin count increasing when the box is removed.

There should be a set of pins or something on the back of the coin box that closes the contacts when inserted.

The clicking is possibly the coin cointer constantly clicking over due to a fault somewhere (powering it up continuously.).

First off don't power the cab up with the game board connected, if it's missing any of the three voltages you could damage the RAM etc on the board (if it's not already cactus).

I would start with the sniff test, remove the board on top of the coin box and see if you can locate the smell from there, if so then give it a good visual inspection both on top and the track side of the PCB.

Some pics of the cab and game board would be helpful.

Hi Kaizen,

Thanks for your reply. I will upload the photos when I get home from work. I will also follow your instructions and see if I can locate any visual issues / smells emanating from the board on top of the coin box.

As an FYI, please see this post as it already has some pics attached: https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/82503-Pick-up-this-clean-Cocktai-with-a-l-Nichibutsu-3-Layer-Board-6

I'll get back with more info.

Cheers,

Matt

Ah yes, I was considering buying that one but I have too many projects on the go at the moment.

If you're in Brisbane you're welcome to bring it around and I can take a look at it for you and test the game board.

Hi Kaizen,

I live in Caboolture and thank you for the fantastic offer to check the game board for me. I will certainly take you up on that depending on the outcome of this repair.

Cheers,

Matt