Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Internet speed shame!

So I'm visiting Tokyo with my family for a couple of weeks and staying in an AirBNB.

WIFI is provided in the apartment and this is what the speedtest results look like......

How much is Australia 'investing' in the NBN again??? :redface

1960885228_ScreenShot2018-06-23at6_36_23pm.png.5a563b58313c9cca49ac980cc6adc363.png

wowsers. and the upload is almost 3x higher than the download, meaning the download is probably a Gigabit connection at full potential (1000Mbps) :blink: - d/load a 1080p movie in around 30 seconds.

Launceston/TAS has Gigabit connections last year I read somewhere ?

Think of all the money we paid in taxes for the NBN, billions upon billions all up. Now think about its quality, performance and longevity. Kind of pisses you off hey.

I have more insult added to injury in that we still don't have NBN available at my suburban house.

Think of all the money we paid in taxes for the NBN, billions upon billions all up. Now think about its quality, performance and longevity. Kind of pisses you off hey.

I have more insult added to injury in that we still don't have NBN available at my suburban house.

we don't either, and not til apr-jun next year... (regional far south coast NSW)

And this the shit I’m subjected to since moving to Mount Dandenong. $100 a month for it too.

July next year for nbn. It’s a joke.

ed30b71dda6d45a25a47c1cf2d44db4d.png

Your doing better than me at Carrum Downs Vic 0.9 for downloads and 0.60 for upload, I have given up online gaming because I fire 100 bullets at someone and none ever hit them ! So I have walked away from internet gaming and play my pinballs more, no issue with up load or down load speeds there ! :lol

So I'm visiting Tokyo with my family for a couple of weeks and staying in an AirBNB.

WIFI is provided in the apartment and this is what the speedtest results look like......

How much is Australia 'investing' in the NBN again??? :redface

[ATTACH=CONFIG]131518[/ATTACH]

and People laughed when some said EDIT Wireless is the future not fixed Line.

Its not possible they said. lol

Edited by jason1

and People laughed when some said Wifi is the future not fixed Line.

Its not possible they said. lol

I don't think you understand. That wifi goes in to a fixed line, likely gigabit fibre optic. He's not talking mobile/5g etc.

Wireless (802.11*) is shit. It cannot compete with the dedicated bandwidth available on a fixed line, it must be shared with everyone else within signal range.

I mean, just look at the standard side by side. Ethernet was running at 100mbit and 1gbit when wireless was still piss farting around at 54mbit- AND that 54mbit is only available when one one else within radio distance is communicating.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my NBN at the moment:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7416177487.png

It's sad that because the Liberals stuffed fibre to the home it can not really get better without major works. If it was fibre, upgrade the transceivers at each end and ta-da 10gbit links. Now, not possible and everyone thinks the whole thing was a waste of money.

*sigh*

I don't think you understand. That wifi goes in to a fixed line, likely gigabit fibre optic. He's not talking mobile/5g etc.

Wireless (802.11*) is shit. It cannot compete with the dedicated bandwidth available on a fixed line, it must be shared with everyone else within signal range.

I mean, just look at the standard side by side. Ethernet was running at 100mbit and 1gbit when wireless was still piss farting around at 54mbit- AND that 54mbit is only available when one one else within radio distance is communicating.

yer I understand that, its obvious you need an optic backbone, no one is denying that.

Doubters talk like tech cant change or improve, Look back 15 years ago to now and see how much tech has changed, and people seriously think Wireless tech wont improve even get smaller?

Fiber to a tower is a hell of allot cheaper than cables running to every single home in the country. its stupid.

originally people said it was impossible for large numbers of people to have high speed EDIT (Wireless) internet in a heavily dense area because it would be too slow with all those connections, now that has been proven wrong by 5g tests.

Japan, Korea, China, india and the US all investing in 5g and beyond, and moving away from fixed line to the home, and here we spending our money connecting every one via cable.

It only makes sense that in a world where we are increasingly being wireless we wouldnt look at wireless tech to the home.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Edited by jason1

I'm finding your moving of terminology confusing.

WiFi is not 3g/4g/5g/etc it is a separate local area network technology.

The Japanese connection above is almost certainly a fixed line.

Wireless WAN may in some instances have a lower install cost, but it will not be faster than a fixed line.

I'm finding your moving of terminology confusing.

WiFi is not 3g/4g/5g/etc it is a separate local area network technology.

The Japanese connection above is almost certainly a fixed line.

Wireless WAN may in some instances have a lower install cost, but it will not be faster than a fixed line.

Yer Sorry about the confusion, I checked backed And as you noticed I had typed that wrong, I did mean to put Wireless not Wifi, Ive edited that, Ive had a big week, worked 14 days straight so messed that up, cheers

Does it need tobe faster than a fixed line ? It only needs tobe comparable to a fixed high speed connection or very close to the speed of a fixed line tobe better, There are a hell of allot of advantages to being wireless than it is wired.

People are already wanting and needing High speed internet on mobile devices. so combined with cost on taxpayers and hopefully on peoples bills

And this the shit I’m subjected to since moving to Mount Dandenong. $100 a month for it too.

July next year for nbn. It’s a joke.

You're just on the wrong side of the hill ;)

This is mine (non-nbn).

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7416380183.png

Just looked up my address as I hadn't checked nbn status in a while

"Planned technology:

nbn™ Fibre to the curb (FTTC)*."

awwww sweet!

"Planned availability: Jan-Jun 2020*."

ahh sheet. oh well 100mb/s is fine :)

• Super Moderator

Sigh - NBN web site says we’re going to get it in 2nd half of 2020, and when we do it’ll be to the node...sigh... just as well I like buffering and 2-4mbs (pesky teenagers in their bedrooms using all my bandwidth i reckon)

Oh, and I’m not out in the sticks, 12kms from Brisbane CBD

I cant imagine what those speeds in Japan must let you do, unreal

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

Does it need tobe faster than a fixed line ? It only needs tobe comparable to a fixed high speed connection or very close to the speed of a fixed line tobe better, There are a hell of allot of advantages to being wireless than it is wired.

People are already wanting and needing High speed internet on mobile devices. so combined with cost on taxpayers and hopefully on peoples bills

Yes speed is important, and fixed tends to have higher speeds, lower latency, less jitter and be way way way cheaper per megabyte transmitted and received. I'm talking globally, not the crap we call internet here. Fixed tends to be harder to eavesdrop on and a bunch of other things to.

Historically, as bandwidth has increased, more applications are found at the bleeding edge that push for more. Dedicated connections are where this is happening.

Maybe at some stage the speed & cost of wireless will compare, but in the next decade or two I don't see that being the case, especially given that wireless shares a common medium between all users. I'll be very happy if I'm wrong though.

I cant imagine what those speeds in Japan must let you do, unreal

Surprisingly little. You'll start seeing the limitations in what the service you are connecting to.

You are less impacted by others on the same connection but that is it.

At my particular work location (disclaimer : I work for an communications company) we're sitting on multiple stupidly large connections and I can only sometimes tell the difference between it and my house.

Upload is the biggest difference and is what I wished was a symmetric connection but I understand why it isn't in a residential situation.

Being able to sync up a few gb of photo's to my google drive in minutes would be nice but is only possible from my work desk right now. But one day ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Internet speed shame!

Maybe at some stage the speed & cost of wireless will compare, but in the next decade or two I don't see that being the case, especially given that wireless shares a common medium between all users. I'll be very happy if I'm wrong though.

5g technologies are really going to push the speed barriers. The new netgear nighthawk mobile router just hit over 2Gbps earlier this week (in a testing environment).

I'd think that retail wireless prices aren't going to move THAT much in the future. They'll be comparable to fixed (if not slightly worse value).

It may however occur that telstra does a big mic drop and adds a plan (via their wireless services not nbn) that destroys the viability of some low end nbn plans for some households.

There won't be a huge amount of competition in the wireless wholesale space as it's far too costly to become a new competitor. Perhaps Verizon or at&t could start 5g services, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm technically metro Sydney, although rural. They connected the NBN to the township, but it seems didn't upgrade the backhaul. It has killed my ADSL speeds which were already shit to begin with. I sync at 5mbit but can't download anything. Can hardly load a website between 6pm and 10pm, its shit.

The worst part is the NBN runs past my street and everyone in the street is happy to pay to run it down the street, but you can't do that supposedly until you have an NBN connection. So now we've got to wait till they connect the wireless which is second part of 2020.

I can get 20mbit on telstra 4g during peak hours so i'm thinking of doing that.

Your doing better than me at Carrum Downs Vic 0.9 for downloads and 0.60 for upload, I have given up online gaming because I fire 100 bullets at someone and none ever hit them ! So I have walked away from internet gaming and play my pinballs more, no issue with up load or down load speeds there ! :lol

Wow that's crazy even with telstra.

Here's mine with optus in Lilydale

VPN

_20180624_095607.thumb.jpg.da41ada7d6130e61f0792d5dd767de9b.jpg

Without VPN

_20180624_095546.thumb.jpg.63dcb30332e9e71151b66196f47c8b63.jpg

And for the hell of it 4G

_20180624_100353.thumb.jpg.81836f664637afeea85d5e1509f4dc8f.jpg

So morning speeds are even better it seems!

It is pretty incredible but Koops is right the real world difference for 'normal' usage is slight. It honestly doesn't feel much different.

The difference starts to show though if both my kids and my wife are on devices all streaming 4k content - the sort of load that Sydney internet would start to buckle under is no problem here.

Will post up when I find some pinball here in my free time during the week - I've got a couple of leads.

141042348_ScreenShot2018-06-24at9_00_19am.png.0599d9fb9d88dd04732438dda0bb23e8.png

You're just on the wrong side of the hill ;)

This is mine (non-nbn).

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7416380183.png

Just looked up my address as I hadn't checked nbn status in a while

"Planned technology:

nbn[emoji769] Fibre to the curb (FTTC)*."

awwww sweet!

"Planned availability: Jan-Jun 2020*."

ahh sheet. oh well 100mb/s is fine :)

Show off. We can’t get anything but adsl. Have tried. The fact telstra refuse to offer a decent 4g plan to people on shit adsl and a long way from exchanges I reckon is discrimination.

They sold me an unlimited data entertainment package with Telstra TV which can’t be used because of the shit connection speed. In short they are selling something that can’t be used.

Fighting with Telstra with it at the moment. I think it’s an accc or ombudsman time.

04852d5b4e04772effcac7dec6286630.png

This is my Telstra 4g on the hill. Kicks the shit out of my $100 a month Telstra adsland id be happy with this.

Telstra 4g plans for home? $70 per month for 50gb!!

Useless. Can’t tell me 4g data costs them anything anymore.

Show off. We can’t get anything but adsl. Have tried. The fact telstra refuse to offer a decent 4g plan to people on shit adsl and a long way from exchanges I reckon is discrimination.

They sold me an unlimited data entertainment package with Telstra TV which can’t be used because of the shit connection speed. In short they are selling something that can’t be used.

Fighting with Telstra with it at the moment. I think it’s an accc or ombudsman time.

Get a complaint number first from Telstra. Then go to the ombudsman. If you can record the times and operator IDs of the call centre people you've dealt with that's helpful too.